Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Preparation: Did I miss anything?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Preparation: Did I miss anything?

For all those who know what college dorm life is like, I just want to know what I missed.

I bought all my school supplies and labeled them.
    I bought my bedding,towels,washcloths,handtowels,eating utensils,a lamp,a hamper.
    I already picked out what pictures,posters,and decorations I will take with me.
    I applied for financial aid and picked out what I will be accepting (basically everything they offered me)
    I talked to my roommate. We will be setting down rules at the end of the month.
    I talked with my cellphone company to see if I would be roaming where I'm going. I'm not btw.
    I have my laptop,virus protection software, and Microsoft works thing.
    I bought totes to put everything in. I already started packing.
    I've talked about travel arrangement with my mom. I won't be bringing my car with me.
    I left a notice for a leave of absence at work and gave the schedule manager my email address and got hers so I can tell her when I am available to work.
    I talked to my lady parts doctor and got my yearly exam, so I wouldn't have to deal with it at school. Also got my birth control prescription that I can get at any walmart. Big bonus!

I still have to buy toiletries. I have to make an appointment with my regular doctor for a yearly physical, my dentist for a cleaning, my eye doctor for a checkup, the bloodbank to make a donation, cash in my ginormous cup o' coins to have them changed into quarters.

Did I miss anything?
    "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Stow away your sanity? You won't need it =P

But sounds like you got everything. Well, except maybe cleaning supplies. Communal bathroom or suite?
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

communal bathroom.

I count the cleaning supplies as toiletries. Should I bring a vaccum cleaner?
      "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

Comment

2 things:

1. Duct tape.

2. WD-40

No, I'm really not kidding--I needed both of those often in college. In fact, after my first year of college, I made some care packages for friends who were just starting college--they all thanked me for including both items!

"Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

WD-40,huh?

Duct tape, I have. Some pretty purple kind, I may add

Comment

Quoth McGoddess09 View Post
            communal bathroom.

My school had a vacuum for each hall in the dorms. If your does, don't bother, because it'll just take up space in what is undoubtedly going to be a cramped space. (My dorm had the biggest rooms on campus but with two people it's still a squeeze.) A small broom and dustpan can be handy, though, if the room isn't carpeted (mine wasn't but we could bring them if we wanted. One girl basically did wall to wall carpeting in her room and even carpeted the steps on her loft ladder ). I didn't bother with carpeting until my second semester (which was a good thing, after the great beer flood of October Somethingth... that was fun to come home to at 1am ) Make sure you and the roomie won't be bringing duplicates of shared items.
            Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 08-04-2009, 12:27 AM.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth McGoddess09 View Post
              communal bathroom.

If the room is carpeted, that's probably a good idea. Otherwise you have to crawl into your RA to borrow one. A small stick one should suffice. I needed a bigger one because I was in an apartment.

Bring some cheap sandals or flip flops for the communal bathroom. I never had a communal bathroom while in college, but my college seems to be the exception to the rule there.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Vacuum cleaner? Nah. One of those rolling sweeper things, sure. Unless you have one of those really tiny travel vacs. Those are cool. Frankly, I only vacuumed when I left. Too much out and going on to do it any other time. But that was me.
                My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                  2 things:

1. Duct tape.

2. WD-40

No, I'm really not kidding--I needed both of those often in college. In fact, after my first year of college, I made some care packages for friends who were just starting college--they all thanked me for including both items!

Seconded for emphasis.

Also, a good swiss army knife (i.e. Wenger or Victorinox) because you never know when you will need a screwdriver, a scissors, a tweezer, a bottle opener, a can opener...

Comment

Small fan, unless you have AC there. Will they let you have a microwave? Fridge? Or will there be a student-accessible kitchen you feel you can trust? These are things to coordinate with roommate.

T.V. not really necessary, but can be nice, depending on your watching habits.

Alarm clocks are good. Speaking of which, bring one of those sleep-eye-cover-things, headphones, and some earplugs, in case roommate's circadian rhythms differ significantly from yours. Saved my sanity Freshman year.

Comment

If you can get some, wrap any fragile stuff in bubble wrap. Then you have stress relief for later.

My mom used to send me care packages and would wrap stuff in bubble wrap so I could pop it. I shared with my friends.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

You should be able to get on the official university's bookstore's website. Get on there, find out what books you'll need, and how much (approximately) they'll cost. Chances are you can get them cheaper elsewhere, but it's always good to have a ballpark. And, as Lupo can tell you, keep your receipt until after the first day of class. Professors sometimes change books last minute.

As part of your rules, set a mandated "quiet time" for reading/studying. Some really good headphones for your laptop might not be a bad idea. Also, take advantage of the things your college offers. Chances are you can get your BC prescription cheaper at the student pharmacy (assuming your college has a health clinic with it's own pharmacy). If you need to go to the doc, go to the health clinic! You pay fees for it, might as well use it. Ditto the gym, library, etc. You probably had to buy a meal plan (we always had to when we stayed in the dorm), be sure to use that, too. Although, I know, college food gets old after a while. I can't remember if you said you were bringing one, but a mini-fridge and microwave are really handy. And....the Freshmen 15 is a stark reality. Sucks.

That's all I can think of, but I am a professional student and have had some time on both ends of the college experience for a while now. So, if you have any questions, I'll be happy to lend you whatever advice I can think of. Best of luck!
                        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Have you killed your loan officer and left his head as a sign for the next guy they assign to you? There are some days with my student loan that I contemplate that.
                          How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

A small tool kit. Hammer, flat and phillips head screwdrivers, pair of pliers, a few nails and some assorted screws. That way if anything needs to be fixed or tightened you have it all right there.

But most of all be sure to take along your sense of humor. You will need that all the time.

Comment

I never lived in a college dorm, but my boyfriend did. He asked about a microwave and video games. I don't know how dorms work, especially your dorm, but I would look into the microwave, and possibly a mini fridge and a crock pot if you have space and they are allowed. You can do TONS of quick, easy, delicious, and healthy meals with a crockpot. Dump all the ingredients in before class in the morning and come home to stew, or spaghetti, or pulled pork for sandwiches, when you get back.

Comment

Working...
                              X