This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, maybe for when Dracula invades.

So today, I got the oddest request for assistance in finding something. Quite possibly the most bizarre request for anything I've ever received.

Plain, ordinary guy walked up to the desk.

Customer: "... Holy water?"

Me: "... ... wwhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?!" .__Q'

Customer: " ... ... yuh"

Me: "Hardware store, sir. Hardware store. Hardware."

Customer: "So is that a yes?"

Me: "Hm. Well, if I may, if we don't sell the throwing knives, rapidly rotating holy book, massively overpowered divine cross, those axes that you can only throw in an arc, or that thing that goes plink, we probably won't have the holy water either."

(I actually said that. )

Customer: "Well if you get any in again let me know." *walks away*

I was particularly spooked when he said "again" ... so ...
    SC: "Are you new or something?"
    Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Next time, refer him to a Christian bookstore. They often sell small vials of holy water for ceremonies.
    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

None in this area. Predominantly Jewish.

May have directed the person to the local GameStop to preorder the next Castlevania game. But of course I have already made that reference tonight...

I wonder what makes holy water holy. I'm sure being brewed in a sieve is out, as well as being created in a hole. I know that you can't make food kosher by having a Rabbi "bless" it, so I'm hesitant to say that holy water is made holy by "blessing" it as well. It can't be that cheap. Maybe there's some electric thingamajig that you plug in and pour water into it, [b]and it slowly makes the water holy.
      Last edited by ShadowTiger; 04-19-2010, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Or to a church...

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

A church would probably be the next best bet. Although, it depends on the "flavor" of the church. I've never been to one that used holy water, so I'm a bit clueless.

Although, I still can't get past the fact that the guy walked into a hardware store for this. I guess he wants his home improvement project to be blessed?
          The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Quoth incognitocook View Post
            A church would probably be the next best bet. Although, it depends on the "flavor" of the church. I've never been to one that used holy water, so I'm a bit clueless.
            OOH Churches have flavors? lol as soon as I read this, an image popped into my head of me walking into a church, and asking the nearest person "Grape?" and when I get an odd glare, I walk out to search for the truly flavored churches. Mm. No, but seriously, if the church doesn't have holy water, it's gotta be the rotating holy book. That thing doesn't let anything near. <3

Although, I still can't get past the fact that the guy walked into a hardware store for this. I guess he wants his home improvement project to be blessed?
            It worries me sometimes. The staff of the store help so many people so expertly and with such care and compassion that the customers can't help but be impressed. From the inside, I think that the store is far too messy. There's far too little upkeep. Only about 76% of the things have a price at all, and 8% of the remainder has an incorrect price. But when the people are happy, they spread the good will and cheer, and then expectations rise. "Wow, you guys have everything!" So now we have to have everything.

I wonder what it would take to convince corporate to send us livestock. It would be so interesting to ride up to a customer on the back of a goat.

Comment

Quoth ShadowTiger View Post
              I know that you can't make food kosher by having a Rabbi "bless" it, so I'm hesitant to say that holy water is made holy by "blessing" it as well. It can't be that cheap.
              make your own holy water! in 7 easy steps

but here's what wikipedia has to say about it
              If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
              ^_^

Comment

How do you make holy water? You boil the hell out of it.

And yes, it's just blessed water.

ETA: GF, that might be a way to make holy water, but not in any Christian tradition.
                Last edited by Magpie; 04-19-2010, 09:05 PM. Reason: Just read article.

Comment

I'm sorry, but the first thing I thought when I read that was 'Bethany, bless the sink!'

That's... just a little too odd. I thought the 'do you serve food here?' questions I usually get are odd, but a nutjob who thinks he's a member of the Belmont family just blew every other weird question out of the water.
                  My other car is a Mackinaw.

Comment

Quoth ZedOmega View Post
                    I'm sorry, but the first thing I thought when I read that was 'Bethany, bless the sink!'
                    didn't she use a baseball hand signal for that?
                    If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
                    ^_^

Comment

Quoth incognitocook View Post
                      A lot of the Catholic ones around here have a font.
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                        A lot of the Catholic ones around here have a font.
                        Font, heck. Mine has a little dispenser in one of the entrances. I'm not sure if it's empty or not, but originally, at least, people could fill little bottles there.

Comment

Quoth ShadowTiger View Post
                          I wonder what makes holy water holy.
                          Priests boil the Hell out of it.

Comment

Holy water isn't boiled, there are no steps, and the ordinary layperson cannot make it. It's simply water (preferably distilled, so there's no chlorine smell from tapwater) that's blessed by a priest. That's all, folks.

Churches will usually allow you to take a small amount. Christian supply and book stores will sell vials of it, or you can usually ask a priest to bless some for you.

And I can guarantee you that even in a predominantly Jewish area, you'll still find either a church or a store within 20-30 miles.
                            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

I believe the Leaflet Missal Company website sells holy water...
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X