This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a beta reader or two.

I've been busy with immigration lately (ie, trying not to tear my hair out with both fists while I listen to "hold" music on the phone), so I haven't had a chance to get much writing done on the serial blog novel I'd planned to put up earlier. Which means something terrible has happened.

After I go a while without looking at my work, it starts to look like a foreign beast to me. Something strange and to be distrusted. Two things can happen:

1) The passage of time has put a shiny platinum coating on it, and it looks perfect. I swell with self-importance. This is doubly dangerous because it both makes me look like a moron whose beret and art house sweater are on backorder, and because it makes me unable to recognise my own flaws.

2) The passage of time has left it creaking and rusty to my eyes. Flaws glare accusingly from every direction. Dialogue looks tedious and about as earnest as a high school play. Instead of an editor's pen, I wield a machete, lopping off great, glistening chunks of text that wobble pathetically at my feet.

Right now, I'm suffering from the latter.

So if I could get one or two people who were willing to read some "stuff" think weekend, and give me some honest feedback, it would really help me stop wanting to put a gun to this old horse's head. A lot of it may be just nerves, but I haven't done anything like this in a while, and I would like it not to suck. If you are interested, please drop me a line and I will get back to you with the first two chapters over the weekend for your perusal.

The story itself centers around Joanna Smithbeck, who returns home after eight years, to prepare her family home for sale, and winds up discovering the truth about her mother's death almost twenty years earlier, and the way it changes her perception of the people around her. It's a ghost story that might come a little heavy on the gore at times for some people (though I left the bucket of pig's blood alone for this one), but is ultimately about love, hate, forgiveness, and finding one's place in the world. If horror isn't your thing, you may want to give this one a miss.

Thenk yew.
    Personally, I find cleavage very helpful. In a crime-fighting sense.

ooh i'm always looking for things to read and i tend to proofread for issues whether i like it or not..
    "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

Volunteer, here. Mmm, gore and ghosts!

Comment

*volunteers*

I'm a miserable writer, but a wonderful editor, and I read everything I can get my hands on. Especially horror.

Have you ever read James L. Grant's (yes, the artist of Flem and Two Lumps) books?

Comment

I'm interested.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I haven't read any of Grant's written stuff. I read Jay and found it hilariously, cheerfully offensive. What's the book like? I've been wanting to read it but haven't seen it anywhere.
            Personally, I find cleavage very helpful. In a crime-fighting sense.

Comment

The ending was a bit rushed, but it's deliciously dark and twisted. Inspired storytelling, and an intelligently scary plot.

I actually had to put it down one night cause the imagery was flipping me out too much.

And this is from someone who read 'The Hellbound Heart' when she was 11 - and fell in love with Clive Barker as a result.

Comment

Sounds like fun, I've been looking for something new to read.
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Just for reference, the book is On The Banks of Lethe. I ordered it via the Two Lumps (www.twolumps.net) site, because I was also ordering Year One (their first volume of comics).

Comment

If you still need volunteers, I'll help out.
                    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Working...
                    X