X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Codes of Life

So, just a few things today:

Thing Number 1:

I work in a hospital, and everyonce in while they will call "Codes" over head through the PA system. Like Code Red=Fire, Code Green= Mass Casualty, Code Pink=Baby Abduction..you get the idea.

So, we also have a Code 8 = Short term manpower needed. Basically someone somewhere is going apeshit and they need strong un's to keep them down/calm.

So I hear this this morning, over the PA being broadcast to the ENTIRE hospital.

Overhead Lady:Um..A Code, theres a code Room. Oh..what? *pause*Oh. Code 8-0 room 501.*pause* Um, in room 501.*silence for over minute* Wait. I mean Code 8, Code 8 room 501.

Wow, really? They didnt tell you what to say before you picked up that reciever? Holy shit....listening to that kicked off my migraine this morning.

Thing Number 2:as relayed by a family member

So, a family member of mine works at a big home imporovement store down in Florida and shared this story.

One day a woman comes up to the customer service desk, screaming her head off. "MY BABY MY BABY!! I CANT FIND MY SON! SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!!

Being the compliant store that it is, they initiate a "Code Adam", which means they lock down the store and no one goes in or out til the kid is found.

After over 30 minutesof completely shutting down business to search for this kid, a man approaches the doors and trys to get it. An employee standing outside that due to the "Code Adam" no one can get in or out.

He says " Well, my mom went in there about 40 minutes ago and hasnt come out yet. Ive been waiting for her in the car."

At this point, the woman who has lost her child starts wailing and freaking out since the search for her kid is taking so long. The guy who had just walked up, looks through the glass and says:

Any guesses???

*JEAOPARDY THEME*

So, the guys says "HEY! Theres no mom!! Whys she freaking out like that?!?"

Employee had an look on his face. "Thats your mom?" he said "Do you have a little brother?"

Guy: "No, im an only child. Why?"

Employee: "Your mom said that her son was missing and we started this code until we find him"

Guy: My moms schizophrenic....you might want to call this whole thing off now.

So, they let the guy inside to comfort his mom and management checks the security tapes. His mom had walked in by herself....

Quoth Amina516 View Post
    management checks the security tapes. His mom had walked in by herself....
    Uh, why wasn't this done straight away...? Having had a similar experience before reviewing the CCTV was the 1st action to see when/who they entered with and when/if/who they exited with.
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Wow. Maybe he should go in with his Mom from now on?
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
        Uh, why wasn't this done straight away...? Having had a similar experience before reviewing the CCTV was the 1st action to see when/who they entered with and when/if/who they exited with.

To be honest, Im not too sure. But having not worked retail with an event like this happening, would they take the time to view the tapes before locking down the doors? Giving potential kidnappers the time to get way?

And yes, EQ..Im thinking he best not be letting mom go out by herself anymore...or at least make sure shes properly medicated...

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
          would they take the time to view the tapes before locking down the doors?
          You can do both at the same time...
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
            You can do both at the same time...
            LMAO!!

Sorry..Multi-tasking is not one of my talents...

Comment

Speaking of codes, the hospital I'm rotating through at the moment does their's kinda weird. Code Blue (no heartbeat, no breathing) is only for the ER. If a person's vitals crash anywhere else, it's Code 4, <area>. They had one in Dietary the other day, whatever that is.

Everywhere else I've been, Code Blue has been the standard no matter where it happens.
              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                Speaking of codes, the hospital I'm rotating through at the moment does their's kinda weird. Code Blue (no heartbeat, no breathing) is only for the ER. If a person's vitals crash anywhere else, it's Code 4, <area>. They had one in Dietary the other day, whatever that is.

Everywhere else I've been, Code Blue has been the standard no matter where it happens.

Same here. Its always been Code blue. Now if someone is on the *verge* of coding, they call a "Rapid Response Team". Which i think makes no sense b/c its the same type and amount of people.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post

We're kind of the opposite. Code Blue is called everywhere in the hospital, but in the ED, if it's a Code coming in from the field we're able to get the appropriate staff there ahead of time. If it happens after they've arrived, then we'll call a Code overhead.

We have a Rapid Response team as well. If you follow our hospital policy, the patient shouldn't have deteriorated to near-Code status before the team is contacted. The purpose of the Rapid Response team in our facility is to avoid patients ever reaching that level.
                  Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.---Bullet Tooth Tony

Comment

At my store:

Blue Service=medical emergency, trained personnel report to the location of a serious customer injury/illness.

Red Service=uncooperative shoplifter, anybody 18 years of age or older proceed to the front of the store so that the shoplifter can be detained and/or the LP person doesn't get his/her ass kicked too seriously.

Green Service=lost child, everybody listen for a description of the child and search the store until he/she is found.

Code Pink=a certain mentally-unstable customer has entered the store, make yourself scarce so you don't have to listen to her Tourettes-esque outbursts, her repeated, senseless demands or her outraged rants against nobody in particular.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Haha, IP, I love code pink. That's very smart of ya'll.
                      "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Reminds me of the mon-tues site I worked at at the last security job... had a few cod <colors> with two fun ones,

an airplane impact was code Red and Black...which would likely cause confusioon, since people would definately hear the red (fire part) but probably not the black (explosion).

And I still swear that the person doing it was on something...code for an outbreak was code plaid....well I guess it's ok since the color scheme they used for it was about the same as what an out break would do...

yeah that was a special group (had to change their ERP)...glad to be away from there.

Comment

In the hospital I work in, a medical emergency is a Code 99 everywhere. When you get a code call, it comes in on a special red phone at the switchboard that is hardwired (i.e. old rotary phone in case the switchboard goes down for any reason). When you get the code, you have to announce overhead but then page specific personnel immediately in case they didn't hear the overhead announcement.

The problem is, the number for the Code Phone is one number off from the number for dietary. I can't tell you how many times you'll be sitting at the switchboard and the Code Phone rings and you just about crap your pants thinking "Oh, great, someone's dying, I hope I don't screw this up" and it turns out to be somebody ordering their lunch. Then the stupid jackass will call back like three times until you scream at them that they're calling the Code Phone and need to check their damn number.

Oh yeah, and a Code 7 is someone creating a disturbance. The only one I've had so far was a woman in the ER for detox running around naked behind the nurse's station and screaming that people were treating her "like a dog".

Comment

Quoth bunnyboy View Post
                            And I still swear that the person doing it was on something...code for an outbreak was code plaid....well I guess it's ok since the color scheme they used for it was about the same as what an out break would do...
                            My mom and I tend to joke around about the "threat level" in airports (one trip, it went up a level by the time our flight landed...WTF). Plaid is used when it's really not clear where things are at and why (hey, plaid can have red, orange, yellow and green so we've covered 4 of the 5).
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

We don't have a set of "codes" at the wholesale club, which is a shame, 'cuz we could really use them sometimes.

The only codes that do get used are unofficial ones that me and the rest of the FDLPs have come up with.

Mr. Bill, our main FDLP, is an older gentleman, has had blood clot problems in his leg, and sometimes he needs TO GO, if you catch my meaning. Since we don't want him making a mess at the front door, we will send someone up straight away if he calls up a "Code Yellow."

If I'm at the door on days when auditors are expected to show up, I'll tell the MODs, "If I see an Auditor or Home Office person walk in, I'll radio up a "Code Alpha."" You know, as the "heads up, Corporate Bigwigs are in the building" alert.

They tried to institute a "Priority One, Food Court," code as the heads-up call, but the GM (who wanted it used) failed to tell the other managers about it, resulting in several MODs wandering up to the food court after I called it in.
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X