Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm goint to put myself into a self-induced coma...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm goint to put myself into a self-induced coma...

Yes, I will.

I was looking over the project calendar for early next year (Jan / Feb) and I noticed I don't have one..

Not two..

But THREE VoIP conversions. Two offices and a retail store.

The retail store is going to be a living hell and 8-10 hours overnight but they desperately need it. They're getting a new router (they're running off of a 10MbpS router - new one will be T1 speeds *and* have a built in wireless modem so if the T1s go out, they still have connectivity - pretty cool IMO). They're getting their 10MbpS switches replaced with 100MbpS switches. The new router also has built in VoIP which means I'll need to trace cables back so that the VoIP phones are plugged directly into the router.

Simple job. (Yeah, right.... )

The other two warrant the coma. We're doing them in offices. The good news is that there are no phones, this VoIP is going over the PCs (lucky us). One office is small - 20 workstations maybe 50 ports. The other office - 4 floors, over 1,000 ports. God save me please.

Well, at least I know I won't lose this job anytime before February!
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Quoth draggar View Post

The other two warrant the coma. We're doing them in offices. The good news is that there are no phones, this VoIP is going over the PCs (lucky us). One office is small - 20 workstations maybe 50 ports. The other office - 4 floors, over 1,000 ports. God save me please.

Well, at least I know I won't lose this job anytime before February!
    I hope you won't have to support the PCs after the soft phones are installed.

A nightmare to say the least. I was briefly involved with a project like that at a major bank here, and I'm glad I left the position when I did, based on the stories I keep hearing.

Good luck

B
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
    I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

I will have to support it but I pray we have an external team for that. I can just see all of the tickets coming in for bad headsets now...
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Heh, this is what I'm in the process of doing, still not as bad as yours though

Code:
        Internet <-> Asterisk Server <-> Switch <-> 3 Computers/5 IP Phones
        Oh, and I can't put a firewall between the modem and the server, because this VoIP provider doesn't allow there to be anything between their ATA (which will be replaced with the server, I managed to get a copy of their SIP settings and it works). The only way it works is if I use DMZ, but then whats the point of even having a firewall. Oh well, time to have a carefully configured iptables config. Will allow the SIP ports and port 80, nothing else. Well, maybe 25 and 995.

I also have to run the cable for this, and move the spot where the Rogers cable line enters the unit (I'd call them, but it's being placed in the same spot on the other side of the wall). Thankfully I picked up a 24 port switch for $5 at a charity garage sale where the people didnt know what it is.
        Otaku

Comment

Working...
        X