Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Bag Man

I've heard of hotels having a rule like that, though i don't think its very common. I think its more common in tourist driven areas because they want the opportunity to milk the tourists for every dollar.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Master of Numbah-Crunching

I worked at a youth hostel once and they had a "no locals" rule, due to previous accidents where some homeless folks used the place as a shelter and basically thrashed the place beyond recognition + harassed the other guests.

This was some 15-16 years ago when it wasn't usual to have a credit/debit card, and anyhoo we weren't allowed to keep credit card info. The guests paid a small deposit at check-in which would be refunded at check-out if the room was undamaged, and that was it.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Last edited by NorthernZel; 02-19-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Elective

i've never heard of that rule either
i can imagine it's to prevent trashy parties but there's plenty of good reasons to get a hotel room where you live

when my boyfriend came to visit we had a room, so we could just relax for a couple of days, go to a spa, go out drinking and not have to worry about how to get home.

i also once got a hotel room after my apt (the one in virginia) was broken into. i just couldn't bear staying in that apartment that night.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Cashier

God forbid that the power at your home goes out and you have no A/C or heat. Waddya do? Happened to me a few years ago. I had to spend the night at a local hotel because the power went out. It was still like 90 degrees at night fall. I tried sleeping with the windows open but i was just too hot!

Old 02-19-2010, 10:41 PM
195 lbs of well-contained fury

Quote:
Quoth wildman View Post
God forbid that the power at your home goes out and you have no A/C or heat. Waddya do? Happened to me a few years ago. I had to spend the night at a local hotel because the power went out. It was still like 90 degrees at night fall. I tried sleeping with the windows open but i was just too hot!
Honestly, if your power went out during the summer, you'd never get a room at a hotel around here anyway. Too many tourists.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:23 AM
Haunted Hotel Chick

I have heard of it, though I don't know any specific place that has the rule. It's designed to keep away the locals who just want to party or need a place to perform illegal activity.

It doesn't make too much sense, though. We get a lot of decent locals who are having work done on apartments, are flooded out of their homes, and unfortunately a LOT of battered spouses escaping an abusive situation for the night. Where are they supposed to go if no place accepts locals?

It makes much more business sense to simply blacklist the partiers and drug dealers, and still let the locals come in.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:28 AM
The New Office Slave

I have. It was called into question several years ago when I was living in Santa Barbara. The local news station ran a bit about people being turned away from the local hotels because they lived in the area, as their homes were flooded by heavy rains.

The hotels finally reneged, allowing the people to stay there due to circumstances. The closest hotels besides these were well over half an hour away and full up already with people who'd gone there when they couldn't rent rooms in the area.

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Store Manager

Most of the hotels here in Victoria have a similar policy.
At my location, the official rule is locals must have a cc to be checked in, but we bend that rule fairly often, and wind up regretting it most of the time.

Thing is, rooms almost never get trashed by out-of-towners. You almost never have someone from another province/state/country who checks in alone, and 90 minutes later you go to deliver a noise complaint and see that they have 15 people in the room. In the last year and a half, I've only ever had to evict 1 room who was from further then 2 hours away.

Off the top of my head, I'd say that about 50% of locals who get checked in get multiple noise complaints and/or smoke in their rooms (all rooms at my location are strictly non-smoking.) About 10% ignore repeated warnings and wind up getting kicked out.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Old 02-20-2010, 12:02 PM
stressed out broke pizza guy

Location: In the land of Green and Gold eating Pepperoni with an UZI

That rule would NEVER fly where I am. Even though I do not work in the hotel industry I visit them frequently when I do pizza delivery.

It would hurt during ordinary business times and special "events".

For instance -- the last two days several of the nearby towns schools were out (not sure why). Now we have (in my delivery area) several hotels with indoor water parks (one is HUGE). OK kiddies are off of school, lets do a stay-cation at the local hotel. the hotel parking lots were FULL to the gills and will remain so until Sunday afternoon/night.

another for instance -- Last weekend was Valentines Day. Need I say more???? at the pizza place were got BLASTED. a good mix of home AND hotel deliveries. Weekend before that was SuperBowl Sunday and YUP the local hotels were full ( not sure why) but again we got blasted out of the water.

we just had Disney On Ice go through town. esp on the weekend some people decided to "make a weekend" of it. anytime a major music concert comes throught town esp on a weekend the hotels fill up with "locals"

The point is is that most of the guests were "local" (meaning within say a 50 mile radius).

I've got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight ZONE.
-- The Fools -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

Last edited by Racket_Man; 02-20-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Haunted Hotel Chick

Quote:
Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
Thing is, rooms almost never get trashed by out-of-towners. You almost never have someone from another province/state/country who checks in alone, and 90 minutes later you go to deliver a noise complaint and see that they have 15 people in the room. In the last year and a half, I've only ever had to evict 1 room who was from further then 2 hours away.

Off the top of my head, I'd say that about 50% of locals who get checked in get multiple noise complaints and/or smoke in their rooms (all rooms at my location are strictly non-smoking.) About 10% ignore repeated warnings and wind up getting kicked out.
Very surprisingly, our locals here are pretty good. It's people coming up from the big city that cause us the most grief. It would make much more sense, in our case, to ban guests from Seattle than to ban locals. They cause us much more grief than the local business. We still have a few local "cockroaches," as we lovingly dub them, but overall they're not nearly as bad as the people from the metro areas south of us.