This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unhappy restaurant experience

This week is my sister's birthday, and since she's a freshman in college, her first away from home. So my husband and little sister and I went up for the weekend to visit her and give her a fun weekend. We took her out for dinner at a restaurant right next to our hotel, and I was very unhappy about one part of the night, but refused to go SC about it.

The restaurant was a home-cookin' with homemade pies type restaurant. My sister ordered Chicken Fried Steak. Hers was the only meal to come with soup ahead of time, so at least she had that. When we all got our meals, she happily started eating the CF Steak. A few bites into it and as she cut into it...blood seeped up into the country gravy. Oh, gross...undercooked... She was shook up, and we told her she could have them take it back and get her another, or order something completely different. But she was too nauseated by it and didn't want anything.

So we got the waitress' attention. She was extremely apologetic and offered to replace it, but we told her our sister didn't want that. She then offered my sister a free piece of pie as compensation. I thought this was a decent idea since the poorly prepared meal grossed her out and all the rest of us too. And of course it perked her up a bit and made the situation less ugly. A few minutes later the manager came out and apologized about the problem. We said it was okay, understandable; we aren't the type to throw fits. A few minutes later the waitress came out and said that the manager had told her she wasn't allowed to give my sister a free slice of pie. She said that the free pie thing was standard procedure with her other manager, but that this one was against that policy and she hadn't been working with this manager very long, and hadn't realized that. She felt really bad and even offered to pay for my sister's pie, but we declined. We did end up buying pie for all 4 of us.

The thing that upsets me about this is the manager's behavior. What is so wrong with giving the customer a little compensation when you bring their food out bloody and put them off their appetite? I guess I can understand him having his own policy of not doing this, perhaps he's been scammed into giving out free pie too many times in the past. But the dinner was quite obviously not alright (obvious we weren't just making up that we didn't like it and wanted something for nothing) AND the waitress had already made the offer (based on knowing the other manager's preferences). I think he should have made an exception rather than back out on it and making the poor waitress feel stupid. Basically, I wouldn't have been upset if there was no offer made, but I think it very un-classy for the manager to back out on the waitress' offer. Am I in the wrong here?

They did take the Chicken Fried Steak off our receipt, and the waitress left us a comment card. (Said that they give those out after every meal, but may have just been since we'd had a less-than-perfect experience) Everything else had been excellent, and we put that on there, with a 0 rating for Proper Food Preparation and an explanation that the steak wasn't cooked.
    Any fool can criticize, comdemn, and complain—and most do. ~ Dale Carnegie

Sarah: That's not fair!
    Jareth: You say that so often. I wonder what your basis for comparison is...

At the very least, the manager should have explained HIS policy about not giving freebies rather than embrassing the poor waitress by making her do it.

Comment

Eww! I have a pretty good idea how your sister must have felt. My wife and I stopped by a local restaurant a few years back, and I ordered a chicken filet sandwich. A few bites into it, the texture got really weird. I took a look, saw it was raw in the middle, and immediately began to freak out. I wasn't trying to cause a scene, I was just freaked out over the whole thing.

Fortunately, the manager was really nice about it, and not only did she have another sandwich made, she told us we could have our order, and anything else we wanted for free. I think she might have been worried that I was going to sue.

She also brought the cook out to apologize for it, which I thought was a bit much.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Ugh. That's just nasty!

Has anyone ever found a piece of glass in a drink? Several years ago, my then-gf and I had gone out to dinner. She likes a bit of sugar in her iced tea...and as she was adding it, it wasn't sinking to the bottom of the glass. Upon closer inspection, there was a 3-inch piece of glass in there

Turns out that some idiot in the kitchen broke a glass, and didn't bother tossing out the drinks. I called the manager over, and not only did the server apologize (even though it wasn't her fault), he did as well, and gave us a free dinner. Of course we also had dessert
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
          Has anyone ever found a piece of glass in a drink?
          Funny you should mention that. It happened to my wife, at the same place I mentioned above, on a different visit. Apparently there was a different manager there, because all she got was another drink. Not that we were out for freebies, but I would think that a piece of glass could do a lot more damage than a bite of raw chicken.

The waitress even expected the manager to give her something for it, but came back and told us, in her own words, that the manager was being an ass.

We had one more bad experience at that same place after that, and then stopped going there. We haven't been back since, expect I stopped there one Friday night just to pick up a six-pack, and the place was dead. The fact that it was dead on a Friday night leads me to believe that the place is in trouble.

Comment

Ewww....raw chicken? That manager was an ass!

I stopped going to Applebee’s b/c of the horrible food, staff and service. The last time I went - I ordered a strawberry daiquiri. Too a big sip when I got it - only to start choking. This was no ordinary choking - this was full blown, tears running down my face - OMFG I can't f*cking breathe panicked choking.

Not only did a single staff member come over to help me, (and I was seconds from blacking out from lack of air with hubby frantically pounding on my back) but I was given crap about it afterwards.

Upon inspection of my drink - there were pieces of plastic blended in with the drink and ice. I fished some out and showed them to the waiter. He looked at me with such a look of disdain and annoyance that I wanted to cry. I told him I wanted it taken off my bill as I nearly choked to death on it, and ordered a water.

He came back a VERY long time after with the water. He then asked me in a very snotty tone why I hadn't finished the drink.
            Because there are chunks of plastic in it I told him.

"Well, you may as well - it's *FREE* now!"

Me = WTF?????

I left ZERO tip for him. I didn't even bother complaining to the manager, as they never came over to see if the girl that almost choked to death was okay. Never gone there again. I've only choked like that 4 times in my life, and I remember every time. It's damn scary to not be able to breathe and slowly lose consciousness.

*NOTE: sorry to thread-jack, had to get it out.
            Last edited by Luna; 10-16-2006, 08:34 PM.
            If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

Quoth Luna View Post
              Ewww....raw chicken? That manager was an ass!
              Actually, the manager who was on at the time of the Raw Chicken incident was cool. That was when we got our meal, and anything else we wanted for free.

The one who was on when my wife got the drink with the piece of glass in it was the ass.

Quoth Luna View Post
              He came back a VERY long time after with the water. He then asked me in a very snotty tone why I hadn't finished the drink.
              Because there are chunks of plastic in it I told him.

"Well, you may as well - it's *FREE* now!"

Me = WTF?????
              WTF is right. I suppose I should have eaten the rest of the raw chicken sandwich, and my wife should have finished the drink with the glass in it, because they were "Free now."

I don't blame you for not leaving a tip. Most of us here don't do that lightly.

Glad you were OK after that.

Comment

I'm having a hard time understanding how one can be so grossed out by blood from a chicken fried steak that they wouldn't eat anything else. It's beef. Beef is constantly served like that in various forms, personally I think it's sacraligious to order a steak that is not bleeding at least a little bit. I can understand not liking beef rare to medium, and even I will admit that a chicken fried steak should not be served rare. But I think being so grossed out over it to the point that you won't eat something else is a bit overkill.

Poultry and pork are different issues all together. They need to be thoroughly cooked.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                  I'm having a hard time understanding how one can be so grossed out by blood from a chicken fried steak that they wouldn't eat anything else. It's beef.
                  It's a personal preference thing. I like my steaks a tad bit pink and my fiance likes them almost overdone. Some people just freak out (rightly or wrongly) when their food seems under cooked.

Comment

"Chicken" fried steak is beef? Confused now. I was right with the story up till then. Raw chicken is gross. Raw beef is not to my taste, but not unusual.

Comment

The issue is, the food was not cooked to order. I think it was highly unprofessional for the manager to back out on the waitress' offer of a free slice of pie. Perhaps she should not have made the offer without prior approval, but still...
                      He should have provided the pie along with the apology, and taken up the matter of procedure with the waitress later. Sounds to me like there is some inconsistency in policy going on in that restaurant which needs to be corrected.
                      I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                        "Chicken" fried steak is beef? Confused now. I was right with the story up till then. Raw chicken is gross. Raw beef is not to my taste, but not unusual.
                        Yeah, chicken fried steak is beef. Usually a cube steak coated in a batter or seasoned flour then fried and served with a white gravy. What it is exactly depends on what region of the country you are in. At least that's what Alton Brown says.

Comment

So ... where's "chicken" in the name come from?

More confused than ever.

However, now that it's clear the juicy meat in question was a steak - no problem. Sister needs to get over herself. Quite an over-reaction.

The pie should still have been provided, however. The waitress should've been admonished, but the promise kept.

Comment

One-Fang, I think the chicken refers to the breading they use on the steak. It's exactly the same you use to make fried chicken.
                            "I live in Los Angeles, and I was on the walk of fame. I was drunk, and I got a henna tattoo that says, 'Forever.'" -Zack Galifianakis

Call Sophia Moore or Kent E. Ryder for a good time!

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                              So ... where's "chicken" in the name come from?
                              I think it has to do with the method of preparing it is similar to the way you would fry a chicken, particularly the coating.

Comment

Working...
                              X