This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asberger's - advice?

Along the lines of another thread title ... anyone got advice for befriending someone with Asberger's? It seems pretty mild, and he has apparently worked hard on learning the 'social skills' the rest of us take for granted.

He's a nice guy and we're getting on good anyway, but is there anything I can/should do to make him more comfortable or make anything easier for him?

Just thought I'd ask.

Yes.

Don't change anything at all about the way you treat him or act around him. The worst thing you can do is to treat someone differently or try to make things better by doing something different than you have been. I watched things like this when I was growing up. My brother has learning disabilities and several other problems. The worst thing I saw was teachers after reading his records would treat him different than other people. The best thing I ever saw was when the football team got him to be their equipment manager (he is and never was athletic). There he was just one of the guys and no one cared about anything but the game and having a good time.

Just be yourself and be his friend. At some point down the road, you might be able to ask what people do that bothers him the most. But for now don't change a thing.

Comment

From what I remember (my friends brother has Aspergers) he won't be happy with sudden changes or unexpected things, so avoid springing things on him. Also, not too much eye contact unless he makes it first. People with aspergers and other similar conditions often don't like unsolicited eye or physical contact. You may need to make some stuff a bit more obvious then you would to someone without it, as he may not pick up on non-verbal cues, you may need to *tell* him you're happy or unhappy or whatever. You may not though, it affects everyone differently, just remembering what my friends brother likes.

He likes it when you talk to him, but don't touch him or make eye contact, and he likes it if you explain things to him in almost technical detail 'That makes me happy because I like these things and it combines them'. He's pretty mild too, but may be slightly more severe than your workmate.

Otherwise just continue being cool with him and don't make a big issue of it and it should be fine. And kudos to him for working on something that must have been pretty tough.
      Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

As an Aspie myself, I agree with alot of the stuff here, and my advice would just be a repeat of them. I don't like being touched, nor do I like sudden changes or surprises.

I also have some trouble regulating the volume of my voice when talking, and have to be reminded to 'turn it down' sometimes. Those who know me use a hand gesture or a polite reminder.

Comment

I think patience will do a lot for him. If he messes up on the social skills, just keep being nice.

I agree with GingerBiscuit. You might need to make things more obvious, because it's possible that he may miss non-verbal cues and other subtle hints.

I think the most important thing, though, is what Shpepper said. Don't treat him differently, just be his friend.
          1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
          -----
          http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

I'm currently making plans to marry a man with Asperger's, and he agrees with the advice already given. He also says that sometimes they tend to collect things, so maybe you could try and find out what that is, it could be a conversation starter. Also I've noticed that when talking to chris about his collections his social skills are a bit better Overall though he hates surprises, and sometimes the subtle cues go right over his head, but he's pretty good about them usually.
            "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

If he misses a subtle social cue, be forgiving. If you're the one presenting the cue, and it's important to you, make a stronger one. Up the strength until he gets it.

If he's interested in learning the subtler social skills, and willing for you to teach him, go ahead and explain the subtle cues he's missed. Even then, be prepared for misinterpretation. Some subtle cues are extremely similar to others!

Otherwise, I agree with everyone else. Treat him like everyone else, just with the awareness that he might (MIGHT, not will) miss subtle social cues.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Another collector here. What can I say, I like cool stuff
                Quoth Shpepper View Post
                The worst thing you can do is to treat someone differently or try to make things better by doing something different than you have been.
                I would get that all the time. Disclosure (such as to an employer re: how I can and can't work) is one thing, but when people all of a sudden start treating someone with AS as "special" that can make things worse as they could think they're being condescended to.

I handle change very well, but every so often I'll get someone who thinks I can't. That gets annoying. Oddly, in an AS anime group I'm in, I come across as the most "normal".
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Further, as this is something I've had pointed out to me, do NOT ask a question unless you are really prepared to hear the honest answer.

And if he doesn't make eye contact or anything like that during a conversation, it's not that he's not listening. Eyes are just...creepy.
                  "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Being as attracted to wolves/dogs as I am, it always seemed to me that direct eye contact = challenge. It's also just creepy. So while I'm certainly capable of making direct eye contact, I just don't see a pressing need to do so. What bugs the hell out of me is when certain people say "come on, look me in the eye" or otherwise try some method of coaxing.

I'd like to know who came up with the idea that not directly staring at someone = disinterested, dishonest or shady.
                    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-03-2009, 03:43 PM.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

As an Aspie myself, I will also add that if he seems to say something rude, don't go nuts; it's very hard sometimes to prevent myself from appearing rude, but I'm honestly not being so.

Also, if he goes on and on about an obsession, learn to interject and change the subject. My best friend has that down to a fine art, and it's a good thing as I can go on for HOURS about my obsessions without realising that everyone does not want to listen.

I certainly agree with the touching thing; I always have to initiate contact, myself. I hate people who are touchy feely and put their hands on me; that's a good way to end up being shoved away. O_o
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

The advice here is stellar from what I've seen-- Especially Lace's. My brother has asperger's- since I grew up with him I don't see him as any different from anyone else, just a little more nervous to be friends with someone. You have to make the effort to keep in touch. Just be patient and things will be fine.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                          "come on, look me in the eye"
                          *Blink*

*Turns pink*

.....GAH!

Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

i found a small cheat thee during my school years I look slightly above the head I can honestly say that i have never looked any one in the eye. oddly enough i find it hard not to be able to touch some times it tends to be hardest part of work or the like that i can't get a good hug but i doubt i would want some to hug me unless i wanted to i guess. its never happened.

I also suggest never asking a question that you may not want to know the answer to. when some one does this we are compelled to answer and i have never known anyone with asbergers to lie in fact we tend to be overly honest.

some times i will sing mostly because if i am off in lala land we all have little habits.

crowds are always a big no-no with me also noisy areas nothing bothers me more i have never been great at picking up one voice in a crowd.

i don't know if it is because of my aspergers or some other thing but some time i will hear a high piched squeal it really hurts i can be a bit difficult during and just after.
                            I am not really important enough to have a funny quote yet.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                              I'd like to know who came up with the idea that not directly staring at someone = disinterested, dishonest or shady.
                              And then can we throw them into your Cuisinart? (Yeah, I HATE the whole eye contact deal too, skeeves me out bigtime)

It's interesting to note that in many European/Middle Eastern/Asian cultures, eye contact is considered rude (some go so far as to call this "giving the evil eye"). We Yanks, AFAIK, are the only ones who make it our hallmark to have eye contact.

I've sometimes wondered, in recent years, if I could be Asperger, since I have a couple of the traits mentioned, but that could also be due to my ADD and general social suckitude. I've no idea how one is diagnosed, not that I can afford to hit up a doc at present. Ah well.
                              ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Working...
                              X