Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to vist the USA but need a job.

Hey Guys,

I want to visit the USA! So I have been looking at working holidays. One program that will let me do it is a J-1 Visa but to do this I need to have a job in the states related to my current study which is Event Management.

So my question is. How am I meant to get a job in event management in New York (Or anywhere but New York looks good) When I'm in Australia. I have no idea were to look!

Any advice on how to get a job & what New York is like would be very helpful.

Crowded!

Seriously, to an Aussie, most US cities are claustrophobically crowded. And New York is REALLY bad.

If you enjoy New Years Eve in the middle of a capital city, you'll do fine. If you're like me and peak hour stresses you, and NYE sounds like a visit to the ninth circle of Hell - do yourself a favour and see New York as a tourist, with no plans to stay there terribly long.*

As for getting work - it's pretty much a matter of finding contacts. Use the web! Use any friends you have on the 'net. Email complete strangers who are in the industry, email the HR staff of companies in the industry. Ask.

* I actually had a panic attack from the crowd at a food court in an Indianapolis shopping mall. And apparently, not a very busy one.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

How about trying Houston? I'll bet the hotel I currently work at could use you as a paid intern.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Yeah, Im willing to go anywhere*.

*Large citys prefered.

Comment

I don't mean to be the person spitting in the cheerios, but right now is not the time to be seeking work in the US.

So many people are out of work right now that in some of the smaller cites, rush hour traffic has thinned out noticably.

I'm not sure why they aren't just calling this a "depression." A recession is when your neighbor's out of work. A depression is when YOU'RE out of work.

I'm out of work.

Whatever you do, good luck. In the states, you'll be needing it.

Comment

I dont think its the best time to be seeking work anywhere!

Comment

This is true.

The "recession" that the US is going through is starting to lighten up though. I expected the recession to last a year and a half, maybe two.
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

If you are looking at Event Management - try the Fringe Festival in New York in August*. You will probably be on your own for paying your way, but if that is your field, then the experience will be helpful. I don't know where you are located in Australia, but they (the companies) - the ones I've met anyways - seem great about "helping their own". It is generally sucktackular work (dragging drunk actresses out of mambo clubs at 3am for example) but looks good on a resume for the right people.

*I'm not sure what type of events you are planning on, but the city is very union heavy (in that industry espspecially, so you wouldn't be able to get any viable work experience any other way).

Comment

Working...
                X