This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our First Big Tunderstorm

That was an intentional typo, by the way. When I was a kid, I called them "tunderstorms"

Ahh....everyone in my part of Wisconsin had been awaiting the impending severe thunderstorm that was headed our way on Friday.

Friday morning, even when I left work at 7 am....it was warm! Dear lord, I hadn't been able to leave work without a jacket in months!

By 10:15 when I left my parents' house, I was wearing a tanktop and track pants and flip flops. It was already in the 70s! Wow! I can roll my windows down!

I got some food, took my usual post Days Of Our Lives nap, and was awoken by the storm sirens at about 4:30-4:40.

As usual, I'm ignorant. Whenever I hear that siren, I think "Go outside and have a smoke and watch!" instead of "Maybe I should stay inside...". I turned the channel to the local news, which was cutting off Oprah and alerting everyone in the viewing area that a big storm was approaching. No big worries of tornados or anything, but some hail and huge wind gusts weren't out of the question.

I stood out on the porch smoking and talking to my neighbor. I said "Isn't it nice to FINALLY be able to watch a storm without Sheriff bugging us?" Because my neighbor and I both like to stand outside and watch it storm (unless it starts raining sideways, then we go back in), but Sheriff, who thinks he's a storm chaser and uber meteorologist, always is out in the middle of the storm and won't shut up the entire time and tries to talk to us and tell us WHY it's storming and what causes it, etc etc etc. Just a pain in the ass like he always is. He's ruined many a storm gazing day for both of us.

But alas, speak of the Devil and he shall showeth. No sooner did those words escape my mouth and my neighbor nodded and laughed, did Sheriff's car approach the parking lot, and he immediately parked, got out, yelled at us "It's gonna be a BIG ONE!" (you say that every time, you fucking moron. Last time it stormed really bad, you tried to convince everyone that there was a funnel cloud on the edge of town and you tried to herd everyone into the basements......luckily, my neighbor said "You know there isn't, blas. Don't worry." I went inside to watch the news, and sure enough, NO funnel cloud. Idiot)

Then Sheriff ran into his apartment, emerged back outside moments later, putting on his storm suit, which is pretty much a full body rain suit, hat, body suit, and shoes. But the fucking idiot forgot the shoes, so he was stomping in the rain with his cowboy boots.

Now it was just starting to lightning very bright and thunder very loud and closeby. Then some hail started falling. Then some slightly bigger, nickle sized hail.

Sheriff was running up and down the parking lot, screaming at everyone about how BIG this storm was going to be, getting nailed by nickle sized hail, and picking it up and playing with it! He did the same thing last May when we had our first severe weather.

Ahh, but the storm only lasted about 10 minutes at full strength, then it quickly died and moved on. There were a few more rumbles of thunder for the next hour or so, but nothing else spectacular. Wow. That severe weather didn't last long!
    Oh well...at least we got a show.

I'm eagerly awaiting more storms. If only Sheriff would go away and go right to the eye of the storm....since he's such a pro at it....why isn't he out in the storm instead of playing in it right by where he lives?!
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

I love summer storms too Love to watch the lightning and hear the thunder. There's something about a good, hard, violent storm that is just truly beautiful to behold.

Sorry Sheriff ruins your storms

Comment

I too loved to watch spring and summer storms. esp where I used to live just outside of town. I lived on a small hill overlooking the airport. no matter which direction the storms came in I could have a 360 view

back when I was a kid I lived in a mid-sized midwestern city (not as big as it is now) and it was still fun sitting out on the front porch of my parents home and watch the storms go by
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

With any luck, he'll run right into a tornado and get carried far, far away.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth RedHeadPhoneGirl View Post
          I love summer storms too Love to watch the lightning and hear the thunder. There's something about a good, hard, violent storm that is just truly beautiful to behold.

Sorry Sheriff ruins your storms
          Me too. . . . I can sit out here in the rocking chair (have to leave the laptop inside though so she won't get wet), have a smoke and watch the show.

If it's not raining yet, I'll still have the laptop out and I'll listen to the online stream from NOAA weather. Not quite the same as having my old police scanner, but close.

I will go inside if the rain starts blowing onto the porch too hard or sideways, though. I'd hate to be blown off the porch and land in the neighbor's bushes.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I don't enjoy storms. I usually unhook my computer (just in case) and try to ignore the thunder and lightning. We had two bad ones pass through this weekend, one that produced a few tornadoes. Ah, Kansas.
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
              I don't enjoy storms. I usually unhook my computer (just in case) and try to ignore the thunder and lightning. We had two bad ones pass through this weekend, one that produced a few tornadoes. Ah, Kansas.
              Yeah, the sirens don't have the dulcet tones the creatures they're named after were supposed to have.
              I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

No, they sound like the world is ending. T-storms were rare for me as I grew up in the desert. Love them now. Wait all winter for them.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Never been a fan of T-storms. When I was young, they scared the crap out of me. Black Friday and a couple close misses with tornadoes didn't exactly help matters. Now it's a case of just how much stuff I can lose to a lightning surge. Not a fun prospect.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

We just finished installing the sunroom, I can't wait for the first thunderstorm of the year (they come late in the year this far up north) so I can watch from there, which has way better visibility than a window and way better rain protection than going out under the carport.
                    Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

I've always loved to watch storms....growing up, both homes had enclosed porches so it was easier to watch without getting wet. Right outside of the apartments is generally safe unless it starts raining sideways.

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
                        Yeah, the sirens don't have the dulcet tones the creatures they're named after were supposed to have.
                        No, they're just really freakin' annoying! A long high-pitched squeal for, what was it, an hour - it was driving me crazy! And don't get me started on the local meteorologists...
                        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I hate the sound of the storm sirens, especially because there is one almost right NEXT to my apartment, it's in the park right across the street.

I just like what that sound means......yay big storm!

But I do understand what you guys mean....especially when those sirens just keep going and going and going.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                            That was an intentional typo, by the way. When I was a kid, I called them "tunderstorms"
                            Hee! I still call them "tunderstorms" just to amuse myself.

Whenever I hear that siren, I think "Go outside and have a smoke and watch!" instead of "Maybe I should stay inside...".
                            I hear it and I go "OH FUCK!!!!!" Even if they're just testing it - the sound is CREEPY as all get out.

alas, speak of the Devil and he shall showeth. No sooner did those words escape my mouth and my neighbor nodded and laughed, did Sheriff's car approach the parking lot, and he immediately parked, got out...If only Sheriff would go away and go right to the eye of the storm....since he's such a pro at it....why isn't he out in the storm instead of playing in it right by where he lives?!
                            You never know. One of these days he might get (un)lucky and catch a one-way trip to the Emerald City...!

Quoth lordlundar
                            Never been a fan of T-storms. When I was young, they scared the crap out of me. Black Friday and a couple close misses with tornadoes didn't exactly help matters. Now it's a case of just how much stuff I can lose to a lightning surge.
                            Same here. I HATED storms as a kid, and I sure ain't any fan of them now. I actually developed a severe phobia in response to a city-razing F5 tornado that whacked a town not far from me over 15 years ago. The sky was very eerie that day - a frightening black with a sickly puke-green underbelly. It was years before I could deal with any sort of storm without going into insta-panic, and I always got a lot of shit (from family members, no less!) for being scared of them.

Needless to say, I take storm advisories/warnings VERY seriously. (thank God for weather radios) I'd rather look stupid and be safe than dismiss it and wind up finding out the hard way that yes, there IS a house-relocator in my area. (True story: in my old Illinois house, the sirens once went off during dinner, and it was *not* a test. Anybody else would have scrambled for the basement, but what does my (idiot) family do? Sit down and eat like nothing's going on! Thankfully it *was* nothing, but still, how do you know at the time? Sheesh.)

Edit to add: Oddly enough, I once saw a funnel cloud in Florida about ten years ago during a vacation trip in July. We ran into a seemingly mild storm and didn't think much until we saw this one weird cloud hanging straight down, and as we got closer we could see it was *moving*. Strangely, I wasn't freaked, though I did think "man I hope that sucker doesn't touch down, 'cause we're in a moving vehicle on the road and we'll be toast." The funnel wasn't well-shaped, and it just hung there squirming for a couple minutes before dissipating. I still have a picture I managed to snag of it.
                            Last edited by Amethyst Hunter; 04-28-2009, 12:40 PM. Reason: added stuff
                            ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Working...
                            X