Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking my driving test...once again...

Hoping I don't fail this time, and hoping to god the examiner isn't a prick like the last time.

Anyone got any advice? At least this time the DMV is in the area I grew up in, and not all the way out in Stockton.
    DS Andy Cartwright: Everyone and their mums is packin’ round here!
    Nicholas Angel: Like who?
    DS Andy Wainwright: Farmers.
    Nicholas Angel: Who else?
    DS Andy Cartwright: Farmers’ mums.

Take right turns at 10mph and left turns at 15. Always slow to the proper speed limit before you reach an active school zone. Use your turn signals and always look in both mirrors and behind before you change lanes. At stop signs, come to a full and complete stop. Never go more than 3 miles above or below the posted speed limit. Don't take both hands off the wheel for any reason, even if you're stopped. When it's your turn to go, GO; they will dock points if you don't take initiative.
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
      Take right turns at 10mph and left turns at 15. Always slow to the proper speed limit before you reach an active school zone. Use your turn signals and always look in both mirrors and behind before you change lanes. At stop signs, come to a full and complete stop. Never go more than 3 miles above or below the posted speed limit. Don't take both hands off the wheel for any reason, even if you're stopped. When it's your turn to go, GO; they will dock points if you don't take initiative.
      Do wait for the left turners to finish though if you jump on them they will dock points. You can also give a quick glance to look for red light runners. Both are perfectly ok.

Just think before acting and have confidence even if you fuck up be confident when you correct your error. Don't let it rattle you, just keep going.

And adjust your mirrors and seat before you start the test, if its not your car take a minute and learn where all the switches are, yes they can dock points for not knowing where things are.

Please post back there are bunches of things we can help you with if you don't make it.

But I have a feeling you will..

Comment

The only thing I got docked for was parallel parking, so that's the best advice I have that's still even remotely fresh in my mind (since I took the durn test some 11-12 years ago). Make sure not to get too close to the car in front of you when parallel parking. Even though I could see that the aforementioned car was pulling away, the DMV guy docked me points on that because I was too close.

Good luck!
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Don't let nerves get the best of you.
          And like Bosch said, be confident and don't let mistakes rattle you.
          Good luck! I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours!
          http://prosenylund.wordpress.com/

Comment

I just gotta make sure that this time I don't try and turn left... with a car coming opposite of me! Lol, that ends the test reaaaaaaaaal quick
            DS Andy Cartwright: Everyone and their mums is packin’ round here!
            Nicholas Angel: Like who?
            DS Andy Wainwright: Farmers.
            Nicholas Angel: Who else?
            DS Andy Cartwright: Farmers’ mums.

Comment

Stop AT or short of the stop sign - NOT at the point of the intersection where you can see cross traffic clearly. Then move forward some if necessary.

Comment

If the instructor nods and says "Right here" TURN RIGHT. I flunked my drivers test (the first time) because I didn't know "Right here" meant "Turn right up here."

Stop within 5 feet of the stop sign.

Relax, but not with a shot or two before the test.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Some mistakes I made,

Did not clearly look in my mirrors by visibly turning my head.

Also make sure you stop far enough behind someone that you can see their rear tires.

Comment

Quoth Thrifty View Post
                    Also make sure you stop far enough behind someone that you can see their rear tires.
                    You should be able to see tires and tarmac (but just a smidgen of tarmac though, not an aching expanse).
                    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I failed my first test for not checking the rear view mirror enough. i was checking but it wasn't obvious so for the second test we moved it ever so slightly so i had to physical twitch my head when I looked in it. That seemed to help.
                      Good customers are as rare as Latinum. Treasure them. ~ The 57th Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition.

Comment

Working...
                      X