This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swine flu and pigheadedness

SC: I've got a sniffle, do you have that Tamiflu stuff?
    Me: No, you'll need to go to a pharmacist.
    SC: Not even one packet out the back?
    Me: No.

Your average convenience store does not and cannot sell prescription only medication.

SC (pays for something or other): $2.50 for that? I'm not paying that! I want my money back!
    Me: (takes item, gives back money)
    SC: And don't get smart with me!

WTF? I didn't say a thing. And $2.50 is the cheapest convenience store price in the area (we sent out spies to the other stores).

WTF? It's a convenience store people! You pay more "for the convenience of it"

Regarding the "swine flu" = I was in my local pharmacy purchasing cold/flu paraphanalia the woman in front of me was wearing alot of perfume, I inhaled some and sneezed (as you would) the woman behind me gasps (literally) and as i turn around she is giving my a warding sign with her hands and screams "Swine Flu! Get away from me!" and runs out of the store. Go figure
    "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
    "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
    "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Way back during the early 1980s (when the disease was big news) I lived in a high-rise, and going up in the elevator I saw one of the kookier residents pushing the elevator button with his elbow.

I couldn't keep my mouth shut ... "Is everything alright?"

He rolled his eyes and said "Haven't you heard? AIDS!!!"

Comment

People are just plain dumb

Honestly...who expects a SERVO to carry prescription medication?! ALthough maybe she was convinced that we lowly retail peons are hoarding it for ourselves (or get it free) so that even when we get zombies, we can still sell them quality goods
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I don't know why they would immediately want Tamiflu. Most of the people that are sick around here just have allergies. If you have the flu, you'll generally know you have the flu.

Comment

Because Tamiflu is only really effective if you take it within the first day or two of showing symptoms. After that, you've pretty much got the flu, and good luck with that. I'm not completely convinced that it works if you do take it within a day or two.

I think it's the latest version of taking antibiotics for the sniffles. I go to work, and take my chances. Although, I do think the major pharmacies were stockpiling a small quantity of Tamiflu for their employees, so that we could continue being health care providers. If all the pharmacists get sick, no pharmacies, after all.
            http://tinyurl.com/43hger/.gif

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
              SC: And don't get smart with me!
              me: Sorry, sir...too late

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                SC: I've got a sniffle, do you have that Tamiflu stuff?
                Me: No, you'll need to go to a pharmacist.
                Not to mention that here, you need a prescription from a doctor.

In the typical fashion of people hearing what they want to hear, we had people here toddling to the pharmacy because they heard the that the CDC had taken Tamiflu off prescription and they wanted some.

What actually had happened was that the CDC was recommending more doses be released. Add to that that the CDC can't take something off prescription, that's the FDA.

Quoth raw456 View Post
                Regarding the "swine flu" = I was in my local pharmacy purchasing cold/flu paraphanalia the woman in front of me was wearing alot of perfume, I inhaled some and sneezed (as you would) the woman behind me gasps (literally) and as i turn around she is giving my a warding sign with her hands and screams "Swine Flu! Get away from me!" and runs out of the store. Go figure
                Well, alrighty then!

Quoth Rubystars View Post
                I don't know why they would immediately want Tamiflu. Most of the people that are sick around here just have allergies. If you have the flu, you'll generally know you have the flu.
                You figured this out, too, huh? I had quite a few people fish-eyeing me. I'm having a lot of trouble this year. I'm sneezing, coughing, my nose is running, and my eyes itch (to the point that I scratched one of my eyes raw).
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth magician5 View Post

He rolled his eyes and said "Haven't you heard? AIDS!!!"
                  that reminds me of one of my coworkers who refused to ever clean up blood because she might get AIDS from it... apparently just being in a room with infected blood will get you sick now, gloves and mask etc will do nothing to protect you
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I just got over the flu. I know it was the flu. No "sniffles" about it. I had a sore throat for a week before the big flu symptoms started, then nasty fever, fatigue, and horrible congestion and drippage to the point I rubbed my nose raw and scabby. Thought I was better, then it relapsed the following week. I'm still dealing with residual bronchitis and coughing from it.

Was it swine flu? Who knows? I didn't go to the doctor, mainly because I have a head on my shoulders and know the swine flu is statistically less deadly than the regular flu, and I haven't died from it yet, either. I did stay away from the paper mill during the worst of the illness because they would have just kicked me out anyway because they're paranoid. But I'm mostly better now, though considering going to the doctor for something to take care of the bronchitis.

Comment

Oh wow...I haven't heard of the swine flu in a few weeks! Wow!

Come to think of it, I miss seeing some of the local whackjobs and their facial masks strolling about town, especially at the video store....clutching movies in their bare hands that thousands of other people have touched.....opening doors that thousands of people have touched......oh that was such a laugh a month or two ago...such a laugh.....

No one makes me laugh anymore
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

and know the swine flu is statistically less deadly than the regular flu,
                        Really, I hadn't heard that! I did think that, since Victoria has over 1000 reported cases, and none of them have died yet, that surely an intelligent person could conclude it's not really that bad a thing??

Now - the Spanish flu..!! That's something to get worked up about! (well, it was).

Surely, any of these Tamiflu type things won't do a thing anyway? If you've got yourself a virus, then you've got the virus - end of story. Best you can do is not pass it on to someone else...
                        When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                          that reminds me of one of my coworkers who refused to ever clean up blood because she might get AIDS from it... apparently just being in a room with infected blood will get you sick now, gloves and mask etc will do nothing to protect you
                          I don't clean blood because I don't get paid enough to work with body fluids. I will mop pee off the floor but I don't clean feces or blood.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                            You figured this out, too, huh? I had quite a few people fish-eyeing me. I'm having a lot of trouble this year. I'm sneezing, coughing, my nose is running, and my eyes itch (to the point that I scratched one of my eyes raw).
                            I'll tell you the same thing I tell others with allergy problems: HAS. Unless you're allergic to something in it, the stuff works great.
                            Quoth Kaylyn View Post
                            I had a sore throat for a week before the big flu symptoms started, then nasty fever, fatigue, and horrible congestion and drippage to the point I rubbed my nose raw and scabby.
                            It's the fatigue that's always a dead giveaway. I've never had anything else that's felt "flu-like." Even when I had mono as a kid, I wasn't fatigued, just miserable.

Me, I just spend a day in bed at the first sign I've got the flu, and I'm almost always right as rain the next. If I don't spend that first day in bed, though, I'm usually miserable for a week.
                            Quoth blas87 View Post
                            Come to think of it, I miss seeing some of the local whackjobs and their facial masks strolling about town, especially at the video store....clutching movies in their bare hands that thousands of other people have touched.....opening doors that thousands of people have touched......oh that was such a laugh a month or two ago...such a laugh.....
                            Or how about paper bills? The filthiest thing that people come into contact on a daily basis, and most never consider as a vector for disease.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Slytovhand View Post
                              Really, I hadn't heard that! I did think that, since Victoria has over 1000 reported cases, and none of them have died yet, that surely an intelligent person could conclude it's not really that bad a thing??
                              Yer, with the figures that the BBC provided for cases/deaths the other day I worked out it has a 0.47% mortality rate worldwide.

Regular 'flu has a 1% mortality rate.
                              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Working...
                              X