This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prescription Doseage Question

According to the doctor I saw, I have bronchitis and an ear infection. Since it's been 8 days and hasn't gotten any better, I got some meds.

Amoxicillin
    albuterol sulfate (inhaler goodness)
    And the most interesting...Promethazine with Codeine Syrup

No questions about the first two, but for that last one, the narcoticy goodness that is supposed to help me sleep (past 3-4 nights, the coughing has been so bad that it made my throat hurt and I got maybe 3 hours of sleep each night), I check the dose I'm supposed to take before bedtime and it's written down on my discharge sheet as 1 tsp. Tsp as I recall is a teaspoon. A teaspoon seems kinda small to me. But seeing as I don't want to OD, I figure I'd ask some people and seeing as in my dorm I'm surrounded by college kids, I'd turn to CS which actually has some adults that might have experience with meds.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Teaspoon sounds right for codeine, it's a heavy hitting medication that makes you able to sleep.

Comment

Follow your prescribed dosage. So if you do have questions then the best person to ask is your doctor. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

I've never taken codeine, but I would call the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist to clarify, or call the doctor's office. If it's right you don't want to take extra because you're not sure, and if it's wrong it's probably not going to do much. Though cough syrup is usually measured in teaspoons, and codeine is pretty strong stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is right.

If I'm sick and can't sleep a half-dose of Nyquil would do the trick. (First time I took that stuff I slept straight through my 8am class the next day; I must have turned off the alarm but didn't even hear it).
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
          If I'm sick and can't sleep a half-dose of Nyquil would do the trick. (First time I took that stuff I slept straight through my 8am class the next day; I must have turned off the alarm but didn't even hear it).
          I tried a double dose of NyQuil last night. Didn't do anything. But I've talked to my mommy and she said a teaspoon is right. No way it'd be a tablespoon.
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
            I tried a double dose of NyQuil last night. Didn't do anything. But I've talked to my mommy and she said a teaspoon is right. No way it'd be a tablespoon.
            Mommy usually knows best.

Hope you feel better tomorrow.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

So, nearly an hour later, I'm not feeling it...

Comment

sorry, some people are codeine resistant [like me. I get the all the constipation but none of the pain relief]

Ask your doc for something different?
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Oh my god, Codeine is the WORST if you're sensitive to it (like me... what a way to find out! I walked INTO the door jam twice and didn't feel it!). It does take about 10-20 minutes to kick in I think. I took it when I was badly sick, watched a movie (ghostbusters!) and then walked into the door jam. So I was mostly stationary the whole two hours.

Suffice to say, I'd rather suffer and feel my limbs then feel fine and not know I'm in the process of hurting myself.
                  Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
                  X