This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did you give up?

Regardless of your faith or beliefs, many of you might know that today is Ash Wednesday. This starts the forty-day period before Easter in which Christians are supposed to give up something in observance of the season.

I don't want to debate about beliefs or anything; please save those comments for a Fratching thread. I just want to know if you gave up anything for Lent? Or, if you don't observe it, if you had to give up something, what would it be?

This season makes me think a lot about the things in life we take for granted. In the past I've tried giving up soda, coffee, candy, etc.; and this year's sounds totally ridiculous. Facebook. Yes, I've deactivated my account. I know it sounds silly, but it's something that for a while I thought I couldn't do without. Maybe I'll learn something from this!
    "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

A few people at work have mentioned Lent to me. I have been amused, as I am Jewish, so needless to say, won't be giving anything up.

Now, if I followed the Jewish faith (I don't), there are more than enough holidays that are all about fasting where I really don't think I would feel the need to give anything more up, especially considering my love for food.

That being said, having been sick for the last week (I hate this!), I have by default given up alcohol. And I think we all know how much I love my beer. This makes me a sad panderer.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

I have no religious beliefs whatsoever, so I will not be giving anything up. If I had to though, probably a certain seven-leaved plant. I hope using that expression is PC enough for the site.
      Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

i'm not sure there is a politically correct way to put what I'm giving up for Lent (or at least some of what I'm giving up for Lent).
        What I can put without fear of modhammer is that I'm going to give up something that I have carried with me for way too long... I"m going to give up self pity.
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Due to having nearly killed myself in GK's exercise class, I've cut out the stupidly large food portions (a pan for two meals is going to last six, if this lunchtime is anything to go by).

Oh, and desserts for the most part, and enjoying myself (sob!).

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
            i'm not sure there is a politically correct way to put what I'm giving up for Lent (or at least some of what I'm giving up for Lent).
            What I can put without fear of modhammer is that I'm going to give up something that I have carried with me for way too long... I"m going to give up self pity.
            Feel free to PM a mod if you're worried about such as this.

Rapscallion

Comment

In the past I've done Lent* - gave up pizza, alcohol, soda... I like to quit drinking for a while every now and then, to give my liver a break and because I have an alcoholic parent. I like to know I can quit if I want to.

I've been so busy this semester I haven't even been able to think of something I can give up.

* I'm not Catholic, but I have a friend who is, and we used to do Lent together.
              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I'm going to give up eating more than what I bring for lunch.

In other words no going to the snack machine after lunch.

On weekends this means that I will not be hitting the pantry longingly at 2 PM.

Comment

I am giving up McDonald's, Burger King, Arby's, Roy Rogers, Wendy's, Taco Bell, KFC and Popeye's Fried Chicken.

Also, of course, no eating meat on Fridays.

Mr. Rum is going to be giving up the above-mentioned restaurants too.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                    Feel free to PM a mod if you're worried about such as this.

Rapscallion
                    actually, that was kind of code for I was too embarrassed to admit it publicly
                    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

This year, I'm giving up my after work Pepsi.

And perhaps french fries. (See the getting in shape thread.)

I have hopes.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I was baptised Anglican, and raised Congregationalist. We didn't really give anything up for Lent, although my mom was raised Catholic (even went to Catholic HS and college), and the rest of the family usually gave something up.

I've been vegetarian for the last 15 years, so giving up meat isn't on the books.

I work in a wine store and am studying to be a Master Sommelier, so giving up booze doesn't really work.

I don't eat too much candy or chocolate, so I could give those up, but, frankly, during certain times my chocolate is the only thing that keeps me sane.

You'd have to pry my coffee out of my cold, dead hands. Not happening. The resulting migraines are miserable, and not worth it.

Sex? HAH. I'm not tormenting my poor (Jewish) boyfriend with that.

Besides, these days, I tend to follow the Jewish holidays as much as the Christian ones, and as Jester said, there are many that require *actual* fasting for a day. I find those to be a bit more personally affective than the Lent concept of giving one (or a few) thing(s) up for 40 days.

But, of course, that's me. Others may certainly have their opinion.

I do expect today to be quite slow, as <store> is in a heavily Christian area, with many people being *very* religious. I've seen a number of ashy foreheads walking around.

And, although I have a few interesting observations, I'll leave it there so as not to write a novel.

Comment

I honestly don't know what I'd give up. I look around, first at Sir, and go "Nope, not giving up sex", then at my cigarettes. If I give up those, I'd better give up sex, cause I have to have my after sex cigarette. I'd also have to give up coffee if i gave up cigarettes cause I have to have one with my coffee. I've determined I'd be a bad Catholic. Ah well. I'd probably give up chocolate and sweets all together. At least it would be good for my waist line.

ETA: I wasn't raised anything until I was 10, when my mother who was raised Episcopalian converted to Judaism and I converted with her. Less than a year later I found paganism, and have been a practicing Pagan for the past 11 years.
                          Last edited by SengaKitty; 02-25-2009, 05:55 PM.

Comment

As usual, I am going to try to stop swearing.

I've gotten a lot better because where I work now, I can't just leave the register to go scream in the cooler/back room.

And going to try to cut down my soda intake. I managed to do this when on Weight Watchers. I went from having 2 Pepsis a day to 2 a week.
                            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

I was raised Methodist, and now I am not religious at all. I have never done Lent. I suppose if I had to pick something it would be some form of junk food. Or maybe TV.

I have a friend from college who always gave up chocolate. Another gave up cursing one year. She put money in a can whenever she slipped, and donated it to something (I don't remember what).

Quoth Giggle Goose View Post
                              Facebook. Yes, I've deactivated my account. I know it sounds silly, but it's something that for a while I thought I couldn't do
                              Oddly enough, I just signed up on Facebook last night
                              I really did it so I could see Ex's Pablo tribute on his page, but his computer is being fixed so I don't know when he'll be able to log in and respond to my friend request. I have some other friends on there, too. Though I predict I will have the world's most boring FB page.
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X