This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh, That's TMI

OK, my cousin just had a baby via a planned c-section (something about her cervix not cooperating) and she put up baby pics on her Facebook page.

Cute, right? And totally natural for a proud new mom.

Except for the three pictures of the baby being lifted out of her sliced-open abdomen.

I seriously did not need to see that, Margie. Especially since the idea of a c-section grosses me out and it's pretty much the last thing I want to do.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

If Baby #2 doesn't cooperate, there's a good chance I'll have to have a scheduled C-section. Hubby is under strict orders not to videotape any sort of vaginal birth I may have, nor is he allowed to take pictures of the C-section (even if the hospital will let him, which I've heard this one won't). I just don't want that in our photo collection.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I had two C-sections. Having seen them, my husband twitches and calls placenta (do not highlight unless you are ready to be completely grossed out):

Blood Pancakes
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

If I ever have kids, there will be no cameras allowed until after the baby is born. Take all the pics you want, then.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

My dad taped both the birth of both my younger sisters. Fortunately, they were both born long before online social networks, so the only people who saw them were family...

Still, if you're going to take pics of the new baby, at least wait until they're completely born. I think it's kind of gross and pointless to take pics of the baby as they emerge from the womb (unless it's for educational purposes). If you're that obsessive, you might as well take pics of the mom-to-be's pregnant belly whenever the baby so much as kicks...

Comment

If I ever have a kid I don't want pictures of the baby until they clean him off and none of me until the next day when I've had time to wash and attempt sleep.
            How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

I was an emergency c-section and somehow, as my mother was having an asthma attack on the operating table, they got pictures of me coming out of my mother's abdomen, all wonderful and bloody. I think a nurse commandeered the camera and took it upon herself to snap a couple shots, because my dad doesn't like blood and was close to fainting himself during the operation, so there was no way he would have taken any pictures.

I don't really mind taking pictures of the baby if he/she is still bloody or whatever, but under no circumstances will there be any pictures of the actual birth (natural or c-section)! *shudders* Ick!

Comment

Hm. Guess I'm the only one not bothered by photos of birth.

Then again, when it comes to childbirth, I'm a bit crunchy granola about it. Most of the people in my social circle are, and a couple have given birth in the last year. I've seen photos of, well, basically the entire birth, for both of them.

My sister and I were both c-sections for health reasons (non-elective in both cases), and there are photos of both births from basically point one.

Although I can't imagine sharing birth photos with my entire Facebook friend list, I can certainly imagine having it documented in photos (maybe not video...not sure about that) and saving the photos for those who want to see it, or for the child when s/he gets older. I'm convinced one of the reasons my sister is in medicine now is because all those things were regarded as being normal, and we weren't squicked by them.

Then again, like I said, we're a bit crunchy about health things. Having been raised as New Hampshirites might also have some bearing on that. Most of my urban friends consider me a total yankee/country girl.

Comment

At my first high school, we had to watch 3 birthing videos in 10th grade health class.

Two of them were vaginal births, and one was a c-section.

Pardonnez mon francais, but How in GOD'S NAME did that NOT work into scaring the kids into keeping their pants on or at least wearing condoms, I do not fucking know!?!?! The c-section wasn't as disgusting as the vaginal birth, but still...I vomitted. Yes, I vomitted watching the second vaginal birth. It was like cream cheese and blood gushing out, and the lady pooped before the baby came out.

It scared the shit out of me......but lots of kids I went to school with still got knocked up.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                    At my first high school, we had to watch 3 birthing videos in 10th grade health class.

Two of them were vaginal births, and one was a c-section.

Pardonnez mon francais, but How in GOD'S NAME did that NOT work into scaring the kids into keeping their pants on or at least wearing condoms, I do not fucking know!?!?! The c-section wasn't as disgusting as the vaginal birth, but still...I vomitted. Yes, I vomitted watching the second vaginal birth. It was like cream cheese and blood gushing out, and the lady pooped before the baby came out.

It scared the shit out of me......but lots of kids I went to school with still got knocked up.
                    I took Human Anatomy & Physiology during my junior year of high school. When we were learning about the reproductive organs, our teacher had us watch a video that showed about sex from conception to birth. The birthing portion of the video showed a woman vaginally giving birth to her child and all the girls in the room (including me) all thought "GAH! OMG I'm not having sex" and the expression on our faces from watching that scene was akin to when guys see other guys get their um...family jewels cracked. If I get kids, I only want pics from when they first put the baby in my arms and there on in the hospital, none of the gory stuff.
                    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                      the lady pooped before the baby came out.
                      That's very common from what I hear.

I can't remember if my health ed class ever watched videos like that. If we did, I'm sure I shut my eyes and went to my Happy Place during the nastier bits. I DO remember being subjected to videos of an aunt's C-sections when I was younger, and I was old enough even then to know I Did. NOT. Ever. Want. kids.
                      ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                        I took Human Anatomy & Physiology during my junior year of high school. When we were learning about the reproductive organs, our teacher had us watch a video that showed about sex from conception to birth. The birthing portion of the video showed a woman vaginally giving birth to her child and all the girls in the room (including me) all thought "GAH! OMG I'm not having sex" and the expression on our faces from watching that scene was akin to when guys see other guys get their um...family jewels cracked. If I get kids, I only want pics from when they first put the baby in my arms and there on in the hospital, none of the gory stuff.
                        I remember having that video, except that the lady had a water birth at home. Not as gory as I thought it was...ironically I can't even watch gory scenes in a movie.

Quoth Amethyst Hunter View Post
                        That's very common from what I hear.

I can't remember if my health ed class ever watched videos like that. If we did, I'm sure I shut my eyes and went to my Happy Place during the nastier bits. I DO remember being subjected to videos of an aunt's C-sections when I was younger, and I was old enough even then to know I Did. NOT. Ever. Want. kids.
                        So glad I didn't get THAT!
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

It wouldn't have been so bad if there had been a warning, but there I was happily flipping through the pics and BAM!

Maybe it bothers me more because it's someone I know?

And recently gore has been grossing me out more than usual; must be the pregnancy hormones or something. I am hoping after the baby is born I will get my gore-groove back because I still haven't seen "Audition" and I really want to.
                          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I don't want to see pictures of your personal parts, never, not ever, ever, especially not with the head of a creature splitting them apart.

There are things I don't want to know about the my friends or acquaintances or anyone, really.
                            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                            HR believes the first person in the door
                            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                            Document everything
                            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                            X