This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ye old sightings

My wife and I went to Ohio Renessaince Festival (ORF) yesterday and I gotta tell you stupidity is timeless.

If you've never been its like this. the ORF is a small village from Elizbethian England that you are visiting for the day. The workers go around in character as various people form the village idiot to the queen herself. They have contests, shows and activities all in the theme of Elizabethian England. And they ahve the marketplace which is probably the main reason for the ORF where merchants sell various Fantasy/Midevil/Renassaince related items such as swords/clothes/foods/glasswares etc... So all in all a rather neat and kinda quirky place to go have some fun. Most of the time its hard to tell who works there and who is just a guest as the guests get into character and dress up as well. Although all weapons must be peace knotted at all times. (yes you have people wandering around with swords/knives daggers and axes where alcohol is served. Oddly enough there has never been a major incident as the place is policed very well by responsible guests and the park security)

That having been said there where a few thigns I wanna share.
    1: This kid (sorry I'm 33 so teens are kids) decided he wanted to not pay for a small knife at this one booth. Fortunately the guy at the booth saw it and called out to his partner who was hawking the wares outside the booth. The street hawker turned and placed his pike staff ways in front of the kid and told him that the renessaince punishment for thievery is public floggin and asked if milord wanted to have the pleasure of the full ORF experience. The kid said he was just wanting to show it to a friend (which is why it was slipped into his waist band?) and put it back. At least the kid learned a very important lesson never try to steal from people who have bigger blades than you do.

2: speaking of big blades there was this lady at the same booth who asked if they had bodice daggers. She managed to put a 6 inch dagger in her cleavage!

3: There is a show there called the Theatore in the Ground. It is held in the Mudatorium. Basically it is these three guys who spoof beowulf and dantes inferno by flinging mud at each other and the crowd. Kinda think gallagher meets the classics. Ok there is a giant mud pit right in front of the benches and there are defiantely warning signs all around if you pay attention. (they even sell T shirts right outside the mudatorium, which that name should ring all kinds of bells)
    But anyhow there was this one chick who apparently wasnt getting into the spirit of thigns. Dressed in white sweatshirt and slacks and the perfectly coiffed blonde hair thign goign on. Well she decided to sit down in the front area. Within what the old timers know is the splat zone.

Guess what? she got mud on her and bitched and whined & complained about how dirty she was (hardly any on her at all I must say my wife and I stayed to watch this free show. I should have done like I did to an exgirlfriend one time. I slipped one of the mud guys a 20 to go up and put his arm around her after the show. ) Fortunately they where like well its a mud show in a mud pit and there are a lot of signs that maybe you shouldnt be sitting in the front row like the people around you having their cloaks ready to pull over themselves among other things including jokes made before the show really starts. Somehow that didnt satisfy her and she stormed off. I have no idea what happened but I hope show got a halberd shoved somewhere.

4: this happened a few years ago and was definately not a sucky person at all. My friends and I are standing out in front of the gates and hear a big harley coming up the hill. Topping the hill we see this Viking warrior riding on a big harley hog coming over the hill. I mean the guy is dressed in furs and chain mail and has a big axe across his back looks like thor meets the hells angels. Can you imagine the looks this guy must have gotton on his way there? At least he was wearing a helmet.

5: Also from a couple years ago. I was on the way into opening weekend and stopped at a gas station near ORF. I go in dressed in full Robin Hood regalia. The one clerk was definately wierded out but the other one knew what was going on and all she had to say was (in a slightly bored/oh great the wierdos are out again voice) "Oh is it that time of year again?" I love it.

Quoth Rahmota View Post
    4: this happened a few years ago and was definately not a sucky person at all. My friends and I are standing out in front of the gates and hear a big harley coming up the hill. Topping the hill we see this Viking warrior riding on a big harley hog coming over the hill. I mean the guy is dressed in furs and chain mail and has a big axe across his back looks like thor meets the hells angels. Can you imagine the looks this guy must have gotton on his way there? At least he was wearing a helmet.
    With horns? Now that would be a sight.

Comment

Quoth Rahmota View Post
      5: Also from a couple years ago. I was on the way into opening weekend and stopped at a gas station near ORF. I go in dressed in full Robin Hood regalia. The one clerk was definately wierded out but the other one knew what was going on and all she had to say was (in a slightly bored/oh great the wierdos are out again voice) "Oh is it that time of year again?" I love it.
      I attended DragonCon in Atlanta a few years back and one of my fondest memories (aside from someone trying to show slides on the side of the SunTrust Building), was watching from my balcony as a lady in a ginormous Glenda the Good Witch style dress sashayed down the sidewalk to catch a MARTA bus. How she got through the doors of the bus is anyone's guess, because she by herself was enough to block half the sidewalk.

Come to think of it, I also have a fond memory of one of my friends riding the subway with me up to the High Museum of Art, outfitted in her very own Renaissance dress. You must be doing something right when you can catch, and hold the gape-mouthed attention of everybody in a subway car.
      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth Rahmota View Post
        Roomie and G/f got that too... wonder if it was the same clerk.

We hit O-ren and TONS of fun. It was my first time, though. So I wasn't in period clothes(I wore a shirt that said NPC on it. Lots of people got the joke. ^_^ ) They were both dressed up, though. I plan to go full out next time... even bought a big ole sword for that purpose. ^_^

I didn't come away w/any SC sightings, though... kinda glad for that. ^_^
        Character flaws aren't a philosophy -Scott Adams

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
          With horns?
          I was under the impression that to be authentic/correct, it has to be feathers, not horns.

Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Gurndigarn and beckysunshine. From what I recall of history channel/class most vikings ,when they wore helmets, wore feathers attachd to them though there are a few instances of horns being attachd as well. So it kinda depended on the region/time from what i recall. anyone who has definitive info is more than welcome to correct me. As for our Harley viking he had the big bull horns on the side style of helmet. And considering how he looked like he probably could ave picked the bike up I'm not going to tell him he shouldnt be wearing horns.

Drakstern: That would be cool. I think I saw something similiar in dragon mag once. But either way very funny. And as for sucky people I dont recall seeing that many in the 8 years I've been going there. Like I said most of the people there are out to have fun. Also was it the Citgo there by 71? I bet they get a lot of us. Thse chariots do get thirsty.

Comment

"Although all weapons must be peace knotted at all times. (yes you have people wandering around with swords/knives daggers and axes where alcohol is served. Oddly enough there has never been a major incident as the place is policed very well by responsible guests and the park security)"

Heheheh....as a longtime SCA member, I've been to many a Pennsic War. 13,000 or so other lunatics, all armed, many drunk. Mostly self policed. Few enough incidents as to be able to say maybe one questionable incident per year, if that, nothing terribly serious.

An armed society is a polite society.

If you look at my photo album pic, I'm wearing a double-bladed dagger in my bodice that is at least six inches long. Probably, it's longer. It's large enough to look like business. Daggers fit in with the girls quite nicely. They fit into your boots or your sleeves. I once wore a large butcher's cleaver between my shoulder blades under my doublet (long story). You'd be suprised at the hardware you can stash on your person and still look innocent.

"The kid said he was just wanting to show it to a friend (which is why it was slipped into his waist band?) and put it back. At least the kid learned a very important lesson never try to steal from people who have bigger blades than you do."

That's the God's Honest Truth. I actually was present one night when some extremely stupid young men thought they'd have a go at us. Long story short, this one guy was sneaking around with a switchblade when a friend of mine in a black cloak silently walked up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder with a Claymore. Rounded him up right nicely for the cops when they showed up. All of a sudden his little blade didn't look so big and bad when he saw that greatsword.
              Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 10-23-2006, 03:56 AM.

Comment

recoveringkinkoid spoke and we listened:An armed society is a polite society
                Isnt that the truth!

Daggers fit in with the girls quite nicely
                You know I've been married 10 years and I still learn new things. Somehow my wife finds that funny.

Long story short, this one guy was sneaking around with a switchblade when a friend of mine in a black cloak silently walked up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder with a Claymore. Rounded him up right nicely for the cops when they showed up. All of a sudden his little blade didn't look so big and bad when he saw that greatsword.
                I would have loved to have seen that. That would have just been so .

Crocodile Dundee: "You call that a knife? Now thats a knife!"

Comment

"but the other one knew what was going on and all she had to say was (in a slightly bored/oh great the wierdos are out again voice) "Oh is it that time of year again?" I love it."

The entire Pittsburg area and surrounding burbs are like that in August. You can have literally a hundred freaks in period dress shopping down at the Giant Eagle or Wally World at once at any given time in August and the locals don't even flinch anymore. They don't even seem to notice.

Old time SCAdians think the "THIS is a KNIFE" line is hilarious...in fact, we've been using various versions of it long before that movie came out. My favorite version, an old chestnut of legendary proportions in SCAdian lore, is "Yes sir, I see your 6 inches and I raise you 30."

Then of course there are the stories of the mugger stabbing a guy wearing chain mail under his clothes....

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                    Then of course there are the stories of the mugger stabbing a guy wearing chain mail under his clothes....

"Why...won't...you...DIE?!?!?"
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

The entire Pittsburg area and surrounding burbs are like that in August. You can have literally a hundred freaks in period dress shopping down at the Giant Eagle or Wally World at once at any given time in August and the locals don't even flinch anymore. They don't even seem to notice.
                      Hehehe that's because we have freaks here year-round.

And yes, I'm including myself in that group
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Rahmota View Post
                        Also was it the Citgo there by 71? I bet they get a lot of us. Thse chariots do get thirsty.
                        I believe it was. Couldn't tell you for certain, though. I was asleep for most of the ride back.

Sunburns make me tired.
                        Character flaws aren't a philosophy -Scott Adams

Comment

What's a 'peace knot'?
                          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Peace knot--also "peace bonded" or "peace strapped". That's where the weapon is secured into it's holster or sheath so that it cannot be drawn. Usually with a cord or strap.

Comment

Peace knot--also "peace bonded" or "peace strapped". That's where the weapon is secured into it's holster or sheath so that it cannot be drawn. Usually with a cord or strap.
                              Here, peace tied means it's secured with a wire-tie. Should I be worried that by the time my daughter was 5, she knew what that meant Or that she knew she should not repeat Faire songs at school or church
                              0 Coffee! Thou dost dispel all care, thou are the object of desire to the scholar. This is the beverage of the friends of God. -In Praise of Coffee, 1511

Daranacon - because we're not crazy enough

Comment

Working...
                              X