This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm ready to sue someone

This is a carry on from the thread about when I had the fire in the kitchen.

We lost our hot water friday morning and we had a string of other problems with the electricity and numerous power surges which were shorting out our appliences, and constantly being zapped by our taps and even through the water in our sink.

So, Saturday comes around, and my 7 year old daughter is playing outside and she happened to touch the fence which is near our water main and she received a very nasy electric shock off it, I heard her scream and start crying, I run out there and she's limping towards me, told me what happened and saying her leg feels like jelly.

I took her up to the hospital to be checked out, she had a ECG and that checked out ok.

When we got home I rang the real estate to get an electircian out here now, which they whined about because it was easter Saturday and it would cost a fortune to get him out. I don't care, get his butt out here and fix this. They send him out, he takes a look at the fuse box and tells me that a faze is missing and needs replacing, but he can't replace it because it was up to the owners because it costs alot to do, and with that he leaves.

At this point I am seathing, so I ring up my electric company and tell them I'm getting shocks and tingles from the bathroom taps and could someone come have a look, she told me not to touch anything and sent someone over straight away.

A couple of guys come around, an electrician and a linesman. The tested the shower taps and 199 volts were coming off that tap, they then tested the water coming rom the sink and 182 volts were in the water, the last thing they tested was the fence where my daughter got her zapp, 186 volts

They replace the missing faze and everything is fine now, but they made a report and told me the house needs to be rewired.

In the meantime, because to the power surges I have lost..

A 900 dollar fridge, it burnt out the motor
    My Computer (I'm using the hubby's laptop)
    My phone (It was burnt in the fire)
    The microwave

What's worse was I could have potentially lost my daughter if the shock was big enough, If my 2 year old touched It would of been alot worse, I've been zapped numerous times in the shower and It bloody hurts!

So I've documented everything and will request a copy of the report made by the electric company and will have a chat to the bond authority people, if they can't help the may be able to tell me who can.

It's scary to know we were living in a potential death trap.

We are looking into buying a house so hopefully that will go well, it's my birthday on Wednesday and hubby is taking me to dinner, need for something good to happen.
    I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

*blinks* ... *blinks and frowns* ... *growls* I don't even know whose head to roll first...

Comment

i've been shocked myself... course it was kinda my own fault.. 115 volts 400hz.

though ... the volts themselves don't matter, it's the current that kills you.

though for my own apartmen... hmmm i dunno where the breakers are. I should check that out. I'm not afraid to throw them off myself. i did that in the old apartment during the hurricane after the power went off (just to be safe).

oh found it in the hallway. painted shut but that's not an issue. i have a gerber and I'm not afraid to use it (if needed)

just thinking... if it's safe to get to the breaker where you live... throwing them off wouldn't have been a bad idea.
      but not everyone is use to doing stuff like that ... i kinda got use to it from having to handle breakers at work on a regular basis

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        though ... the volts themselves don't matter, it's the current that kills you.
        half right. I beleive the phrase goes "Volts hurt, amps kill."

It's why you see people who are able to do those living lightning shows, saying that there's several thousand volts running through their body. Of course it is, but the amperage is insanely low.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Whaaaaaat?!! Holy fuck! Your house is a bigger death trap than my friend's old Matador. I would report those asap, see if you can get that fixed up and hopefully compensated for the damage it did to your appliances and/or daughter's hospital bill for the EKG from that shock.
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I'll definatley be looking for compensation for the lost property and also for having to put up with it for so long. The trip to the hospital didn't cost anything though, I go through the public system.
            I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

Comment

I'm glad your daughter is okay. That would freak me out so much if that were to happen to my kid. ::shudder:: Can I kick that first electrician? Please?
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

ooh yeah if the landlord/lady provided the electrician then yes... i think they should be liable for that damage. especially since he did nothing to fix a potentially dangerous situation when you asked for help

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                  I'm glad your daughter is okay. That would freak me out so much if that were to happen to my kid. ::shudder:: Can I kick that first electrician? Please?
                  You can kick him after me, i've got first dibs

Comment

Not sure where you are, but sue sue sue and then sue....

Grab one of those lawyers who don't charge unless they win (they take a large % of the winings though...).

They deserve to have the crap scared out of them... and a kick in the wallet usually makes them remember for a long long time. (besides... they'll have to have insurance for that sort of thing - make them use it!)
                    When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

I agree, get a lawyer!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.

Comment

First submit to them what you paid, what was damaged and that you expect to be compensated..if no response, or they ignore or try to say theyre not responsible, THEN sue, probably small claims (judge Judy??? lol.). Also any medical bills from your daughters visit. Im so happy your daughter is fine.

Thats freaking ridiculous!!!!!! And not to mention scary.

Is everything ok now?

Comment

Everything is fine now, no more dramas, i'm having a chat to my rental bond authoruty to see what I can do about the damaged property

Comment

Working...
                          X