This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rare happy SC's

Had two today SC's today at the convenience store I work at. Most customers are great and there are plenty of regulars we love. So these are exceptions.

Rude, yet happy?
    The first was a woman who came in to ask if she could hang an advertisement on our door. I had seen a GSM (Guest Services manager) turn away someone asking to hang something before but I myself am not sure of the policy. So I said I wasn't sure and thought we just hung things like missing puppy posters. She came back 30 seconds later stating in that tone of voice "but there's a poster advertising something or other' I forget what. I told her she'd probably have to ask our manager or GSM (after 6pm there's never a manager of any kind). The thing that made her an SC was when she stated in a oddly happy and falsely polite voice that the water she had purchased was for the director and if we didn't hang it she might buy her water elsewhere. She also left the poster asking us to leave a note asking the manager about it. One of my coworkers and I both glanced at each other just because that threat to shop elsewhere came out of nowhere.

Please, for the love of god, hang up the phone
    The second was an older man who called in and said one of my coworkers (who is very new) transposed the last two digits of his phone number when typing it into the phone card machine. I believe my coworker when he said that he even read the number back to the man who had written it down and that the man must have mixed up his own number. Anyway, we couldn't just send him the minutes and refund the other number because we cannot do that without going through the manager and need a special code. Like I stated earlier, no manager after 6pm. He was very nice about the whole thing except he wouldn't stop talking about it and just get off the phone. We gave him every possibly relevant phone number, told him why we couldn't, apologized, etc....But he kept going on and on, about the most random stuff related to the phone card like how the money is split between our store, the machine company and the phone company. My coworker and I took turns on the phone trying to explain things to him multiple times.
    He must have kept us on the phone like 25 minutes at least. We tried to drop lines like "So Is there anything else we're able to do for you tonight or is that it?" and other cues that the conversation was over, but he missed them all. Finally I just lied and said I needed to get to the deli as a line was forming (it was actually slow, just 1 customer at that moment, woot)

Quoth evileatinggrasshopper View Post
    He must have kept us on the phone like 25 minutes at least. We tried to drop lines like "So Is there anything else we're able to do for you tonight or is that it?" and other cues that the conversation was over, but he missed them all. Finally I just lied and said I needed to get to the deli as a line was forming (it was actually slow, just 1 customer at that moment, woot)
    A rambler. A lot of older people do that.

My dad is like that. Seriously, he's killed my phone a few times because the battery died before the conversation!

I've now learned to always tell him that the 'battery' in my phone sucks, so I can only talk to him for about 20 minutes. It really makes the conversations more pleasant. 3 hour marathons are a bit much.

He once had a 4 hour conversation with someone when he dialed a wrong number. I felt sorry for them since it was mostly a one way conversation and the other person was too polite to hang up. I assume. Maybe it was a dead line?

Sorry, Dad! I love you, but c'mon, give it a rest once in a while!

Comment

AhhhhH! That must be my customer from about a month ago. We were towing his car for him and we had to call him multiple times and every time he'd keep us on the phone at LEAST 10 minutes (just to ask him a quick question) rambling about why he was up here and where he was going etc. etc. lol!!! I feel your pain!

Comment

Working...
      X