Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salem and Peabody Mass residents. Anyone here?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salem and Peabody Mass residents. Anyone here?

I'm looking to get in touch from people who live in Salem or Peabody.

My plans are to move out there at the end of this summer and I need some info that I can't seem to find on any of the travel sites. Right now I'm just looking for three things:

1: Cheap motels, preferably with extended stay.
    2: Potential job opportunities. (As in, We're hiring, not "Oh you could work at the museum")
    3: Public transportation. What's it like?

I live about 75 miles south of Salem, but I've been there many MANY times. As far as motels, I'm not really sure. But I know there are quite a few postings on Craigs List by people looking for roommates. For jobs, go to boston.craigslist.org and look under north shore.

PS - I envy you. I'd LOVE to live in Salem.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.

Comment

I know a little of that area, but only because I got some relatives in that area. Watch out with the hotels in that area. There's more than a couple of rent by the hour places in that area. Most are along route 1.
      "It takes people like you, to make people like me" Another Night In London - Devildriver

Comment

I don't know about recently, but Lynn used to be pretty bad.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth sexiphatchick View Post
          boston.craigslist.org

PS - I envy you. I'd LOVE to live in Salem.
          Thanks for the tip.

I figure if I'm going to make a living off of my tarot readings I have two choices. New Orleans or Salem. It's like going to Hollywood if you want to become an actor. No brainer.

That and I'm tired of Vermont after all this time. hehe,

Comment

Just be prepared for a lot of competition. But you can really make a killing around Halloween time. Salem at Halloween is like Times Square at Christmas. Tourist central.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.

Comment

I live very close to Peabody/Salem. Here's what I can tell you, for what it's worth:

Quoth NateTheChops View Post

1: Cheap motels, preferably with extended stay.
              Of course I don't stay at hotels because I live in the area. I can say that it is a tourist area so hotels (even fleabags) are going to be much more expensive in season (which runs from May through October; the month of October is going to be extra-expensive, Salem is crazy full of tourists that month). The rates will always be much better in the off-season.

2: Potential job opportunities. (As in, We're hiring, not "Oh you could work at the museum")
              I can't really be very encouraging. My daughter is looking for work (although not that hard, so maybe she's not a good indicator ). She's not finding anything anywhere around here.

3: Public transportation. What's it like?
              Salem doesn't really have local public transit to get around town that I'm aware of. There are several options for commuting to/from Boston through the MBTA (www.mbta.com), but you would have to live within walking distance of the main stations to take advantage of that (if you don't have a car). A co-worker of mine from the the research lab lived in Salem and moonlighted as a taxi driver. Locals without cars were her main customers.

Edit: I found some more information about public transit. The Rockport commuter rail line goes through Salem on its way to Boston. There is also a ferry that goes to Boston's Long Wharf. The three bus routes in Salem are numbered 450, 456, and 465. You can use the numbers to search for and download route maps and schedules.

But it's a very cool little city; I certainly enjoy going there (except in October ). It's certainly worth a visit to see if it's someplace you might want to live. Even if you decide not to live there, you'll have fun visiting.
              Last edited by Dips; 04-28-2009, 09:28 PM.
              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Thank you Dips, I appreciate the info.

I figured the work area might be an issue. I was hoping to land a job at the Walgreens there but according to the website there are no openings at the moment.

I'm just going to have to really pound the pavement when I go there in July.

Comment

Working...
                X