This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd and Serious Situation

So, i figured Id post here and get a general consensus of something that happened to me this week.

As some of you may know, Im in nursing school, Im nearly done and in my LAST clinical rotation which happens to be evenings on the hospitals mental health unit. Alot of the people there are depressed, suicidal, some are schizophrenics and other various personality/mental things.

I was there thursday and friday (4/2 - 4/3) evening from 3-11pm-ish both days, I was assigned 2 patients those two days to interview and assess and practice randoms types of therapeutic communication. I thought the week went well and went home happy.

Come up to this Thursday (4/9) and its 11:58am and Im generally getting ready to get into school at 2pm and start my second week of mental health.

My phone rings...I see its a hospital number, and knowing I was waiting for human resources to call me, I have it in my mind that its probably human resources. So I answer, here the jist of the conversation:

Caller: Hello, this is *Made Up Name*, may I ask who Im speaking to?
    Me: *thinking that name sounds vaguely familiar*Oh, hello this is *Amina Badima* (not my real name..lol.)
    Caller: Oh, youre one of the nuuuurrrssessssss (her emphasis not mine)..I dont know if I meant to call you..I think I might have to call another number...oh..um...yeah...this...uhh...ok..bye. *hangs up*

Immediately, Im like WTF? 3 seconds later it hits me why the callers name sounded familiar...I run over to my mental health binder and open it up and look at the patient list for last week.....the person who called me was a freaking psych patient!!

Seriously...I had a mini heart attack and scrambled to find my instructors number with a building fear in my heart. She didnt pick up so I called a class mate and told him that i had been called by a psych patient on my home phone and he was speech less...

Basically LONG LONG STORY SHORT...all of the appropriate people were informed and DID NOTHING. They rather seemed happy to insinuate that I possibly had a "boundary" issue and possibly gave my information to the patients myself. WHICH I FUCKIN DID NOT

I went home pissed that night..and came back the next day and informed them all that I was lodging a complaint with the hospital b/c I didnt think it was handled appropriately and all of a sudden..they cared.

Now there were emails flying back and forth and Im waiting to hear something on Monday or Tuesday but seriously WTF.

TO SUM IT ALL UP: A psych pt I had no contact with AT ALL somehow figured out my house phone number WHICH IS LISTED UNDER MY HUSBANDS NAME and therefore had to call all of the people with my last name to find me then CALLED me on it for no reason....and no one wants to do anything about it.....

Im livid..bc if this lady has my number out the phone book she now has my address, and Ive already informed my son that he can no longer go outside of the house with the dog to the yard anymore b/c im scared.

Oh, and forgot to add. We HAVE to wear our student name badges that LIST first and last name on the front...while the actual employees only have badges with their first names....

Any advice for when i meet with these higher ups next week? Im just pissed and kinda want to be prepared with questions from all angles when I go.

Let me know if anything is unclear....I'm tired and this was kinda long to type. lol.

ETA: this WAS NOT a patient of mine, or of any other student. I had no contact with her..and literally didnt say 2 words to her...I honestly didnt know who she was until she was pointed out to me after the fact.
    Last edited by Amina516; 04-12-2009, 03:54 AM.

Jeezum crow!!

I can't believe they're not taking THAT very seriously. You say you had no contact, but was this one of the two you met with, or another one? If another one, it seems incredibly unlikely you'd have given them your number - that's just an insance defence on their part. As unlikely that you did give it to the two you spoke to, at least you had some interaction with them, so they could reasonably consider it as a possibility.

First step - get a badge with a fake last name.

Now, it also sounds as if you're dealing direct with the hospital itself. What about your nursing school? Is there a Dean or something that you can involve on your behalf?

Comment

I think you should ask them to revisit the policy of requiring students to wear their full names. I don't see why there's any reason for that...and the fact that you're students still in training is all the more reason for you not to have your full name on your tag, if you ask me. They can easily denote on the tag that you're a student; there's no reason to include full names.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        They can easily denote on the tag that you're a student; there's no reason to include full names.
        I'm not sure how student nurses work in the US, but in the UK the entire uniform is different if you're a student.

Security purposes is one of the reasons why I don't have my number listed in the telephone book, it's just not worth it if you're anything to do with the public sector.
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

This was NOT one of the patients I was assigned at all. I really had no contact whatsoever with this patient.

The dean of students is also being informed of the situation. It angers me that I had to threaten a complaint for any action to be taken. I dont feel that they would treat one of the staff in thie manner had this happened to them.

I refuse to wear my badge at all now..so screw them on that. And as far as uniforms, we arent allowed to wear uniforms on the psych floor since it "scares" the patients, so everyone, employees included are in business casual wear.

I just dont know what to do..and will most likely be changing my home number.

Comment

Make sure if your phone company bills you for that you keep the invoice - and include it in your complaint. They should be paying for that.

Comment

I have a meeting with hospital security and the psych wards nurse manager on Thursday. I dont know what will come of this, but apparently its considered a "reportable event" (not sure what that means...lol.) and shouldve been reported by the psych staff when they had first been informed. Jerks...

I'll be sure to update if anyone cares. lol

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                I have a meeting with hospital security and the psych wards nurse manager on Thursday. I dont know what will come of this, but apparently its considered a "reportable event" (not sure what that means...lol.) and shouldve been reported by the psych staff when they had first been informed. Jerks...

I'll be sure to update if anyone cares. lol
                Oooh, I hope some heads will roll for the way they treated you.

And yeah.....

Comment

*sits with Reyneth and eats too*

I want an update! I want to know what happens! I hope they get roasted over the coals!

Sorry this had to happen to you. I hope everything is straightened out and you can let your little one out with the dog again.

Comment

My meeting got bumped to today at 1:30 pm. I'll be back to let everyone know what they say...

Comment

So, I did have the meeting today. the regular manager was gone and we had the assistant nurse manager in training, a head security guy, my instructor and me.

Basically the assistant manager REALLY REALLY liked her brilliant theory that it was a weird coincidence..I mean, she said it like 7 times in about 10 minutes. I reminded her that I had received TWO calls from this number 2 days apart and that kinda shut her up. She also wanted to say that it probably wasn't the patient calling but my instructor quickly told her that she was seen on the phone by the daytime students so that also shut her down.

The security guy was really concerned with how I was feeling..If I was scared to be on the unit with the patient (Which Im not, but I am slightly uncomfortable.) He took a lot of notes as we talked and just really tried to figure out how this could have occured. It has apparently NEVER happened to anyone else in the history of the hospitals psych floor (lucky me..right? lol.). Security guy was going to pull the phone records and see if the lady dialed straight out of the phone book til she found me by comparing the records to the phone book....if thats the case he said something would need to be done since its too stalker like to be left go.

Other than that, I did suggest to them that they make covering last names mandatory for future students. The nurse manager did apologize to me and asked if theres anything she could do but there really wasnt (besides shutting the hell up. LOL...)

How anticlimatic right??? LOL. I still have to wait for the results of the security guys search. If she didnt dial down the phone book..I really have no idea how she then got my number and that scares me even more.

Im just really hoping that this lady is so crazy, she forgets about me. lol.

Comment

It's good to hear they're no longer blaming you. It also sounds like you have a competent security guy. In the end, I think I'd prefer anti-climactic. I hope this never happens to you again
                        I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Is it possible that someone has a list of students and their contact info, and they were stupid enough to leave it hanging around where the patient could find it? Maybe the Nurse manager or someone like that.

If that's the case, maybe the patient just picked a name and number at random, or liked your name or something.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.

Comment

Quoth sexiphatchick View Post
                            Is it possible that someone has a list of students and their contact info, and they were stupid enough to leave it hanging around where the patient could find it? Maybe the Nurse manager or someone like that.

If that's the case, maybe the patient just picked a name and number at random, or liked your name or something.
                            Wish that was the case. The staff doesnt have access to students numbers and there arent any numbers even available inside of that unit. They have a little room outside the locked unit where the staff goes to store person items and make phone calls. IDK....

Comment

Working...
                            X