This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reminded myself of this couple

Wandered out to lunch today, all on my own (I must be so grown up! Did I check both ways before crossing the street?), to the greatest pizzeria buffet I have ever been to. And it reminded me of a time I went a few months ago.

Now, this pizzeria had a deal running in early January, where you could keep the cups you got when you bought the buffet. If you brought the cup back in, you got 50 cents off the price of a buffet. And these cups are good through the end of 2006. So, naturally, as I used to stop in for lunch on my way home from school, I have amassed a total of 6 of these cups. Beside the point, but still out there if anyone cares.

On one particularly dreary afternoon, I hauled myself into the buffet, cup in hand. I'm about halfway through paying, when a couple (I'd say, father and daughter, but I'm not sure) comes into the line behind me. Eh, big deal, but I just happen to be standing in such a way that I notice as the girl takes two of the cups off a stack the cashier has handy.

Cashier finishes up my transaction, then looks at couple.
    "Are these your cups?" meaning "Did you bring these in with you?"

I was *this* close to shaking my head and going "No...", but I didn't.

Girl says "Yes" as in "Yes, these are the cups we want to use."

How dare you, girl. You just stole those cups from her, and are using them to get a discount! *Kill!*

Throughout my meal, I kept glaring at them at their table, and debating going back up to the cashier to tell her she'd been ripped off, but I didn't.
    "I call murder on that!"

Well, if you're going to have what is essentially a coupon on display where people can grab it before they pay, then you're pretty much inviting that behaviour.

Perhaps they don't even care? It might be worth the 50c off the price to know that she's choosing to eat here, and not at the competitor's across the road. She thinks she's being sneaky, getting a free 50c off at this place, they think they're getting the rest of her cash (I don't know what the buffet costs, but I'm betting more than 50c).

Comment

With the discount? $5.49 or so with tax.

I have also noticed on subsequent trips that they are no longer handing out those cups.
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Ohhh, tell me, did they feel your glare? That's the best part!
        ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Quoth kerrisan
          Ohhh, tell me, did they feel your glare? That's the best part!
          I'd certainly like to think that they did, but my memory fails me as to whether or not I had to keep looking away...
          I do remember looking away, but have no idea whether it was because they'd seen me, because I was tired of looking at this trash, or because I was trying to grab another piece of pizza from my plate.
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
          X