This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven roasted chicken advice?

So, I don't usually roast whole chickens in the oven, but in the beating the recession thread, there was a post about how versatile leftovers are and it reminded me of how much I like using leftover chicken for various things. Now, normally, I'll throw a chicken in the crockpot and be done with it, but it's too late to do that today, and as that was going to be my dinner...yeah...

So, what methods do y'all use for roasting chickens in the oven, and time/temperature wise, any thoughts?? I know the general seasonings I want to use, but I always like to talk cooking with others, and this seemed like an opportune time, in between getting my apartment cleaned.

I'm a bit paranoid about screwing it up, because I've got plans for at least 3 other things to do with the leftovers, and would appreciate any input or recipes/tips people like to throw out.

I feel kinda silly asking for help with a simple roasted chicken, but having forgotten to get out the crockpot, and not wanting to wait to where I wouldn't be eating dinner until 9 pm, there it is. I fling myself on the mercy of CSers...

And thus I leave my query up, and shall return to check back once I finish scrubbing down another part of my apartment.

I usually just shove the chicken full of garlic and cook at 350 F for 1 1/2 to 2 hours ( til Done)

Mom says 1/2 hour per pound. Or crank the crock pot on high for 3 hours.
    Meeeeoooow.....
    Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

350F is about right. When it gets down to the last half-hour of roasting time I like to spoon the drippings back over the bird.

My mom likes to rub it with dijon mustard or slide thin lemon slices under the skin. Cavity has rosemary in it I think. Usually potatoes are roasted in the same pan, with a clove or two of garlic.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

The next time you try this, try brining the bird beforehand, for at least ten hours. Moist, delicious flavour.

As for basics:

Avoid opening the oven to check or baste frequently. It lets out a huge burst of hot air each time, and it takes a while to get back up to temp.

As with turkeys, you can cover the breast of the bird with tinfoil halfway through the process. White meat takes less time to cook than dark, and will dry out by the time the legs are cooked.

DON'T rely on pop-up thermometers. By the time they come up to temp to the point where they can pop, the dark meat still is often not done, because it takes much longer to cook. Alternately, if the thermometer is in the leg of the bird, by the time it pops, the rest will be dried out.

You can take two tablespoons of butter and put one on each side of the chicken underneath the skin and next to the breast. As it cooks, the butter will help "baste" the chicken itself.
        Personally, I find cleavage very helpful. In a crime-fighting sense.

Comment

you should butterfly it (i cant describe how to do this)
          rub with the seasonings and butter brown afor about 10 minutes on each side the roast in the oven for a bout an hour or an hour and a half.
          this is good chicken

Comment

Working...
          X