This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how have budget cuts affected you?

I know there was already a thread about how the general economic downturn affected people, but I wanted to start one specific to how the budget cuts governments nationwide (probably worldwide) have personally affected you.

For me the cuts to education has made it so a class series that used to be available as either summer/fall or fall/spring is now only fall/spring which means it will take me an extra 4 months to graduate.

It hasn't happened yet, but I'm also pretty sure that come April UTA is going to cut service again which means I'll be driving not as a matter of convenience but a matter of necessity... in all honesty, I'd much rather take the bus to work than drive... which may or may not be possible if they decide to cut late night service.

Anyone else having direct effects from budget cuts?
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Oh, yeah.

I've been informed that my position is going away at the end of the fiscal year. July 1, I'm unemployed.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
      July 1, I'm unemployed.
      April 1 for me - hopefully I'll find something before then and it'll just be another April Fool's joke.
      Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Not yet. University budgets work a year or two in advance and GTA's in this state have union protection - so I'm hoping that our tiny little salaries won't get cut. However, the department may not give assistantships to the two students who are ABD (All But Dissertation) and they're going to be cutting back on new people.

I'm just freaking out about this summer. There are only one or two assistantships available for the summer that I have about a snowball's chance of getting. Hard to get a job for 2 months.
        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Not governmental, as far as I know. Work, however - I probably won't be getting a raise this year. Not the end of the world for me, but sucks nonetheless...
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Well nothing yet. But the Texas department of transportation (AKA: TXDOT) has received budget cuts and so new projects are pretty much being trown out and they're just gonna focus on maintaining the current infrastructure. Couse any current projects are being finished but once they are finished well yeah you got the idea.

Yeah so Houston's plan to FINALLY get more mass transit other than Buses and one lightrail line might have to go on hold for...a while. Other than that just an increase in the gas tax. But I'm sure more's to come.

Comment

Work hasn't been able to give me as much hours this semester because of endowments. As for the government? I'm afraid to see what FAFSA will give me.
              How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, Soulstealer, there was supposed to be a considerable chunk of money for Pell Grants in the stimulus package. Doesn't help me any (for whatever reason, graduate students are ineligible for Pell Grants, even if you didn't take any in undergrad) - but I wouldn't worry too much about FAFSA.
                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                  If it makes you feel any better, Soulstealer, there was supposed to be a considerable chunk of money for Pell Grants in the stimulus package. Doesn't help me any (for whatever reason, graduate students are ineligible for Pell Grants, even if you didn't take any in undergrad) - but I wouldn't worry too much about FAFSA.
                  No not really, I'm going to law school starting this fall. I'm hoping I qualify for the staford loans since I'll probably end up borrowing.
                  How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

As my company deals with website design, software development, a neat little temporary building, and other things ---- any cut of funding that directly or indirectly influences companies in my town causes problems for me. Either they don't use my services (or any) as it's "expendable", or when I try to offer the free services, the "person" who has to make decisions either isn't there anymore, isn't there enough, or just has so many hours cut they don't give a damn what happens (and free services to help just give them more things to do on their already overworked week [same work, less hours]).

As a note, my main clients I'm trying (or was trying) to get were the city government, school system, and public transportation company (which isn't related to the government - but relies on grants to function).

Comment

I'm already unemployed. The job market isn't looking too hot right now. +10% unemployement for my age bracket. Hopefully I will get state aid to help me further my education.

Comment

Working...
                      X