This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun and frolics in Italy

Been a good time so far, even without much of an Internet connection. Currently hacking out a few lines in a hotel lobby where it has WIFI access. Chum brought his laptop.

Landed in Venice - very impressive from the air. Got to hotel, stayed the night, hit the jolly sights of Venice the day after. Things to see - pretty much everything. Things to avoid - piss alley.

It's a warren of small alleys, dead ends, and tourist traps. It's also a very good living example of entropy - the place is steadily decaying and you can see where they've yet to work on it, and where they are working.

Gelatto - thumbs up on that one.

Yesterday we headed to Verona, and we hit one of the pleasure parks in the afternoon. Good laugh, even if a chum's phrase book got soaked in the process. I'd managed to sweat through my backpack onto his overall guide book when in Italy - that's embarrassing.

Got to a Medieval Times show last night. "Don't throw things", they said, providing you with heavy plates at the time...

Today, we're going to try for Gardaland (another theme park and the biggest in Italy), having only just realised it's now Saturday and it's going to be packed.

Fun so far. Most people speak English. Am content, but the waistline is going to hate me when I get back.

Rapscallion

Squee, sounds like fun =)

Get some real gelatio, sit at a sidewalk table and watch the pretty girls walk past and give your feet a rest some afternoon =)

My euro-fix is sugarfree orangina, they sell the regular in the US, but not the sugar free so I can enjoy it any more =(
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Sounds like sooo much fun! You get to visit my family's country of origin, lucky dog. Keep us updated when you can and have fun!
      "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

Yesterday was the tower of Pisa. Today was Vatican City and the Pantheon in Rome.

Tomorrow starts with a light breakfast of the Colloseum (spelling?) and then down to see Pompeii, taking in a war grave of my accompanying chum's relative on the way.

Just glad I brought sun cream. Also worth noting that I've taken roughly 500 photos so far, and I've not got to the bit I really want to do some photography in.

Rapscallion

Comment

I've always wanted to go to Italy, amongst other places.

Have fun for me.
          I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
            Yesterday was the tower of Pisa. Today was Vatican City and the Pantheon in Rome.

Tomorrow starts with a light breakfast of the Colloseum (spelling?) and then down to see Pompeii, taking in a war grave of my accompanying chum's relative on the way.

Just glad I brought sun cream. Also worth noting that I've taken roughly 500 photos so far, and I've not got to the bit I really want to do some photography in.

Rapscallion
            Are you going to Sicily? If so you could catch the Bikini Girls 4th century roman frescos depicting women exercising wearing what look like bikinis
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
              Are you going to Sicily? If so you could catch the Bikini Girls 4th century roman frescos depicting women exercising wearing what look like bikinis
              I'll have to look at that link when I get home. However, I've been through an ancient Pompeiian brothel today and bought fridge magnets of some of the naughty images on display from there.

Tomorrow, probably Vesuvius and then hopefully time left for going to Erculano (Herculaneum) - similar story to Pompeii but less well known.

Rapscallion

Comment

I'll have to look at that link when I get home. However, I've been through an ancient Pompeiian brothel today and bought fridge magnets of some of the naughty images on display from there.

Tomorrow, probably Vesuvius and then hopefully time left for going to Erculano (Herculaneum) - similar story to Pompeii but less well known.

Rapscallion
                Ostia antica is also interesting, in a minor way.

It is pitiful when you can go have a beer in a bar that has been there longer than your entire country has been in existance, I love traveling in euroope because of that ... or staying in a hotel where some of the furniture is older than my country

Comment

Wouldn't mind seeing Ostia. However, we really should have had another couple of days in Rome to see all the stuff there (and for them to take our money).

It can be awkward to go on tours around places you learned about over two decades ago.

"So this Hadrian had a son called Antoninus. Anyone heard of him?"

"Yes! He built another wall north of Hadrian's, and it didn't really last overly long..."

I got looked at for that one. I fear I spoiled the surprise.

Rapscallion

Comment

Wouldn't mind seeing Ostia. However, we really should have had another couple of days in Rome to see all the stuff there (and for them to take our money).

It can be awkward to go on tours around places you learned about over two decades ago.

"So this Hadrian had a son called Antoninus. Anyone heard of him?"

"Yes! He built another wall north of Hadrian's, and it didn't really last overly long..."

I got looked at for that one. I fear I spoiled the surprise.

Rapscallion
                    <evil giggle> I have a recreationist persona of an Imperial era Alexandrian roman woman named Hyapatia Didius with probably on the order of 2500 hours of research [pre internet] on how I would have lived in that timeframe ... specializing in 'womens interests' so I know a lot about how homes were constructed, how households were run, naming practices, interaction inside and outside families ... and way too much history [not many grrls my age have read the classic authors ...and were disappointed that I never went anywhere that offered latin and greek] Though I admit my shu-nu-shi tribeswoman is my favorite, I have about 5 years of research, maybe 5 or 6000 hours of research done on her, and only about a thousand hours done on an elizabethan middle class merchant wife.

[not many people nowdays can be given a sheep on the hoof, and turn it into dinner and clothing]

Comment

Been around Herculaneum this afternoon. This morning was Vesuvius. Both were impressive, if dusty.

I've taken in the region of 1300 photos.

Rapscallion

Comment

Of amusement - chum phoned back to his house to make sure we'd be picked up. I left my car keys there instead of losing them on holiday.

A four-year-old was playing with them. It's a game of hide-and-seek when we get back.

Rapscallion

Comment

Turns out my keys were in my suitcase - was my host's keys. They were recovered pretty quickly, fortunately.

1.63Gb of photos taken.

Rapscallion

Comment

Back home at last. I have tan lines. I'm tired. Was good.

Rapscallion

Comment

Welcome back"Uncle Raps"
                              "Light a fire for someone and he will be warm all day,
                              set light to someone and he will be warm for the rest of his life" Sir Samuel Vimes

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.

Comment

Working...
                              X