This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To the Canadian board members

This is to the Canadian members of our board who are within driving distance of the American border. And my question is what do you come down here to buy?

The reason I ask is because every day or so we get Canadian shoppers who come to my store to buy stuff that they can't find up there. And I keep thinking what an enterprising notion it would be to have a store that exclusively sells products that you cannot find in Canada, but I'm assuming are still legal otherwise why would so many people come across the border to get them?

And so I'm asking Canadian members of many of my favorite boards, for your shopping lists. Please only include things you go to grocery or convenience stores for, not resturaunt items. Thanks.

Hrm. I have no car, and not really in driving distance (probably about 5 hours or so, if you keep the hammer down), but I'm interested in what people have to say, too.

If you are looking to open a shop on the Canadian side of the border, I'd caution you first to look closely at any regs concerning the products. Some of them are bizarre, and can smack you upside the head, such as the no caffeine in non-cola coloured products.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Well, I'm not thinking of opening it on the Canadian side. But if they're going to come down here anyway it seems like a good idea to at least have something available on this side.

I know some people get Aleve and Tylenol PM. And I also learned that you can only Tylenol 3 in Canada, but I imagine there are legal reasons for that.

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
        Well, I'm not thinking of opening it on the Canadian side.

I know some people get Aleve and Tylenol PM. And I also learned that you can only Tylenol 3 in Canada, but I imagine there are legal reasons for that.
        This actually seems like a really good idea. Advertising might be awkward, but if you can get the word out, it'd do well, I'm sure. I'm a little thrown about the people getting Tylenol PM over the border. I'm pretty sure you can get it here. Wonder if there's formula differences.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
          Some of them are bizarre, and can smack you upside the head, such as the no caffeine in non-cola coloured products.
          Does that mean you can't get Mt. Dew in Canada?
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
            Does that mean you can't get Mt. Dew in Canada?
            You can. Its labeled Mountain Dew.

Here in America, its labeled Caffine Free Mountain Dew.
            Military Spouse Support.
            http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
            Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post

Yep. Qft. Fun, eh?

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post

Why on earth would anyone buy that?
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

We have been to bellingham to shop at trader joes and hot topic speficially

but its usually just cool to go on vacation thats close... you can only go to kelowna and vernon so many times.....
                  I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Is there anything at Hot Topic you can't get in Canada? I might be able to skim their catalogs.

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                      Why on earth would anyone buy that?
                      Because it's all there is for Mountain Dew up here?

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
                        Is there anything at Hot Topic you can't get in Canada? I might be able to skim their catalogs.
                        I can order stuff online sometimes

but I just like shopping there

kiwi the emo
                        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I stock up on a few things when I get to the States

Aleve, Yankee Candles, stuff from Bath & Body Works, Da Vinci's sugar-free syrups, Sugar-Free TANG, and a lot of stuff like shampoo, soap, etc is up to 1/2 as cheap in the States.
                          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

There are a lot of processed low fat & fat free foods that aren't available here. We're not a big enough market apparently.
                            "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

I don't go to the States to shop, but I'll order online. Even with customs fees and exchange rates, some things are much cheaper from the US than in Canada. Books and DVD's are the big thing.

I'm in the market for a new car, and I have been considering purchasing one from the US and importing it, as many Canadians have been doing lately. There is a lot of bureaucratic hassle and red tape, but the difference in car prices can be thousands of dollars.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Working...
                              X