We've actually had the BBB called on our hotel. The complaint was that a bag of dirty underwear disappeared from a room. The guest thought that our housekeepers might have thrown it away by accident, and that may be the case because the guest admitted she'd left the bag next to the trash can, but the housekeepers didn't know one way or another.
We told her we'd call her if we found it. We never found it, and so we never called her. She started calling us, and spoke the manager, went ballistic, and hung up the phone. She wants us to cough up $75 for her underwear.
We explained in a letter to the BBB that essentially, when a guest signs that registration, they're signing a contract that allows us to get away with murder. If your things spontaneously burst into flames, disappear, or are ripped to shreds by marauding badgers, we're not responsible. Same thing if you happen to fall down the stairs, leap from the roof, or die or injure yourself in a grisly, but strangely hilarious accident involving confetti. If you're nice to us, we'll care about your problem, but we're not responsible.
Now we wait.
There's a creature on the lawn whose proportions are all wrong, and it stares at me with far too many eyes...