This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chili?

I've been craving chili recently, but I cannot find the recipe I used last.

I don't eat beans, I prefer cubed beef to ground beef, and I like spicy, but not too spicy (yes, I realize this is subjective). You guys have any recipes?
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

My sister (in law) made some chili a couple weeks ago with cut up steak and BBQ sauce...
    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

For the record, I never measure this.

Meat of your choice (2 lbs perfered) cooked up to death (browned in a skillet)
      Drain.
      Add 2 cans of diced tomatoes
      a can of tomato paste
      a handful of red chili powder, a sprinkle of garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne, a squirt of Frank's Red Hot and a half-to-a-cup of red wine. Add a couple shakes of Worcestershire sauce (the SO likes A1 when we don't have any) and a small onion.
      Simmer on low for 20 minutes and devour with cheddar cheese sprinkled on top.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I know this may sound wierd, but I've found that ground turkey holds the flavor of the spices best.
        I would give you my recipe, but I've been making chili for so many years I do it all by sight.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
          I would give you my recipe, but I've been making chili for so many years I do it all by sight.
          "Enough" is a perfectly valid measurement, it's a chili, not a cake. I'm mostly just worried I'm gonna try to do too many different things with it if I don't have some good guidelines.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

2 cloves of garlic chopped up as small as you can get it and sauteed w/ the meat
            1 onion, chopped, carmalise as you sautee meat and garlic
            1 can of diced tomatoes
            lots of chili powder, I'm thinking around 1/4 to 1/2 a cup. Taste it to see.
            2 jalepenos, chopped. with or without seeds. Depends on how hot you want it.
            some masa to thicken it up.(Masa is a type of flour, all purpose will work in a pinch. Do it tbs by tbs no more than 1/4 a cup.
            Salt to taste

Comment

I like meat AND beans, but to each their own.

Some ingredients I would suggest:

Garlic--of course! Everything's better with garlic!
              Serrano peppers--in my opinion better flavor than jalapenos, and actually more heat.
              Poblano peppers--a nice flavorful mild pepper.
              Ancho peppers (dried poblanos) and/or chipotle peppers (dried jalapenos)--provide a nice smokiness in addition to their pepper flavor.
              Chocolate--yes, chocolate! It adds a nice richness to the chili, and you never actually taste the chocolatiness. It is actually a very traditional and classic ingredient for chili. (I melt semi-sweet chocolate chips in the chili.)
              Onions--I prefer nice sharp white onions, but whatever works for you. Dice them fine and sautee them (perhaps with the garlic) and they add so much.

Remember, it's chili. Try different things. I did. Trust me, the above is by no means my complete list....but I have to keep some of my secrets, ya know!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

My usual chili ingredient list:

Stuff:
                Onion
                Bell Pepper
                Green chili (fresh or canned)
                Celery (1-2 ribs)
                Garlic
                Meat (I use ground beef, but cubed would work just as well)

Spices:
                Chili Powder
                Cumin (Smoky, not spicy, I LOVE cumin)
                Celery salt/celery seed (just a pinch)
                Red pepper flakes
                Sugar (yes, really)
                Oregano
                Lots of black pepper

Sauce:
                2 cans of tomato soup
                1 can of tomato sauce

Don't add much salt (if any) because there's a lot in the soup. I like to eat mine with a bit of sour cream and cheese...maybe some crumbled crackers or tortilla chips. Mmmmmm.
                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
                X