This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would This Be An Appropriate Gift?

I'm at a half dilemma here. Basically, for Easter, we going to have one of our many family friends coming around, this awesome couple whom everyone adores because they are so warm and loving. You know, the kind of people that make you feel good by being with them. The wife loves tcotchke (sp? please correct) of all sorts of bears and birds and angels and bath soaps and other asthma activating products and blingy jewelry. The husband likes cars but doesn't really want a gift for him, if that makes sense, he wants one for the pair of them. Said couple also do not drink alcohol but do enjoy Martinelli's ciders (they make sparkling cider and juices, comes in glass bottles similar to wine). Rather than buying them one more trinket, I was thinking of buying them three bottles of cider and sparkling juices, different flavors, and putting them into a pretty bag. I'm a bit worried they won't like it, they'll be expecting wine, (which is a nicer gift), but be a bit disappointed by the cider instead. What do you guys think? (FYI-we normally give them things like gift certificates or boxes of chocolates).
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

If they don't drink wine why would they expect it? If you know they like the cider, I think it's perfectly appropriate. It lets them know that you know what they like. Giving something you know they won't use gives the impression that either you don't know them that well or you don't care that much. You can wrap it up nice and pretty, or even include a small box of fancy chocolates or something.
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 04-07-2009, 02:16 AM.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

mmmm, Martinelli's.... *drools*

Honey, that is the best brand of sparkling juices you can buy. If I was them, I would really appreciate it.

Would it help you to know that I gave my Significant Others' parents red wine (nasty Cabernet Sauvignon, but it's his mother's favourite) and homemade dark chocolate truffles. It was very well received. Gone before the day was over, actually.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

But, if they don't drink wine, then wine isn't a better gift, because it's something they won't use.

It doesn't matter how much money you spend, or how 'classy' the present is, if they won't or can't use the present, then it's a bad gift.

Conversely, it doesn't matter how little you spend, or how kitschy the present, if it's something they'll enjoy, then it's a good present.

ETA: it can be tchotchke, tshotshke, tshatshke, tchatchke, chachke, or chochke. (Don't you love wikipedea?)

I usually use 'tchatchke'.
        Last edited by ArcticChicken; 04-07-2009, 05:07 AM.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
          The wife loves tcotchke (sp? please correct) of all sorts of bears and birds and angels and bath soaps and other asthma activating products and blingy jewelry. The husband likes cars but doesn't really want a gift for him, if that makes sense, he wants one for the pair of them.
          What about some little item that is similar in style to the other ones she has but is a car, cars, or car-related? Something they could both appreciated? Just a thought.

Quoth ralerin View Post
          Said couple also do not drink alcohol but do enjoy Martinelli's ciders.

I'm a bit worried they won't like it, they'll be expecting wine, (which is a nicer gift), but be a bit disappointed by the cider instead.
          If they don't drink, wouldn't they be more disappointed by wine? Your faux wine gift basket I think is brilliant. If you think it shows you as being cheap (I don't), why not dress up it like a real wine basket, with cheeses and fruits and such? Add your own touch of class to it. There's no reason why you can't take a non-alcoholic drink present to the next level.

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
          It doesn't matter how much money you spend, or how 'classy' the present is, if they won't or can't use the present, then it's a bad gift.

Conversely, it doesn't matter how little you spend, or how kitschy the present, if it's something they'll enjoy, then it's a good present.
          Seconded.

I have gotten expensive gifts that made me go "Meh."

And some of the greatest gifts I ever got were inexpensive or downright free.

Only a materialistic wench (Why hello there, my older sister!) would allow the cost of a gift to determine how much they liked it. And by your description, the couple in question is lovely, so why would they do that?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
            But, if they don't drink wine, then wine isn't a better gift, because it's something they won't use.
            At best they'll re-gift wine. My MIL also doesn't drink (she got religion), so we often include sparkling non-alcoholic juices and ciders.

Your original idea sounds good to me.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Thats a damn good idea about the cider. A gift means so much more when you put the thought into it towards the folks interests, likes and dislikes. You seem to have put the thought into it.

A nice basket with a couple of bottles of cider, some cheeses, some crackers, etc. Bingo a nice spring picknick, or the makings for a nice romantic evening for them to relax to at home latter one. I think you hit the nail on the head.
              My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                mmmm, Martinelli's.... *drools*

Honey, that is the best brand of sparkling juices you can buy. If I was them, I would really appreciate it.
                thats up to debate i personally like the lighter feel of <my last name> brand

Comment

ooooo or.....

if you think the fake wine basket of sparkling cider (which i agree sounds really thoughtful)
                  why not decorate the inside of it with miniature fancy cars?

That way it's a gift of things they both like?

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                    thats up to debate i personally like the lighter feel of <my last name> brand
                    As you failed to produce a name or location from which to obtain it, then no, it's not up for debate. And if you meant it's something you make yourself, that still doesn't count. Come on, pony up the name and where to get it! Enquiring minds wanna try it.
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                    X