This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm living in a Hitchcock movie...

OK, well not really, but we have a bird trying to build a nest inside the roof of our balcony. She's going up in the space around the corner post. My roommate stuffed some plastic bags up there to block it, and the birds managed to get in during the night. I found one of the bags on the balcony this morning, and I watched as a beak poked out of the space, and then birdy popped out and flew off. At the moment she's perched on the bag looking for a way in. And now my roommate is out there with a broom. Her refrain: "I'm gonna win." The bird is going back and forth from the post to the tree right in front of our balcony. A little while ago she was on the railing with a twig in her beak just looking around confusedly, and then she disappeared but I could hear her crying. She just started this yesterday so I'm pretty sure there are no eggs up there yet (she seems to still be building). My roommate mentioned it to the complex office but they said if they move in before they can get to it we're out of luck (they also need to fix the gutter next to the balcony, which is pulling away from the wall of the building).
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Toss some moth balls in the hole, and keep it as covered as possible. Good luck though because once they set their minds on a place for a nest it can be hard to convince them other wise.
    How do I set a laser printer to stun?

Comment

And every year it's the same thing on my front porch. . .

Every year my Mom promises to have the tops of the columns covered up on either end of the porch so the birds won't build nests in them all spring and summer and cover the ledges with bird poop.

And every year those columns still don't get topped off and the birds come back. We've got a full maternity ward again.

So far I haven't seen Rover try to scale one of the columns yet in a futile attempt at catching his own lunch. Hopefully he's realizing he's too old for that now.

Which could be a good thing, because the sight of bird feathers on the porch and scattered carnage is not exactly the kind of welcome you want your visitors to come up the front steps to.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
      X