This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which side of the street?

On this block there is this bookstore and another bookstore right across the street. /BS

CM: Confused Man (on telephone)
    Me: Me

Me: [says the name of the store in opening spiel]
    CM: Are you the one on the left side of the street?
    Me: Well... that depends on which way you're facing.
    CM: No there's TWO bookstores I'm just wondering (Thanks for clearing that up Captain Obvious)
    Me: ...Yes. Well. If you're facing North then we're on the left side.
    CM: Which way is North?
    Me:
    !
    "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Which way is North? Well, it isn't "up"..lol.

Comment

Some people, including myself, often have no sense of direction. It's not like we all have a compass, internal or external, at all times. <(o_o)> All we can do is orient ourselves in terms of landmarks, which include streets. For example, I'd say "I came from third street and fifth avenue, and am walking on the right side of the street up fourth street, still on fifth avenue." It's far easier to imagine than a suble abstract concept such as "North" when you lack a compass to guide you.
      SC: "Are you new or something?"
      Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

It depends on where you live, too. Some places have almost all the streets laid out in a grid, running straight north-south and east-west. In such a place, it's pretty easy to keep track of which way is which, especially once you've been there a while. If you live somewhere like, say, north Georgia, the roads meander all over the place. So you probably know, more or less, whether you entered town from the south or north, but once you start making a few turns and the roads curve around, you need either the sun or a compass. And unless the sun was blinding you when you drove by, you're not likely to remember from home. Heck, I've mostly lived in the same town all my life (well, not yet ) and my internal map is rotated 180° with what I think of as up being south, possibly because I formed the thing before learning the compass. If I think about it, I know which way is south, but it always feels wrong.
        Last edited by HYHYBT; 01-22-2010, 05:24 PM.
        Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I definitely understand getting confused about directions! I'm always happy to give directions, but this guy was on the telephone and I couldn't point for him. So it made me laugh
          !
          "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
            CM: Which way is North?
            Me:
            That's a great question to ask on the phone.
            The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
              If you live somewhere like, say, north Georgia, the roads meander all over the place.
              Or our drunken donkey streets. There's one street in Las Cruces that runs into itself.
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth ShadowTiger View Post
                Some people, including myself, often have no sense of direction. It's not like we all have a compass, internal or external, at all times. <(o_o)> All we can do is orient ourselves in terms of landmarks, which include streets. For example, I'd say "I came from third street and fifth avenue, and am walking on the right side of the street up fourth street, still on fifth avenue." It's far easier to imagine than a suble abstract concept such as "North" when you lack a compass to guide you.
                Yeah what they said
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Helps if you have mountains to the east. All you need to do is remember that east should be on the right....assuming that you know your right from your left.
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                    Helps if you have mountains to the east. All you need to do is remember that east should be on the right....assuming that you know your right from your left.
                    For some people that's a bit much.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Fortunately, our downtown district has a nice slope down towards the waterfront, so I can typically direct people "uphill" or "downhill." Most people can at least figure that out...

Quoth Pagan View Post
                      Or our drunken donkey streets. There's one street in Las Cruces that runs into itself.
                      I lived in a neighborhood like that once. My ex-BF theorized that the planners had given a drunken monkey a pen and let it scribble on the map and that's how they planned the streets. BFF and I once thought about setting up a stand to give directions and charge 25 cents a turn...
                      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I live in Colorado Springs. The way we tell our directions is "Mountains are to the west." And we figure it out from there.

Comment

I always liked the set of directions that included: "Turn right at the corner where the white house used to be."
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Along the same lines, the next county over, where my stepmom is from, you'll get directions based on "the pink house." It's still there, but hasn't been pink since the 80's.
                            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Left and right are hard! They change every time I turn around.

And here we have two streets that run nominally parallel in most parts of the city, but intersect three/four times (depending on how you count it).

Comment

Working...
                              X