This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet the Parents

This is a thread about my other job at the school!

The teacher I am doing my training with told me that she had an appointment with a parent after school. The parent in question was unable to attend her parent/teacher evening about a week ago, and asked for an appointment so she could see how he was doing. Teacher asked if I wanted to sit in during the appointment, that way I could see what it is like to deal with parents, and generally just get a feel of how it's done. It sounded good, so I agreed. Boy I wish I hadn't!

School finishes at 3pm, so the parent made an appointment for 3:15. Fair enough. We are usually there until about 3:30-4pm anyway. Teacher also told me she is very quick during parent/teacher meetings. Unless it is a problem child, but she told me that the child in question was a good student, so there was no reason to keep her.

3:15 arrives. No sign of the mother.

3:30: Still no sign of her.

It was 3:45, and we were just about ready to leave, when she comes running into the classroom.

M: Hi there, I have an appointment?
    T: The 3:15 appointment?
    M: Yes...
    T: Well it is after 3:45....
    M: Is it? Oh well, I must have lost track of time!
    T: Right, so anyway, shall we talk about *student*
    M: Yes, yes!
    T: This is customersruinmylife, a student teacher. Is it OK if he joins us?
    M: Of course. Would I be able to look through *students* workbooks?
    T: Um...yes, I'll just grab those for you.

I could tell T wasn't expecting this. She was just expecting a little chat. She got out a couple of books and handed them to her. The mother then proceeded to open the first workbook, and study it. And I mean study. She stared at the pages, reading them very slowly, flicking her way through. T and I sat there, bemused as to what she was doing.

M: Hmmm....his work isn't very neat is it? His handwriting skills aren't the best....
    T: Oh, well you see, the work you are looking at is from when he first came into my class. His skills have developed greatly over the past few months.

T pulled out a newer book.

T: As you can see from looking at work he completed just this week, it is a much better quality. I am very happy with how hard he is working...
    M: Hmmm....

The mother went back to the first book, and carried on studying.

M: You know, a cup of tea would be nice....

Teachers face went The mother was studying the book too much to notice. Teacher decided to pretend she didn't hear her. The mother simply sat there, reading her child's work in silence, while T and I sat opposite her, bored out of our minds.

T: So *student* is doing really well. He is very friendly with other students...
    M: *not paying attention* Uh-huh....
    T: He always pays attention....
    M: Uh-huh...
    T: *dropping a massive hint* He always looks at whoever is talking to him...
    M: Uh-huh....

It went on and on. I looked at the clock. It was 4:30!

T: Are there any questions you would like to ask me?
    M: Uh-huh...

T and I are sat with our arms folded, GLARING at this lady, and she doesn't have a clue.

4:45. She has been there an hour, but she has finally reached the end of his work books.

M: Well, I'm quite happy with that. I can see his work is improving.
    T: *through her teeth* Yes.
    M: Well, I'll be going then!

She looked at the clock.

M: Oh my! Look at the time! I hope I haven't delayed you two going home!

She walked out. Teacher apologised and apologised after she left, and told me that not all parents are like that.

In some ways, I am glad that the mother cared enough about her child to make an appointment to see the teacher. There are a lot of parents who wouldn't bother. But then again, she arrived late, didn't apologise, was rude and completely oblivous to anyone else around her. Plus, if all she wanted to do was read his books, she could have done that at home!

Ugh, what a rude witch.

My old teacher had this happen to him a couple of times with parents, everyone got used to being on time VERY quickly. If they were 15+ minutes late, THEY got lectured!

And I mean....a LECTURE. This man had made me literally crawl under a table in shame more than once, LOL.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Alas, you will many parents of that ilk during your career - I can assure you my mother (who is a teacher) has.

But like you say - it's such a change from those who couldn't give a rats arse and never speak to the teacher at all etc.
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Poor woman. There was just so much new information in those books she couldn't put them down. I guess it does feel threatening to some when their child gets smarter than them.
        The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

"Your son is very punctual, I guess his father taught him that."
          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Funny, you just can't seem to win with parents! Student does bad it's your fault. Student does well it's because of them, and heaven help you if you disagree with them on anything!
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

And of course parents assume that you're not working a full day anyway, what with your many "break" periods and "short" days and "holidays", etc. Nope, it's a full-time job and you often take work home with you. I get paid a comparable wage at my non-teaching job without the added grief. And people wonder why I'm not using my teaching degree.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
              X