This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Looking Up Trip Information Please

I was telling my friend about how we have an old retired military base near me (Fort Hancock in Sandy Hook, NJ) and she said she'd like to see it. I remember back in middle school we were able to have a class trip and check out the old fort stuff. Stuff like the fortifications and such. Preferably the older sections the better. I tried googling stuff and I can't for the life of me find any info on going there. Not sure if that area of Sandy Hook is restricted access or not (I might be able to get around that if it is), or if it's tours only. I'd rather give her a personal tour as I don't feel like dealing with tour groups. Any help would be really appreciated.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

http://www.nps.gov/gate/planyourvisi...osandyhook.htm

Try this first. There is info and contact stuff there for the National Park Service. Call them and they can answer your questions.

Comment

Check out this page.

By all accounts I could find with my formidable google fu, Fort Hancock is open to the public. The above page will provide you with some more details and ideas.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Sweet. I want to wait till the summer so it's warm enough that we can go to the beach there after walking around. She wants to go soon. Oh, well, I don't know if we could even go soon. But during the summer definitely. There's a lot of cool war history there.
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

FYI If you do this on your own be careful when you go off the roads/trails. This is an abandoned military base after all, and you know what you may find.

How do I know this, I used to go to college at Cal State Monterey Bay (CSUMB) which was built on part of a old army base (Fort Ord). They found unexploded ordinance just off the roads several times while I was there.

But you could see some really cool shit if you were careful (and stupid enough to go off the trails). The funny thing is that this is the base that my dad did basic at for Vietnam. I have actually seen things such as the "Hidden City" Mock Training ground, where they did the tear gas training and how to enter rooms/buildings.
          My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Working...
          X