Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Commencement Speech...maybe you can help?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commencement Speech...maybe you can help?

So, im due to graduate from my college with my Associates of nursing, enabling me to become an RN once I graduate and take boards.

I'm thinking about "trying out" for graduation speaker. I think they usually have 2 student speakers and try to pick a male and female. Seeing how my class is 95% female, this lessens my chances.

I want to start preparing a speech now so when the time comes to try out, I'll be prepared. I dont know where to start.

Id like it to be memorable and funny, but not too cliche' if possible. lol. Any ideas anyone?? I think the starting point is always the hardest part.

What was most memorable (and publicly acceptable) from your student time?
    What did you learn the most - not always book/technical stuff, what else - teamwork? Humor? (good old dancing skeleton here)...
    Why did you choose Nursing - and what good is it?

Hopefully these will get you thinking.

Cutenoob
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

A story from way back in your life - preferably something that made you decide to be a nurse. Preferably to pull a heartstring (of course, if it's "I decided to get into nursing for the money"... you'd be better off with a joke )
      When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Quoth Slytovhand View Post
        (of course, if it's "I decided to get into nursing for the money"... you'd be better off with a joke )
        Or both:

Amina516 "Great hours, superb pay, incredible respect and fantastic hours all rolled into one career. But we all chose nursing instead...."

Seriously Amina, avoiding cliches and adding some levity are probably your best bet for the screening. Emphasize that you'd like to contrast and not compete with the honor speaker (who will probably go the opposite direction on both points) during the screening. And take Cutenoob's advice on tailoring some aspect specific to your class.
        Last edited by sms001; 02-16-2009, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys! You all have
          some great ideas. I'll start trying to write it now so Its ready by April.

Comment

Or the comment I make to my two nurse sisters:
            Nurses are code-dependent.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I don't really have any ideas since everyone else's were great, but !

Good nurses are sorely needed and you can work pretty much anywhere you want to, anywhere in the world. I hope land a great position, you deserve it for all your hard work.
              "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Also, if you need to scratch someplace like your ass, draw the audience's attention away via a clever ruse.

"So as I was saying, we nurses perform a critical service needed in today's--Hey! What's that over there, away from my butt?"

The preceding was brought to you by Dave Barry and channeled by I.P. Freleigh. I only hope I can be 1/8th as effortlessly funny as he can.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                X