X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Moon Landing...

...Does anyone remember it?

At the time, I was at home recovering from an appendecotmy. It wasn't a good time. On the same day I was released from the hospital, my father was admitted with diverticulosis. On the night of the Moon landing I was ensconced on the couch in the downstairs front room. My Aunt had the use of my bedroom because she was absolutely tharn.

Aunt lived alone in the old family home. She was a bit of a religious fanatic and KNEW that the world would come to an end when a human set foot on the moon. Therefore, she was spending the night with us. It didn't matter that I'd just had surgery and that we'd deposited Dad in the hospital that morning. She was older. She was scared out of her wits. I could spend the night on the couch. Aunt would have my room and Mom would cater to her every whim.

The family television was in the room where I was staying. Mom made popcorn while Aunt loudly prayed the rosary.

We heard the transmission from the Moon landing and couldn't make much of it. It sounded like:

"That's one (static) for (static) and one (static, static, static) man(static).

We scratched our heads and ate the rest of the popcorn.

Aunt ran to the windows and was amazed that the stars weren't starting to die off.

In the morning we had breakfast and Aunt drove home. I was allowed back into my bedroom. Although I still had sutures, we visited Dad in the Hospital. It would be a long haul but, in the end, he would be fine. Dad was in and out of the hospital for a good six months. However, he made a good recovery and lived another healthy 20 years.

I know my memories of the moon landing are bit odd. What memories do you have?
    Last edited by LibraryLady; 07-20-2009, 09:57 PM.
    Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

This is probably a bad time to say that my memories consist of not being born almost 20 years later, isn't it?
    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

I don't remember it. I was a fetus at the time.

My dad tells me he stayed up through the night to watch it.
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I wasn't born yet (my parents were 15!) so I'm making up for it now.

I bought moon pies for my office today.
        Last edited by JoitheArtist; 08-24-2009, 01:47 AM.
        "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Wasn't born then, but I heard it actually was filed on a hastily-constructed movie set near Las Vegas.

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
            Wasn't born then, but I heard it actually was filed on a hastily-constructed movie set near Las Vegas.
            I'll get my 2nd cousin-in-law to put tread marks on you... He was supposed to be the second scientist on the moon until they cancelled his ride.

Best thing I heard him say?

They had all the astronauts they could get at the US Senate and some seniorator was bloviating about the Senate being "the most exclusive club..."

Jim Lovell nudged him and said "You and I belong to an even more exclusive club."
            "Yes?"
            "Astronauts married to our original wives."
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
              I wasn't born yet (my parents were 15!) so I'm making up for it now.

I bought moon pies for my office today.
              Did your robot friend deliver them around?

I wasn't born yet, either. I was approximately -7 years old.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                Jim Lovell nudged him and said "You and I belong to an even more exclusive club."
                "Yes?"
                "Astronauts married to our original wives."
                ZING!
                The New Orleans Saints are your 2009 NFL champions.

Believe dat.

Comment

Yup. I was thinking I was sick that day. Laying on the parlor couch in seersucker jammies eating crackers and 7-Up, watching it in bits because I was in and out of that intermittent sick-sleep. Wouldn't have mattered if it was in color since our console TV was black and white anyway. I was fascinated and wishing I was in one of those suits.

Comment

I remember seeing it. I was only about a year and a half old. But it's my first memory./ I was at the church where I went to preschool and the tv was up on a counter. It seemed so far away.

Comment

I'm watching it now on the History Channel.

A heck of a send-off before I go to training

Comment

About 20 years before my birth, so no I don't. Though I do find it odd we haven't been back to the moon in about 35 years. Ok not odd just disappointing.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                          I don't remember it. I was a fetus at the time.
                          You and I must be about the same age.

Though I was not yet even a fetus.

I was born June 8, 1970, so I was literally just a few weeks from being formed, but at the time of the moon landing itself, I existed not at all.

Quoth Hobbs View Post
                          I'm watching it now on the History Channel.

A heck of a send-off before I go to training
                          Say what? Are you off to be an astronaut or something?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

I was 13. My parents had just bought a house but much of the furniture was still at the old apartment, including the TV. The landing was transmitted live in the Danish television so at 3 in the morning I got up and went on bicycle to our old apartment to watch the landing.
                            I can still remember the thrill when I saw the first pictures from the moon. A pity that the moon was abandoned that fast, I had expected cities or at least a colony.

Comment

Uh, considering I wasn't hatched until '76, my memories of the moon landing are a bit nonexistent
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                              X