Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, that's ONE way to remember it (vulgar)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, that's ONE way to remember it (vulgar)

So we're at music practice and I've just learned to play mandolin. It's different from a guitar, which is what I'm used to, so I was having a LOT of trouble remembering what notes to tune the strings to. I kept asking my friend who plays the fiddle (same tuning) and I just COULD NOT remember the proper sequence of the notes (I mean, one night, I tuned the damned thing backwards.).

All of a sudden, Ivar (who features in many of my nuttier stories) suddenly looked up and said "Gd-dn ass eaters!!!!!"

We looked at him, shocked, and then everyone just about died laughing.

A mandolin is tuned G-D-A-E. I have had ZERO problems remembering how to tune the thing from that moment on out.

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
    I was having a LOT of trouble remembering what notes to tune the strings to. I kept asking my friend who plays the fiddle (same tuning) and I just COULD NOT remember the proper sequence of the notes (I mean, one night, I tuned the damned thing backwards.).

All of a sudden, Ivar (who features in many of my nuttier stories) suddenly looked up and said "Gd-dn ass eaters!!!!!"

We looked at him, shocked, and then everyone just about died laughing.

A mandolin is tuned G-D-A-E. I have had ZERO problems remembering how to tune the thing from that moment on out.
    Hey, it's easier and more fun to remember than FACE (for the treble clef) or ACEG (for the bass clef) sequences.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Heh, I always used to have problems remembering which were stalegtites, and which were stalegmites, until I learned this little ditty
      Tights go down

Medics use the following for remembering how to attach leads to you for (I think) an ECG

Ride Your Gorgeous Bird
      (Red, Yellow, Green, Blue [I think])

[/threadjack]
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Try learning various instruments in a gamelan-Indonesian music ensemble. They're mostly variations of xylophones, but you have to remember to dampen and the other instruments are even more interesting. A few times I've called the gambang (wooden xylophone) a "gangbang"
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
          Heh, I always used to have problems remembering which were stalegtites, and which were stalegmites, until I learned this little ditty
          Tights go down
          That's because you're spelling it incorrectly. It's stalactites. There's a 'c' in it. That's how I remember which is which. The 'c' is for 'ceiling.'
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I remembered stalagtites as ceiling coz they have to hold on tight. Stalagmites as floor coz they mite reach the ceiling...
            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
              Hey, it's easier and more fun to remember than FACE (for the treble clef) or ACEG (for the bass clef) sequences.
              That's for reading sheet music. I'm talking the actual strings on the instrument.

Hey, everyone, threadjack all you like, I love these little memory devices.

Here's one we used in TV for remembering which end of the cable goes into the remote truck and which end goes into the camera. You spool out a city-block-long length of cable, you do NOT want to have to reverse the direction of it because you pulled out the male end instead of the female end. "Fuck the Truck" means the male connector goes to the truck and the female one goes to the camera.

Hmmm...all my memory devices seem to be very, very vulgar.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                AI have had ZERO problems remembering how to tune the thing from that moment on out.
                And thus it has fulfilled it's purpose.
                If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                  I remembered stalagtites as ceiling coz they have to hold on tight. Stalagmites as floor coz they mite reach the ceiling...
                  Ah! You're doing it too!

Stalactites: Have a c, for ceiling.
                  Stalagmites: Have a g, for ground. Not just helpful to remember which is which, but how they're spelled! *faints*

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                    Ah! You're doing it too!

Stalactites: Have a c, for ceiling.
                    Stalagmites: Have a g, for ground. Not just helpful to remember which is which, but how they're spelled! *faints*
                    You sound like my younger daughter, Broom.

Her summer job (when she isn't teaching 7th/8th science) is:
                    "Pounding Tourists Into A Hole In The Ground (is much more fun than sand...)"

She's a tour guide at Timpanogos Cave National Monument.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      You sound like my younger daughter, Broom.
                      I'll take that as a compliment. I've never been a cave tour guide, but my nerdery knows no bounds.

Comment

I never actually knew those were spelt differently that way. I used the 'holds tight / might reach' method as well, but now I'm going to use c for ceiling, g for ground but probably more as a spelling aid than which is which.

I mean really, those of us who can't spell would probably just use stalagtites and stalacmites and think we had *that* right and *still* get it wrong! So that isn't a very useful one for which is which, IMHO.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post

Tites on Top!!
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Electronics color code:
                            Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly
                            (Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Grey, White = 0123456789)

Or stars:
                            Oh, Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

For the wrist bones (don't believe House, they missed one:

Scared Lovers Try Positions That They Can't Handle

which stands for Scaphoid, Lunate, Triquetrum, Pisiform, Trapezium, Trapezoid, Capitate, and Hamate. If it weren't for that mnemonic, I never would have cleared my anatomy and physiology lab practical.

Comment

Working...
                              X