Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History Buffs and Ghost Hunters, I need help!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History Buffs and Ghost Hunters, I need help!

Alright guys, due to some severe paranormal activity lately, I've decided I want to know the history of the building I live in. So far, what I've found is record of it being lived in as early as 1884. However, according to the site I was at (www.oldlouisville.com) that was as early as they had accurate recordings of residency/ownership of buildings.

The style of building I'm living in, the Italiante style, was introduced to Louisville around the mid 1850s. This gives us a time line of the building being built, owned, and/or resided in between 1850-ish and 1884, after which I have pretty accurate records of residency.

Now, here's the kicker. IF the building was built before 1865, the basement was slave quarters, which is what Sir believes it to be. Several people have been in the basement (including myself three times total in a year... Sir does laundry, I refuse to go down there), and felt severely negative energy. All of them, including myself, felt either distraught, angry, sad, or scared. I've also had several incidences of nearly being pushed down the back stairs from the 2nd floor to the first, when I was the only one in the stairwell. We know that this stairwell was used as servant stairs.

So, ghost hunters and history buffs, give me a hand! Help me find out more information about my ghosts, my building, and more, and I'll give you even more info about why I want it.

Red, I am a bit of a history buff (though not a ghost hunter), and I don't know if *I* could help you, but one thing I do know is that anyone who would help you would need more information about your building in particular. In other words, the name and/or address of the building.

Of course, the downside to that, as anyone with half a brain can see, is that you would be giving out your address on the internet, always a chancy proposition. So you need to weigh the one against the other.

Just something to think about.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Yes, that is the biggest problem I see too.... I do, however, have information the the BLOCK I'm on... perhaps that's useful?

Comment

Red, perhaps. But I doubt it. A block is a lot of area, especially when we are talking about history that goes back 150 years and may involve paranormal activity. What I would suggest is that for anyone who offers to help, you need to make a decision on whether or not you would trust them with such information, and then PM them that information.

Just a thought.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

I thought I'd share a picture of this beautiful old building that I'm talking about. It looks a little different now, than in the picture, and I will get some new pictures of it, but yeah.. Here it is

Click image for larger version

Name:	1027.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	2029190

Comment

RHPG, head to your local library, and get ready to spend some time with ye olde microfilm machine. That's assuming Louisville had a paper back then and have kept records of it. You may also want to see if you can find deeds to the property...maybe the local courthouse?
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I do have lists of names of the people who lived here/owned the building between 1884 and 1938... The same person lived here from 1884-1913, though I believe this person may have actually been the one to build the house, and lived in it before 1884. I can also tell, from the deed records, and from genealogical research I've done on the first recorded owner/resident, that he may have passed the building on to his son in law when he died in 1913.

But I am definitely going to head to the library this week, and possibly the historical society, as they're only a few blocks away

Comment

Quoth RedHeadPhoneGirl View Post
                I thought I'd share a picture of this beautiful old building that I'm talking about. It looks a little different now, than in the picture, and I will get some new pictures of it, but yeah.. Here it is

[ATTACH]1596[/ATTACH]
                rather lovely building, however do keep in mind that fairly often servants and slaves lived in what we now consider the attic, not the basement. The basement was generally used as storage for preserved foods, and in many areas where it was the primary form of heating, coal for stoves and furnaces.

Also, even though slavery was legal, you may find it unusual but many people just did not own many slaves, frequently just one or 2 'maids of all work' and an outside boy. In general most slaves were not treated badly [please note - i dont give a crap that you consider being kept as chattel was bad, I am referring to beatings, maimings, not being fed.] Slaves tended to be high ticket items, think of a single female house slave being the equivalent to buying the refrigerator, washer/dryer, dishwasher and top of the line vacuum cleaner as a single item, about the cost of an inexpensive car. You really *don't* mistreat something that expensive. Not to mention there were actually laws about how you maintained your slaves.

As to the creepy feelings in the basement, do watch and pay attention to Ghost Hunters. They are more interested in the actual scientific investigation of proposed hauntings. The british bint who panics and caims every place she is in currently on that show is the most haunted <whatever> she has ever experienced and does not use scientific investigation is full of crap. Electromagnetic force can cause a lot of physiological effects, including a feeling of unease, paranoia, rashes, digestive complaints .... and many times older buildings like that have a combination of very old and oddly installed plumbing, old less than optimally insulated electrical wiring, recently installed wiring for cable/computer and can have some really funky electrical effects going on.

If you really are that worried, try contacting Ghost Hunters. They are great at responding in there are kids involved, and if they themselves cant manage to work you in, they can suggest a local group that they work with that may be able to come out and investigate.

Unless you just want to get a ouija board and go all new agy and woo-woo about it.

Do note, I happen to believe that there are real hauntings, but I also believe that most things can have a perfectly scientific reason for happening that makes something seem paranormal.
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post

Unless you just want to get a ouija board and go all new agy and woo-woo about it.

Do note, I happen to believe that there are real hauntings, but I also believe that most things can have a perfectly scientific reason for happening that makes something seem paranormal.
                  First, thank you for the advice The main reason we believe that the slaves and/or servants lived in the basement is that the back stairs connect to the basement stairs and go to the second floor, but not the third. There is no attic in this building (to my knowledge, but I live on the second story). I will contact Ghost Hunters, as that would be very cool to bring them through here Old Louisville is known as one of the most haunted neighborhoods in America, and as I've seen the ghost we call The Lady of the House on several occasions walking up and down the front stairs, I know this building is haunted.

As for the Ouija board. No. Not just no, but HELL NO. I won't let one of those things within a 200 sq. foot radius of my house, let alone IN it.

And yes, I believe there are quite often perfectly scientific reasons for things happening that seem paranormal. However, walking into your apartment to see your dishes moving, or coming out of your apartment to run into a see through woman coming up the front stairs generally tell you something non-scientific is going on

Comment

You might also want to check on what was on that spot before your building went up. I say that because I once worked at a place that had a ghost that hung out in one particular spot and prefered to scare men. It wasn't a spot where something bad had ever happened (random part of a public area). When I researched what they tore down to build the current building there was a house and a second floor bedroom was in the same spot. I'm thinking the ghost may pre-date the current structure.

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
                      I'm thinking the ghost may pre-date the current structure.
                      I'm not thinking this is the case with this building. The clothes the "Lady" wears are quite similar to the era in which this house was built, so I wonder if she's the wife of the man who lived here between (at least) 1884-1913.

Comment

Red if you get TAPS to visit...can I come visit? I so want to get a hug from Steve...he is soooo cute!

As for everything else, sometime ago I was staying with a friend in Chicago and their building was hooked up very badly when electricity came to town in full force. The old pipes there gave off enough energy to make ones hair start to stand up. All I can remember of said building is the whole place gave me that itchy creepy feeling. So being so old it may have some backwards wires that need to be straightened.

As for slave/workers/whomever being kept down there it is possible since there is a direct access to the second level from there. Could you look for building specs as well when you go on your info search?

Comment

I'm definitely going to look for building specs. And according to Sir, our land lord has some info on the history of the building, so I'm going to ask him about it too Apparently, the LL told Sir that our apartment used to be the kitchen. This confuses me greatly, as we're on the second floor.. Any historical architect people that can confirm this would be possible?

And if I could figure out how to get TAPS out here, I'll invite ANYONE who wants to be here over, because that would be just about one of the coolest things EVER.

ETA: I looked on their website, and can't find a link for requesting they come check things out. I have, however, sent the Louisville Ghost Hunting (Hunters?) Society a request for THEM to come check out my building.

Comment

Yup it is possible if the building has gone through more then one renovation. I know one of my Aunt's have a picture somewhere of the old boarding house Mom and them used to live in. The second floor held a small kitchen used for heating water for baths and to give some tennats more space to cook their own things. The first floor held a larger kitchen that Grandma cooked in. *shrugs* I'm not too sure of the reasoning however since Mom was only 5 when they moved out so it was in 1947 when this was happening.

The building was shot down a year later by Grandpa and some out of work injured vets about twenty years later. And yes I do mean shot down...they used a shot gun on it.

Comment

Well, I do know that between 1933 and 1938, the house was used as a boarding house/furnished rooms, or so says the register. It was run by a woman in that time

Comment

Working...
                              X