This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipping question

I had a rather fine time at a spa recently on the well-publicised holiday. Being from a non (or minor) tipping culture, I was somewhat baffled as to how much I should have tipped.

Any guidelines as to appropriate tipping levels for treatment levels such as this? (We're talking massage, body wrap, pedicure, and facial). I'm just hoping I wasn't tipping too low.

Rapscallion

My personal guideline to tipping is thus:

0 - 5% for truly horrible, abysmal service. We're talking about wrong orders, cold food, and general bad attitude.

5 - 10% for general service. Everything is OK.

10 - 15% for hey, this is pretty good! service. Great food, great attitude, awesome atmosphere.

15 -25% for holy cow, we should clone you service.

TTO and I once gave a 100% tip. We went to a restaurant that was having a special on ribs, and because TTO is a big guy, he asked very nicely if he could get a bit extra, he doesn't mind paying for it. Our waitress was a lovely bubbly woman, who brought him a WHOLE EXTRA SERVING and didn't charge him for it! That, along with her great meal suggestions, awesome attitude, great service and fabulous food, scored her 200 bucks.
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I'm more interested in spa treatments in the US - I suspect they're not covered by the same 'below everyone else's minimum wage' legislation as other industries. I have a reasonable idea on the food service side of things from reading here, but I have no idea about the beauty industry.

Rapscallion

Comment

I was actually just reading something about this a couple of days ago, about 20% is usually expected, provided they did a good job.

Keep in mind, even if you're paying over $100 for a treatment, at a spa the therapist will maybe see $20-$25 of that money, also tips given in cash are more appreciated because they get them, putting a tip on a credit card generally means the tip gets shared with everyone.
        Last edited by Nyoibo; 02-20-2009, 10:15 AM.
        If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Bugger. I was somewhat below that :/

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post

Rapscallion
            It's ok, give them person a couple of days, and I'm sure we'll hear all about it in the form of a post

I've always went with the 20% for good service for waitress, but honestly some have differing opinions on tipping beyond waitressing. For example coffee shop. I mean some people think they're already getting paid to make you're coffee why should you tip. Some like me throw the extra change in their cup. Sometimes it's 10-20 cents other times it might be 50 cents. Then there's others that won't tip for normal service, but if you're coffee is already on the counter before you ask for it then they tip you.

Honestly other than a waitress, and pizza delivery (cause I know they make a lower rate of pay) I tend to tip based on doing more than your job. I mean getting a hair cut if the hairdresser calls me, asks me how I want it, and then just gets to work. Then the tip will be light. If the hairdresser chats, etc. They get more of a tip. Taking a cab if the cabbie does more than just drives us to our location (help us with bags, etc.) then they'll get a tip. But that's my opinion, whereas others think that every service job requires to go by the 20% rules.

So while you may have tipped poorly to some people's standards, honestly if you tipped at all you're probably better than some people.
            "It takes people like you, to make people like me" Another Night In London - Devildriver

Comment

Heh - they heard about this site from us and promised to visit and post. They did a fantastic job, actually.

We just had no idea what sort of tips were expected in that sort of environment.

Rapscallion

Comment

I didn't either. You're supposed to tip when you go to a spa? I'll remind my wife that when she goes
                I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Rapscallion
                  The key word is 'somewhat'. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Now, if you had tipped abysmally then yes, I'd be looking for her post soon.

Kidding aside, I'm in the US and I tend to tip spa/nail/hair techs what I tip when I am in restaurants: 20 percent - unless I'm pissed off at the service (lower) or totally WOWED (25 percent and up).

Then again, my broke-ass struggles just to get my hair highlighted and cut every two months and I gave up the acrylic nails a year ago.

When I do visit the hair salon, it's usually 85.00 for a cut and full highlight. (girls, if you're reading - thats reasonable in my town, considering I have HUGELY thick hair). I give her 20.00, which is about 23 percent.
                  "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                    The key word is 'somewhat'. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Now, if you had tipped abysmally then yes, I'd be looking for her post soon.
                    $20 on a $245 treatment?

Rapscallion

Comment

The only spa treatment I can afford is discounted at-home mud packs. Just after Christmas is the best time, when all the gift packs go on special.

Comment

$20 on a $245 treatment?

Rapscallion
                        Well, thank god you're in the UK then. That's probably above average over there, right? Since tipping is not customary?
                        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                        X