This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctors and Death...eep!

As I mentioned in the "Dear.." thread, I've been getting ridiculous headaches. They come, they last for a week or two before fading away. Sometimes it hurts so bad that I can't sleep. I finally decided to go to the clinic today, and luckily my student clinic has a pretty decent sized corral of MD's, so I was seen by a doctor. (Some student clinics only have RNs and the like).

He asked me lots of questions about my routine and the headaches and determined that it's probably not migraines, it's probably tension headaches brought on by stress. His first recommendation, in terms of prevention, was a regular exercise schedule - and he made it clear that he was recommending it because it would help my body process/deal with stress and that might keep it from manifesting itself in the form of headaches. It wasn't a "oh, overweight girl must exercise NOW!" kind of thing. He said to make sure I stay on a very stable sleeping/waking cycle - that even a deviation of 1 hour can screw with the body. He also said that he may want me to eventually talk to a counselor - that adjustment to new place, new school, etc. can sometimes take a very long time.

Then he wrote me a prescription for Midorin and told me to see him in 1-2 weeks. Got it from the nice lady at the pharmacy and went home.

Just after I got home, BT called. Before I could start in on my epic tale of headaches, he told me a friend of his had died that day. I could tell from his voice that this was someone he was kind of close to, but he said they haven't talked in 8 months or so. He may be going to the funeral this weekend, but he wasn't sure. I asked him if he needed company, he said not now, but he might call me later. I hope he does, he sounded pretty upset. When he asked me how I was doing...I was just kinda like 'ummm....weeeellllll'. So I told him about the headaches and the doctors and exercising and all that, but I felt kinda bad doing it.

Sigh....too much for one day, methinks....
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

I don't think you should feel bad. He did ask how you were. Doesn't sound like you tried to make like your headaches trump his friend's death or anything.

I had a headache all day today, and I have had migraines, too...so I know a bit about what you're going through. It's no fun. Hope you and BT are both OK.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
      I don't think you should feel bad. He did ask how you were. Doesn't sound like you tried to make like your headaches trump his friend's death or anything.
      I didn't - it was just a kinda "well, I thought I was having a crappy day, but maybe not"... And then BT asked me if I was okay...we were mutually worried about each other, it was kinda funny.

I'm feeling a little better, but it still hasn't gone away completely. I did sleep a LOT last night, though. BT didn't call...I just hope he's doing OK. I'm torn on whether or not to call him...he may just need some space right now.
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
        ...we were mutually worried about each other, it was kinda funny.
        That's one side of a saying "Mutual pain is divided. Mutual joy is multiplied."

Stay in contact... Set some ground rules that you'll squelch and be open to squelching stuff that goes too far, such as:
        One-upping. One-downing. Pity-partying... (you get an idea?)
        A little of all these is OK, but a good primary focus is: How I feel. How I hear you feel. We are here for ourselves and each other.
        Last edited by dalesys; 02-28-2009, 06:17 PM.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
        X