This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Antique/ Glass Collectors

I am trying to help a friend of mine out- this set isn't mine but I am pretty clueless about this stuff.

This is a set of handblown Amethyst glass- there is a punchbowl and 10 cups. Made in West Virginia between 1920 and 1960. There is no makers mark or stamp- it was purchased in 1964 for $500.00.

Can anyone please tell me what the name or maker of this is? Or perhaps set me in the right direction to find out?

Thanks a bunch!

"I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

I don't know where you live but if there is a modern art muesum or a glass museum near you they might have some information for you. You can also check with antique stores in your area. But be careful with that since they would be looking to possibly by and then make a profit off of the item. I would try the museums first.
    Call and ask if they have a department that helps identify items.

You might also try contacting the Tacoma Museum of Glass. http://www.museumofglass.org/
    Last edited by Shpepper; 02-24-2009, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Also take pictures of the bottom - although there may not be an obvious stamp, many glass makers put a mark on the bottom. One example of that is Simon Pierce.

Comment

Oooh, purple glass! I love that stuff - I collect it and blue glass bottles, and the former is harder to find than the latter.
        ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

It is not Fenton. Fenton Art Glass is always stamped on the bottom and is more elaborate then what is pictured. I live 8 miles south of the Fenton plant and one of my friends is one of the art designers there.

It looks like it could be Blenko Glass from down near Hungtington. In checking their website the cups are their design and the color is lilac which was only produced in 1959 and 1960. Amethyst was not in production between 1957 and 1967.
          Last edited by FormerCallingCardRep; 02-25-2009, 04:59 PM. Reason: futher research

Comment

Hey, thanks folks.
            "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
            HellGate: London

Comment

Working...
            X