This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SO/ I've Never SEen Snow Before

Decades ago I worked with a lovely woman who had a bad problem. Her Husband was doing his residency at a prestigious local hospital. She was working with us as a Receptionist. Before coming to NYC, both she and her husband had spent their entire lives in Barbados.

It was a bitter winter. You not only had to wear a hat, coat, gloves and boots. You needed to smear your face with vasilene before going out into the the winds. The cold and the wind was that brutal.

We often had lunch together and Martha cued me in on something I'd never thought about before. She said that, when she looked out her kitchen window in the morning, she could understand that the weather would be nasty when the sky was gray and dark. When she saw bright sunlight and white, puffy clouds in a brilliant blue sky, she couldn't accept that the temperature would be so brutally cold.
    Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

You must be speaking of Winter Deceit. One of Father Nature's wonderful deceitful games he plays.

There were a few days this past winter in Wisconsin where it would be in the double digits below zero, but the sun would be peeking out........ahh the only days the sun actually DID come out from December-early March.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

My first winter in Vancouver was okay

My first winter 3-4 hours north was horrid, I ventured out maybe twice a week when I didn't have to go to work. I hated it, the beautiful fluffy snow I had been fooled by on TV was dirty mushy brown cold disgusting stuff broke my heart.

stupid snow!
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

My Dad is from Barbados When he went to university in Englad he said he nearly froze to death - then he moved to Canada! (Well, he started off in Victoria, BC, which is probably the mildest possible bit of Canada). His mother was terrified he would get even colder so she knitted him the single warmest sweater I have ever seen in my life. It was actually TOO warm for him, so I ended up stealing it as a teenager (giant sweaters and leggings were The Look that year). I finally gave it back last year when Dad came out moose hunting to Alberta. He's been in Canada for 40 years now but minus 45C is freaking cold by any standards

I actually really like the clear sunny take-your-breath-away-cold days in Alberta. So much better than the damp dreary coastal drizzle

Comment

Working...
        X