This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaos effects - the DM's best friend

I messed up my D&D players last night and just wanted to share the fun.

First I tossed a Teratomorph (a gargantuan ooze!) at them. Whenever it physically hits them it causes a random effect - including a Polymorph Any Object effect. I turned the barbarian into a dire badger for a week. And the half orc got turned into an Armand, then a Phoelarch, then a Doppleganger. Which he loved and was depressed that it wore off in a week.

I then gave them a very powerful magic deck of cards. They immediately (and incorrectly) concluded it was a deck of many things and they were going to draw out all the good cards.

It was actually a deck of transformations (in Races of Eberron, in case anyone is interested).

I was sure that some level of common sense would kick in and they would stop drawing cards when bad things happened.

I was wrong. It was a hilarious.

The psion got turned into a dwarf to get things started, which destroyed the basis for his character, and he wound up at Lizardfolk by way of elf. The feral gargantuan got shrunk to Small size, then turned into a gnoll, and wound up a hobgoblin.

The half-elf became a gnome, became a kobold, wound up back at half-elf (with a -1 to wisdom, which I think was earned). Oh, yeah, then he got hit with Flesh to Stone. The stonechild became a human got +1 str, got -1 str, and then wound up a halfling. And the cleric got Disintegrated!

The best change though was the half orc. He became a changeling then a kobold then a full out orc. The newly transformed orc then drew the Queen of Hearts; which in our deck of Sin City cards has boobies. He yells "Yay, I got boobies!" Which is amusing in itself, but the Queen of Hearts changes gender so when he asked what happens I yelled back "Yay, you get boobies!"

They literally drew every card in the deck. I've now pretty much destroyed 4 characters - the barbarian character is now small and has neg. strength modifiers, the racially psionic character is now a lizardfolk, the cleric is a small pile of ash, and the two handed knife fighting half elf is now just a statue of his former self. Good times.

On the bright side, everyone left laughing and smiling, so I guess I did a good job.

There's a moral here, I just can't figure it out.

If you want some real fun, look up Grimtooth's traps. There's some real fun to be had in there.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post

There's a moral here, I just can't figure it out.

If you want some real fun, look up Grimtooth's traps. There's some real fun to be had in there.
      There is, don't proclaim you have something when there's someone around who can full well give you it.
      I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

That's hilarious! My husband is running an Eberron Campaign every other Friday night. I might have to tell him about that.

Comment

that sounds amazing. It's also awesome that your players can walk away from that happy ^^ I wish i could game with y'all..
          "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

Yeah, I want to find a gaming group that can play only every other friday or saturday. (the opposite fridays from my hubs). *le sigh* what would even be better if it was an entire group of females! woohoo!

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
              Yeah, I want to find a gaming group that can play only every other friday or saturday. (the opposite fridays from my hubs). *le sigh* what would even be better if it was an entire group of females! woohoo!
              One of my groups is 3 females and two guys...

MOVING ON!

Gerrinson, that was the most vile, evil thing I've ever seen anyone do to a party....you are right to be proud!
              I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                I gladly offer myself up as a willing gamer.. I live in woodbridge. ^^
                "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

I'd offer my group but I live down just north of Bristol...sorry
                  It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Working...
                  X