This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too skinny?

My family is up-in-arms cause they think I'm too skinny. My father had a fit on Easter cause he took one look at me & said that I need to eat more cause I'm much too thin. I told him that working at Sam's Club has me running around all day working & as a result has caused me to lose weight.
    I did weigh 145 pounds when I first started working at the club & now am down to 137. I'm not a big eater so that combined with the work I do, I can't help but lose weight. I eat a lot of salads & veggies. I stay away from stuff like cookies, cakes, pies & all that other garbage. IF I snack on anything it's either popcorn or pretzels & I drink a ton of water.
    I think that's a good thing. I'd rather be on the thin side anyway. I'm 5 feet 4 inches in height & I'm not going to grow any taller BUT I'll be damned if I get wider...lol.
    I wouldn't mind getting down to about 125 pounds. I'm only 12 pounds heavier than I was when i graduated from high school & that was 25 years ago.
    Last edited by Bright_Star; 04-21-2009, 04:28 PM.

I'm just trying my hardest to not gain OR lose any weight. I'm going to be a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding in October, and I'm not paying a penny for alterations!

Unfortunately, I think I have gained a couple of pounds....which is all too easy to do, for me. Eat a cookie, bam....Kim Kardashian butt pops out. Eat a cupcake and wooof! Thunder thighs!
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

When I was in high school my entire family thought I was 'too skinny' (I was actually about right for my height). Of course, now they all have to remind me how overweight I am. Gee, thanks Mom, my self-esteem is skyrocketing.
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Ah yes, I was in the lean category from high school till about age 25. Now I'm in "My mom doesn't say anything but always checks for ribs when she hugs me to make sure". =p

I just don't eat junk, ever. So <shrug>.

Comment

I think you're a fine weight. Tell your Dad to bugger off.
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

You sound good to me, but if the loss continues at that rate (it is a quick 5% drop in body weight, after all), you could be in for trouble.. The only thing I might add is to make sure you have some protein in your food intake. That will help shore up the muscles you use while working hard, and keep the body from "borrowing" from other parts of your body to make up for it. You might talk to a doctor or dietician just to be safe, as I'm the medical equivalent of the old guy playing checkers at the town store.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

The only person who gets to criticize your weight is your physician, so tell your family to shove off.
              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

There really are only two questions that matter here.

Are you healthy?

Are you happy?

If both are yes then screw em.
                "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

Although, just to be on the safe side here, most anorexics think they're healthy and happy. So while yes, that's what matters, sometimes the actual individual is not the best judge of their own health. I'm not suggesting Bright_Star is anorexic, just that those who are, don't usually think they have a problem. So it does pay to listen to outside sources even if you think you're fine.

If everyone you know in your life is telling you you're too skinny, you might want to investigate whether that could possibly be true.

Now, if a few family members have mentioned it, and 137 doesn't sound like 'too skinny' on almost any frame to me, then it's only a couple of people and just chalk it up to their opinion and move on.

Do some research - are you at a healthy weight for your height? If so, yes, tell them to shove it.

Comment

IMHO you don't sound all that skinny. You sound as though you're in good health and making healthy choices for your food.

When I was in high school, my BMI was less than 1%. My doctor suspected I was anorexic (a little illuminated trend of young men) and told my mother so. It was the first and last time I saw my mom laugh in someone's face.
                    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                      My family is up-in-arms cause they think I'm too skinny. My father had a fit on Easter cause he took one look at me & said that I need to eat more cause I'm much too thin. I told him that working at Sam's Club has me running around all day working & as a result has caused me to lose weight.
                      I did weigh 145 pounds when I first started working at the club & now am down to 137. I'm not a big eater so that combined with the work I do, I can't help but lose weight. I eat a lot of salads & veggies. I stay away from stuff like cookies, cakes, pies & all that other garbage. IF I snack on anything it's either popcorn or pretzels & I drink a ton of water.
                      I think that's a good thing. I'd rather be on the thin side anyway. I'm 5 feet 4 inches in height & I'm not going to grow any taller BUT I'll be damned if I get wider...lol.
                      I wouldn't mind getting down to about 125 pounds. I'm only 12 pounds heavier than I was when i graduated from high school & that was 25 years ago.

You're not skinny.

Hell, I'm Male, 23, 5' 11" and I weigh a massive...133lbs or thereabouts, my weight has hardly changed an iota since I was 15, no matter how much or what I eat
                      I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Ya sound healthy...and while it is incredibly annoying having people comment on your weight, I hope they mean it sincerely (that they are really worried about you)

mmhhhh prezels......
                        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Quoth Cat View Post
                          Ya sound healthy...and while it is incredibly annoying having people comment on your weight, I hope they mean it sincerely (that they are really worried about you)

mmhhhh prezels......

I love broken pretzels...mmmmmmm.

Comment

Oh me too!!!

Right now one of my healthy snacks at work is pretzel goldfishies.....yummy!
                            "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                            "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

... you are not too skinny. You're my height, so 137 is a totally healthy weight to be. How long have you been at Sam's Club? 8 pounds lost in a single month might be cause for concern if the trend continued for another month. 8 pounds in 5 months? Yeah, not so much.

Comment

Working...
                              X