This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Told to me at the DEQ Station

I had to go get my DEQ inspection today to renew my car registration. I talked to the guy for a few minutes while his machine was reading my car, and told him I'd just taken it in to the shop because the check engine light came on and I new I had to pass the inspection this month. Luckily it was something minor.

He says "Well at least you didn't come in with it still on."

I said "Well that would be a waste of everybody's time."

He said " You'd be amazed how many people come through here with their check engine light on and think they're gonna pass. Today we've had a guy come through the line 4 times already. We finally got permission to 86 him for the week. He needs the catalytic converter replaced, but for some reason he thinks if he just keeps trying somehow we're gonna pass him."

Me: "Wow, what an idiot!"

And the guy laughs as I take my new tags and drive off into the sunset.

Seriously, what kind of moron would go through the DEQ line 4 times in one day? It's not like its a short line---it is part of the DMV after all. It's a bit of a wait.
    Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

well i do know one guy who got his sticker by slipping the guy a 20 i think...

Comment

One time when I was at the DEQ the person in front of me failed her test. The guy was asking her some questions to try to give her some suggestions on how to pass when it was revealed that she had had the catalytic converter removed.

DEQ Guy: ....but you'll never pass with the catalytic converter gone.

Woman: I know, but we couldn't afford to have it fixed and right now the car runs better without it.

DEQ Guy: Well, I still have to charge you for the test...and you'll need to get that fixed before you come in again.

Woman : *pulls out money to pay--without hesitation or complaint, I might add* Okay, here it is. *drives away*

Me and DEQ Guy: *okay, you knew you didn't have the catalytic converter, you knew you wouldn't pass without it, and yet you paid money for a test you knew you would fail...*
      My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

I'll just say with the check engine light...my old car always had that light on. Turns out the sensor for the light was bad. So that was never an indicator for me to get things checked...
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

In some states, if you can show that you spent $XXX.XX amount of money on *trying* to get your car to pass the inspection, they'll let it pass anyway.

Then again, she may have been trying to prove a point to her husband, who may be one of those guys who thinks he knows better than the law and thought the car would pass without the catalytic converter and the testers would never know the difference. Who knows?
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
            Turns out the sensor for the light was bad. So that was never an indicator for me to get things checked...
            Heh, heh, heh.... I had a car like that once. I disconnected the light before I took it in to get inspected and then never reconnected it.
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Yeah, our Honda 2000 and my friend's '99 Honda has had the check engine light on for years. It runs fine but we have no idea why the light is on and no one has been able to fix it. They tried telling us it was because we didn't tighten the gas cap tight enough.

Comment

Quoth casey13 View Post
                Yeah, our Honda 2000 and my friend's '99 Honda has had the check engine light on for years. It runs fine but we have no idea why the light is on and no one has been able to fix it. They tried telling us it was because we didn't tighten the gas cap tight enough.
                That's what happens with my Subaru. Escaping gas vapors hits a sensor.
                "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
                "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

Quoth casey13 View Post
                  Quoth ZumZum View Post
                  That's what happens with my Subaru. Escaping gas vapors hits a sensor.
                  And with my parents Sebring.
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                    Heh, heh, heh.... I had a car like that once. I disconnected the light before I took it in to get inspected and then never reconnected it.
                    In TX, the first thing they check during an inspection is to make sure the light works. The way you check it? Turn the key on, but don't start the engine. EVERY car with a check engine light ever made has the light come on during that, at least for a few seconds anyway.

If it's a 95 or older, they'll still pass it with the CEL lit up IF it passes emissions. 96 and newer is OBD-II, they will not pass a car with a lit CEL period. Though 96+ doesn't even get the exhaust douche probe, they just scan the computer for trouble codes. And "ready" codes to make sure you haven't disconnected the battery to get rid of a CEL before the test.

If you have a 96+ car and the CEL is on, swing by your local Autozone, they'll tell you why it's on.. for free! The only time my 2001 Accord has popped a CEL was when my gas cap had a crack. They told me it either wasn't tight or cracked, I pulled it off in the parking lot and sure enough, it had a crack in it. Bought a new cap on the spot and the light shut off on the way home and hasn't come back on since. It just passed emissions again a few days ago with 111k miles and the only "repairs" I've ever done to it in the 3 years I've owned has been a new gas cap.

Also, ALL OBD-II cars will pop a CEL on you if the gas cap isn't tight or it's otherwise leaking. Federal law.
                    Last edited by bean; 09-01-2009, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Quoth casey13 View Post
                      It's possible. A loose gas cap can set off the check engine light. You might need a new gas cap, as yours might not be making a good seal.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                        It's possible. A loose gas cap can set off the check engine light. You might need a new gas cap, as yours might not be making a good seal.
                        I've seen it happen. If you look around, some places will give new caps away free to reduce emisson-related polution.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Well, they told us that it was that after replacing after trying to fix it three other ways. It's more likely a damaged sensor.

Comment

The CEL in my old Ford (which, thankfully, i've no longer got) was constantly on. Heck... I got worried when it wasn't illuminated! Never had a problem passing inspection. Had no end of troube with that pile of crap.

Comment

Working...
                            X