This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YAAAAYYYYYY!!!!

So amongst all the end of semester stress and wrangling with students and not knowing how to pay my bills this summer.....some amazing news!!

Among the classes that we're offered to TA, the biggest by far is the Intro class. Everybody has to take their turn in what's called 'Intro Hell', because it's mostly non-majors who really could give a damn about what you're trying to beat into them. Everybody starts with two sections of Intro each semester for their first year...and usually the second.

But next year - I get to TA Theatre History for one semester!!! I'm soooo excited, since I am a theatre historian and the professor I'll be working with is who I hope to work with for my thesis. I'll still do one Intro section in the fall and two in the spring, but I'll at least do one different class! This is actually pretty rare for a second year...so I'm really really excited!!!!
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

My friend had to teach freshman composition when she was in grad school (for English Lit); she showed me some of their essays, and I felt like I should give her a hug. And I thought my freshman writing was bad.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Congrats! That's awesome! I know how great it must feel to go through less suck, not to mention rubbing elbows with some important people
      "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Wooo! Congrats hon I'm actually slightly jealous right now

Comment

The biggest thing for me is that the 'Powers That Be' like and trust me enough to give me the class over the second year students. There are 5 second-years, I'm the only first-year. Now, I don't know what classes they have...they could have other assignments beside Intro as well. But I really wanted the theatre history class, and to be honest, I've got the strongest history background of the group.

Need to e-mail that professor to set up an end-of-semester meeting so we can discuss summer prep. I need something to do during my summer of unemployment!

Comment

Awesome! Hey, do they still hold it in that gargantuan auditorium?
            I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

*shiver* intro classes....hated them all....cant imagine having to teach it

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
                Awesome! Hey, do they still hold it in that gargantuan auditorium?
                Yeah, Intro is in Wescoe. I hate that stupid building and its lack of climate control. Apparently there are bigger lecture halls in Budig, though. I think that Theatre History is in some other random building - apparently none of the rooms in Murphy are big enough for it.

Comment

That sounds like a great class to TA for!! Good luck!
                  Quote Dalesys:
                  ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
                  X