This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Hunt Q #2 It wasn't me!

So, as most of you know, I was a travel agent. Every time I interview for a position, my interviewer has to tell me about their "bad travel agent experience". I don't want to slag my compatriots, but when they explain what happened then I find myself explaining what I would have done differently. I understand that I've only heard my interviewer's side, but at the same time I feel that I have betrayed my fellow agents in some way.
    Honestly, some of my knee jerk responces to the stories range from "I would have been able to fire you as a client because you were such a dick" to "that person was uneducated about the area" so I just say "without knowing the full story I can't make a judgement on what happened but this is what I would have done..."
    Is that ok?
    PepperGirl - as much as I don't want back "in the life" I miss it, and it is all I know at this point.

Me, I'm a joker, so I would make a joke about it.

THEM: "Oh, you used to be a travel agent? I have to tell you, I had the WORST travel experience this one time...."
    YOU: "Wow, that's awful. Well, I see the problem you had."
    THEM: "What was that?"
    YOU: "You didn't have ME as a travel agent!" (BIG SMILE)

This doesn't betray your fellow agents, this merely pumps you up and defuses the awkward situation with some humor and a good-natured "Hey, I rock." You are not saying anything bad about other agents, other than the one that screwed up their vacation. You aren't even addressing the specific problem the interviewer had. Even if the interviewer was a dick and deserved to be pummeled about the head and shoulders with a tire iron, you have to remember your first priority is to get the job you're applying for. Which means pumping yourself up and making yourself look good.

Remember, the most important person you can do anything for is....yourself.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

I like that, I've used something similar a few times.
      I'm rusty at the whole interview thing beacause I was employed for 11 yrs at the same job and am very spoiled.
      I have had one interview where the person interviewing me had booked thru us and had a good experience, but neither of us could remember the exact person who had booked the trip. Since they didn't stay where I usually would have had my client stay I'm pretty sure they used a different agent in the office.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        THEM: "Oh, you used to be a travel agent? I have to tell you, I had the WORST travel experience this one time...."
        YOU: "Wow, that's awful. Well, I see the problem you had."
        THEM: "What was that?"
        YOU: "You didn't have ME as a travel agent!" (BIG SMILE)
        That's actually a rather good response to it. It shows that you have good self confidence and tried to take care of your clients.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
        X