This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Book Suggestions

I need to get some new books. I'm pretty big on science fiction and WWII history.

Some typical books I've read:
    Ender's Game Series (and Shadow series)
    A crapload of Star Wars
    Harry Potter
    D-Day (book on D-Day based on multiple soldiers' accounts, Canadian, American, British, French, German)

My friend just recommended Catch 22 and Slaughterhouse 5. Just suggested White Noise too.
    Last edited by Greenday; 05-05-2009, 02:57 AM.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

If you like sci fi and militaria, I suggest you check out David Weber. Some of the best military science fiction out there, I think. On Basilisk Station is a good one to start with.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Go to Baen Books and check out their free library.
      Also baencd at the Fifth Imperium for more downloadable books.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

If you've read The Hunt For Red October, you might like Red Storm Rising, by Tom Clancy. I also have his Rainbow Six, Without Remorse, and a few others. Most of his books are set during the Cold War.

Douglas Adams "Hitchhiker" series is always good for a laugh.
        You might enjoy Neuromancer, by William Gibson

One I haven't read yet, is V3, by IB Melghior. This is set during 1945, and deals with Germany's V3 flying bomb (filled with poison gas) program.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
          Go to Baen Books and check out their free library
          Yup.

Plus the Webscriptions ebooks are a good deal. 15 bucks for 5 books, in multiple formats, no DRM so you can read them anywere.

Couple more Baen authors that to military SF:
          John Dalmas
          Travis S. Taylor

Garth Nix has some good stuff.
          And of course there is Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files".... one of the few authors that I buy in hardback.... the first day the book is out and then inhale the whole thing in a matter of hours.....
          Last edited by It's me; 05-05-2009, 03:25 AM.
          There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Alistair MacLean and Frederick Forsyth might be good for you. MacLean's books are pretty short and a formula.

Forsyth are long, good reads - he can bring you into the world he writes about. The Fourth Protocol and No Comebacks are his best (IMHO). The latter is a collection of short stories. Might be good to get a feel for his style.

The Forsyth Wiki Page

B
            "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
            I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Just from looking at my bookshelves, the following come to mind:

Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon, or The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson
              Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
              Anything by Ursula K. Leguin (Earthsea series, Hainish cycle, etc.)
              The Seeker of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
              Light by M. John Harrison
              City of Dreams series from Beverly Swerling (Historical Fiction set in NYC)
              The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Hope that helps!

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                Go to Baen Books and check out their free library.
                Also baencd at the Fifth Imperium for more downloadable books.

So seconding that! I had a total brain burp or I'd have recommended it too. Quite a bit of Weber's stuff is in there.
                The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

the quantum gravity series by justina robson is good. there are four books: keeping it real, selling out, going under, and chasing the dragon. the books are a really interesting blend of sci fi and fantasy elements.
                  My Space

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
                    Yup.

Plus the Webscriptions ebooks are a good deal. 15 bucks for 5 books, in multiple formats, no DRM so you can read them anywere.

Couple more Baen authors that to military SF:
                    John Dalmas
                    Travis S. Taylor

Garth Nix has some good stuff.
                    And of course there is Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files".... one of the few authors that I buy in hardback.... the first day the book is out and then inhale the whole thing in a matter of hours.....
                    Lois McMaster Bujold - military sf and also some decent fantasy, I really like the Curse of Chalion/Paladin of Souls/Hallowed Hunt series.
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

If you're into military sci-fi, check out World War Z by Max Brooks... great book, incredibly detailed.
                      Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Wheel of time series.

That oughta keep you busy for a year.
                        I AM the evil bastard!
                        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

For Sci-Fi, I'd consider the following:

David Drake's Hammer's Slammers Stories. The Tank Lords is a good place to start. Also, his Lt. Leary books are great stories of war, politics, and unconventional tactics--with spaceships. Neem! Neem!

Margret Weis' Mantle of Kendis-Dai books were a good read, as were her Star of the Guardians Series. Both can be kind of hard to find now, though.

Simon R. Green's Deathstalker series is very good, if dark quite often. He also does the Nightside series, which deals with both Sci-Fi and Fantasy elements cramed into on small living space.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Military Sci Fi - Gaunt's Ghosts by Dan Abnett, it's quite a large series, 11 books in all, but it has everything, land assaults, sea assaults, air assaults, armoured assaults, trench warfare and a big load of sneaking about.

It's one hell of a roller coaster ride.
                            I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

The Harry Turtledove alternate WW1/WW2 books are very good reading. They can get a bit bogged down at times but are good stories.
                              Good customers are as rare as Latinum. Treasure them. ~ The 57th Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition.

Comment

Working...
                              X