Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Unsupportable

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Store Manager

I have mixed feelings about number 7. On the one hand, I do indeed have customers that have read a few web articles that somehow think they know more than me, with nearly a decade of experience with the precise technology they are having trouble with.

On the other hand, I work with vendor support reps that clearly haven't been on the job very long, and whose support skills seem to consist of reading crap off of the knowledge base and trying to push it on me if a few keywords line up. Heck, I have one guy my cases regularly get assigned to that doesn't even go that far.

Example: Customer has a CPU util. display problem on product X running version Y. Dumbass vendor support guy insists it's a dupe of known bug Z. Too bad the bug description talks about mem util. display, on a different set of products, running a different version of the code. He then proceeds to argue with me for ten minutes insisting it's a dupe. He even goes so far as to insist: "The bug never says anything about specific products!" Right in the bug title: "Customers using Products Foo and Bar may experience high displayed memory utilization."! (And my customer isn't using Foo or Bar.)

SirWired

Old 01-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Cubicle Zombie

DSL Tech support.. good times..

Me: Ok, and what version of windows are you running?
SC: Wait, let me go look. (Sound of getting up off a chair, footsteps) Andersen.
Me: <facepalm>

Old 01-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Phone jockey

Quote:
Quoth sirwired View Post
I have mixed feelings about number 7. On the one hand, I do indeed have customers that have read a few web articles that somehow think they know more than me, with nearly a decade of experience with the precise technology they are having trouble with.

On the other hand, I work with vendor support reps that clearly haven't been on the job very long, and whose support skills seem to consist of reading crap off of the knowledge base and trying to push it on me if a few keywords line up. Heck, I have one guy my cases regularly get assigned to that doesn't even go that far.

Example: Customer has a CPU util. display problem on product X running version Y. Dumbass vendor support guy insists it's a dupe of known bug Z. Too bad the bug description talks about mem util. display, on a different set of products, running a different version of the code. He then proceeds to argue with me for ten minutes insisting it's a dupe. He even goes so far as to insist: "The bug never says anything about specific products!" Right in the bug title: "Customers using Products Foo and Bar may experience high displayed memory utilization."! (And my customer isn't using Foo or Bar.)

SirWired

Well, there are exceptions to every rule - but in having done tech support/customer service for the past 13 years or so (started in tech in Jan of 97, been bounced around here and there and pushed myself to learn as much as possible), I feel it reasonable to make it a rule.

I remember a time where I called my computer manufacturer because the display on my screen was off - it looked like it was smearing on my screen - this was back in '97, and what did they have me do?

They had me reinstall windows >_<

The problem remained.

I figured out that it was the video driver a bit later on - sure, there was a time when I was just in my learing stages, as a person who only relied on the knowledge databases, but I strived to learn, and I learned PDQ.

Here is the difference I've learned over the years. People who know what they are doing tend not to argue and will often state the steps they've already taken, and may even collaborate as needed. Those people make me happy.

Then there are the people who feel they are superior in their knowledge because - "I've been an electrical engineer for xxx", or "I have a CS degree and... " or my favorite, "I went to college, I know what I'm doing!"

But the majority of my customers who say "I don't think that's it." have no idea what they are talking about and have zero experience with troubleshooting electronic devices of any sort, (much less cell phones, and or PDA/blackberry devices) and just assume I'm wrong, no matter how I put it.

So for me, the rule, generally speaking, still stands.

Last edited by godaistudios; 01-22-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Cranky Ol' Operator

Well, I've run into my first real problem with Win7 over this past weekend. I've been running into a lot of file permission issues, much like I did when I installed Vista (which was not an upgrade, but utilized disks from a previous XP (computer).

Using TAKEOWN was the only way to fix the problem with Vista, and I'm having to do the same with Win 7, only this time, on my C drive as well. Some of the folders I need in order to install stuff like Office and Adobe products (CS3 & Acrobat 9) were locked and would not let me set the file permissions manually.

I had originally ran TAKEOWN /a /f in some format or another (the options didn't quite work with those options, and I don't remember now exactly what I used...) to fix them, but it didn't really work.

I'm doing it again now with TAKEOWN /F <external drive letter> /R /D Y which as of this writing has been running for almost 15 min and reporting success after success. The previous attempt finish in under 10 min on each drive, so I think it only got the root of the drive in question.

If it works, I'll write a batch file to do it to my other drives (E, F, G, H, I & J) so I can stop having to say "Yes, go ahead" every time I try to do something to them...

I'll post results tomorrow in case anyone is interested...

Eric the Grey

Old 01-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quoth godaistudios View Post
Then there are the people who feel they are superior in their knowledge because - "I've been an electrical engineer for xxx", or "I have a CS degree and... " or my favorite, "I went to college, I know what I'm doing!"
As soon as I hear that, I automatically assume that the (l)user is an idiot. Sorry, but having a degree in an unrelated field doesn't mean *jack* when it comes to computers.

For example, whenever a certain former co-irker would have computer issues, he'd go on about how "smart" he was, and try to belittle my own intelligence. Needless to say, a 4.0 with a finance degree doesn't mean that you know everything outside of finance...and even that is questionable.

Needless to say, after being called an "idiot" one too many times, I got pissed, and left him to his own devices That is, "if you're so smart, you can fix your own damn computer."

Old 01-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Systems *****istrator II

Quote:
Quoth protege View Post
Needless to say, after being called an "idiot" one too many times, I got pissed, and left him to his own devices That is, "if you're so smart, you can fix your own damn computer."
if only I could have done that and gotten away with it, however, I was usually able to get away with "Then what do you want me to do, if all you're doing is countermanding everything I say?", or my all time favorite, bury them in knowledge until they don't know which way is up. Once I hear the faint "PHFLZZZZLE" on the other end of the line signalling a brain fry, then we can continue troubleshooting. :-P
Closed Thread