This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another assumption

DH, DS and I are in the city tonight. We happen to be walking past a Tower Records (cd's, etc) and notice they are having a going out of business sale. DH asks to go in.

Bear in mind, I am wearing a sweater, nice pants, a long brown suede jacket and I am carrying my purse. The employees at Tower are all wearing black or dark purple t-shirts.

I am browsing the aisles when I walk past a couple. I hear "excuse me" said kind of rudely from the woman of the couple. I ignore her because I didn't think it was to me.
    As I round the next aisle I catch the eye of the woman and have the following exchange:

IL (idiot lady)
    IH (her idiot husband).
    Me: the star, of course

IL: Excuse me!
    Me: (I realize she was talking to me). Yes?
    IL: How do these things work? (she is holding up the headphones to the listening station. None of them seem to be working in the store, I guess because they are going out of business)
    Me: They aren't working.
    IL: Do any of them work?
    Me: I have no idea
    IL: Well! Lot of help you are!
    Me: Lady, I don't work here. The headphones are all torn apart, so I don't think any of them are working.
    IH: What about these? (he holds up a pair of headphones that look normal, until you see the wires are cut part of the way through).
    Me: Listen, the store is going out of business, they are obviously not keeping up on these. You are out of luck.
    IL: (starts hemming and hawing).
    Me: I repeat, I DON'T work here!

I walk away shaking me head. They just stare at me like they know I am going to quick put on a employee t-shirt or something.
    Funny thing was, DS asked for a CD. While we were in line paying, guess who got behind us?
    I shot IL a look and she turned bright red.
    "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
    "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

I hate hate hate hate hate hate people who do that. I'm not in uniform; I don't even have a name tag on. STOP BOTHERING ME.
    No good news is good bad news

Comment

my latest incident was when i was getting some donuts and such from the local safeway for a cashier staff meeting. Im standing there loading up on about 60 donuts humming to myself when someone comes up and asks where they keep the cream cheese. I didnt responde at first because i thought she wasnt talking to me. She finally noticed my uniform did not match safeways and apologized. always good for a chuckle :P
      funnier when i was shopping at my own store with a friend in street clothes and a lady asked my friend if she worked there and not me
      Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

People used to ask me where stuff was in our local Wal-mart all the time. Jeez people, do you see a big ugly blue vest or a nametag? I *clearly* don't work here!
        Usually, I'd just point them to where it was anyway- I was there frequently enough to know where everything was located...and it usually was easier than explaining to the morons that I was just shopping, too.
        I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

You know what's strange? This never happened to me before I started working retail. After I got my first job, it happened all the time. It's like a aquired some sort of retail vibe. Sure, I wear a tie. Most people don't wear a tie when they go the grocer. But I'm also wearing a leather waistcoat, a gold pocket watch and a leather fedora with a big ass feather in the band. Don't act like I look like I work here.
          You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Sofar, I think you just described the murderer in my novel....

Just kidding.
            Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

I'm eccentric.
              You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
                But I'm also wearing a leather waistcoat, a gold pocket watch and a leather fedora with a big ass feather in the band.
                I think I love you. Well, maybe not quite, but that's pretty freaking cool, still.
                Discourtesy Clerk, purveyor of fine hay bales, pine scented douche and stuff that's not in bins since July 2006.

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
                  You know what's strange? This never happened to me before I started working retail. After I got my first job, it happened all the time. It's like a aquired some sort of retail vibe.

Nobody told you? At your first retail job, you get implanted with the special device known as the sucky customer magnet. You don't know it's there until SCs come up to you on a daily, maybe even hourly basis. The hidden feature kicks in when you go into a store that you don't work in.

Isn't technology wonderful?
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

When I worked at a retail store and came in on my days off, people would recognize me from when I was working and ask me for help. I couldn't say no, seeing as how if they recognized me enough to ask for help, they would know who to complain about! I finally just stopped going to the store I worked and began shopping at one I didn't!
                    "Most lies about blondes are false."
                    - Cincinnati Times-Star, headline
                    "If you love your job, you haven't worked a day in your life." --Tommy Lasorda

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
                      You know what's strange? This never happened to me before I started working retail. After I got my first job, it happened all the time. It's like a aquired some sort of retail vibe.
                      I was like that before I started working. I hung out at Borders and Barnes and Noble a lot and people would ask me where things were. At one point, I thought of making a t-shirt that said I do not work here in all caps.
                      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth officegirl View Post
                        When I worked at a retail store and came in on my days off, people would recognize me from when I was working and ask me for help. I couldn't say no, seeing as how if they recognized me enough to ask for help, they would know who to complain about! I finally just stopped going to the store I worked and began shopping at one I didn't!

that's why i dont go into my place of work on my days off.

Comment

http://www.improveverywhere.com/miss...?mission_id=57
                          Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

it may be off topic, but sofar, i'd much rather see more people dress the way you describe your dress manner than what some choose today...dear god, the agony of some people's choices is almost eye searing.

*thinks that waistcoats rule!*
                            look! it's ghengis khan!
                            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
                            X