This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplementing wages by overcharging.

My colleague got accused of stealing from a customer yesterday.

This particular colleague has been with us about 3 months. Because we do such a wide range of services, she doesn't know everything yet (nor do I expect her to!) and sometimes has to ask for help. If she gets through half a day without asking for help, she gets a well done.

Anyhoo, this old guy came in yesterday to have a set of negatives (a retro set) reprinted. My colleague checked the price list (which is in full view of the customers) and told him it would cost him £6.99 for a 2 day service. Old guy went mad and started shouting.

"I was only charged £4.99 the other day. You're wrong."
    "The price list says £6.99. That is how much it'll be."
    <screaming>" YOU ARE WRONG! IT'S £4.99! YOU'RE OVERCHARGING ME ON PURPOSE!"
    So my colleague said that that is what the price list said, and that is how much it would be. But if he wasn't happy, she would check with the manager (moi).
    "Well, I'll be listening to what you say, so make sure you're talking loud enough for me to hear. I want to make sure you really ask."

Hearing this (it was hard not to!), I stopped what I was doing and went straight out.
    "What seems to be the problem?"
    "This ... young lady ... if you can call her that ...is trying to overcharge me. You need to pay your staff more so they don't have to steal from customers."
    "Well, that is a fairly serious allegation and also very rude. What makes you believe that?"
    "How much would this be?" <throws negatives at me>
    "24 print retro set? It's £6.99"

"I was only charged £4.99 the other day. I want them for £4.99! You're both at it! Do you get a pound each or something? Don't they pay you enough?"
    "OK...I'd like to ask you a question if you can calm down. When you had them done the other day, did you bring them in as a film cartridge or as negatives?"
    "I don't see what difference that makes. I WANT THIS DONE FOR £4.99"
    "It does make a difference...and £4.99 is not going to happen. It's £6.99"

He was beginning to give up at this point. But he was gathering a nice crowd - including our security guard...

"It was a film cannister. This is RIDICULOUS!"
    "And were you offered an extra set at £2.99 at the time?"
    "You're telling me now you're overcharging me by £4!! I'll be onto your head office for this!" (Uh-oh, he gets a second wind...)
    "The £2.99 offer was at the time. Not now." (but not for long heheheh!)
    "Makes no difference..."
    "It does. Films from cannister are cheaper as the process is automatic - we press one button and the printer does the rest. We tried to save you £4 by offering you the extra set at the time which you declined. Because you have decided to come back later with a set of negatives to reprint, we have to do the whole process by hand and is much harder to do. Hence the small extra cost to you. Would you call that an unfair policy?"
    "Oh. So it's £6.99 then." (well and truly defeated and deflated. )
    "So...when can I pick them up?"

"You can't. I'm not accepting them in. You were rude and accused my innocent staff member, who was trying to help you, of stealing, when the price list is in your plain view and she was reading it to you. I'm not willing to serve you and I'd like you to leave."

"You can't do that!"
    Security guard - "Oh yes she can. Time to go."

OWNED!!!!!
    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Always appreciate the managers who will defend their employees. Always.

Comment

Our management structure as a company is very different to anywhere else I've worked. As the store manager, I am expected to do everything the normal employees do - serving, cleaning etc etc., as well as my managers duties. I would've been out quicker, but I was cleaning out the rug doctors at the time (another story in itself ).

That management structure, for me anyway, is a lot lot better than someone stuck in an office without any idea of the way the real world works. I just have to manage my time really well to get everything done!

Comment

Rug Doctors - those are the washer machines that are large enough to fit an entire rug in, right?

Do we still have that story of the genius who decided to bring her carpet IN to be cleaned?
          Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

We do. That was one of mine too...

Comment

linda, if you were a man, i'd marry you...that was too awesome!
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I really enjoy the happy endings.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Linda View Post
                  Security guard - "Oh yes she can. Time to go."
                  WHOOO! Awesome timing there. Spielberg couldn't have written it better.
                  No good news is good bad news

Comment

ROCK ON!!! Way cool!
                    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

A beautiful ending. It's always nice to see 'em get put in their place.
                      Everything I do goes through...

Think About It Central

Comment

your my hero for the day!

that was awesome!
                        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Linda View Post
                          We do. That was one of mine too...
                          I'd say we do...

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                            Always appreciate the managers who will defend their employees. Always.
                            yup.

a textbook case for how management needs to defend its troops manning the front lines.

Comment

Working...
                            X