This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas beaches

(If this should be in advice please move)

I'm really wanting to take a beach vacation this summer, but when we went to Padre Island last year I was really disappointed in all the trash that was on the beach (I'll have to look for some of the pics I took - it was terrible). We were told that it was remnants from Katrina as well as trash from cruise ships. The areas in front of the hotels were okay, but we were beach camping on the other end of the island.

Since then, the Gulf coast has been hit by Ike and I don't know what all. So my question is:

"How's the Gulf coast beaches looking this year?"

Momma needs a white sandy beach and a tall drink of something....
    TANSTAAFL

Sounds like y'all need to head to FLORIDA, not Texas. I recommend the west coast of Florida....not nearly as over-populated or over-commercialized as the east coast. In particular, check out Clearwater Beach, St. Petersberg, and Ft. Myers Beach. I've enjoyed myself in all three. Bonita Springs is also really nice. And I've heard great things about Sarasota and Naples.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester, the OP said Texas. Not Florida. I've been to Clearwater, though. It's okay.

I live in Houston, close enough to go to the beaches here any time I want and I often do. My favourite beach to go to is in Freeport, called Quintana. It's near the bird sanctuary. You can park in the campground for free too.

Here are some pictures from my last visit there. <link> I have more floating around on the forums here somewhere.

Avoid Galveston. It's crowded and smells like dead fish all the time. There's also more trash there then at Quintana.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
        Jester, the OP said Texas. Not Florida.
        I know what they said. I am merely trying to help them improve their vacation situation.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester: I'd love to be able to go to Florida, I haven't been in 20 some years. However, TX is a lot closer. We can drive there in one day instead of 2-3 days. (If we can't drive there we usually don't go).

EQ: loved the pics. Especially since it didn't look over-developed and crowded. I don't know if we'll camp or rent a beach house (trying to get some friends to go too, would make a rental much more affordable).
          TANSTAAFL

Comment

Again, Quintana is the place for that. They have little beach houses that are cute. Let me upload one for you.

This was taken a couple months before the hurricane but the link with all the pictures were back in February so they are more recent. Only difference is I went down on a foggy day then a sunny one.
            Attached Files
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
            X